Piracy, Smuggling, & Bounty Hunting.. Oh My...

Ripper

Hey guys,

Has anyone heard anything about piracy, smuggling, and bounty hunting? I haven't seen anything yet.

This may be a good topic for a future dev blog.

On my travels around the information present I haven't actually seen any specifics on this matter.

What I do know is that they are wanting to make anything possible for the player, emergent gameplay or however its called, so it's not about if there is going to be piracy or smuggling because i'm going to see to it that there is.. it's more of a matter of what tools they are going to give the players to do it.

Like:

- How do we board ships?

- Can ships be boarded during FTL?

- Is there going to be FTL restricting devices like a warp net?

- Is there going to be stealth technologies (not invisible but signal reducing ect)

ect.. ect.. 

you get the picture. 

I agree though, it would be nice to have more information on the topic, as it will effect alot of how i play the game give what tools are available.

That's a really really old thread, and I would much more like to have the conversation remain in here because anything said in there could be completely incorrect and just leave to incorrect assumptions.

But worth a read nontheless, some of the idea in it i agree and disagree with.

Like the RN's having charges and if you die to many times you end up back at the arkship... no.. just.. no... if i'm on the outskirts of the universe exploring and get bounty hunted all the way back to the arkship (meaning i've lost my ship and anything i build till i get back there)... it would make me want to quit... 

Think of how big a infinite universe can be, and how far away you could get from your base if you respawn at an arkship after being bounty hunted... that's a sure-fire way to p**s off a person to the point of not coming back...

That's a really really old thread, and I would much more like to have the conversation remain in here because anything said in there could be completely incorrect and just leave to incorrect assumptions.

But worth a read nontheless, some of the idea in it i agree and disagree with.

Like the RN's having charges and if you die to many times you end up back at the arkship... no.. just.. no... if i'm on the outskirts of the universe exploring and get bounty hunted all the way back to the arkship (meaning i've lost my ship and anything i build till i get back there)... it would make me want to quit... 

Think of how big a infinite universe can be, and how far away you could get from your base if you respawn at an arkship after being bounty hunted... that's a sure-fire way to p**s off a person to the point of not coming back...

You should check out the blog on resurrection nodes. I'm pretty sure that is exactly how they will work. The only ideas in that thread about resurrection nodes were to do with how much inventory is lost when you die.

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2014/10/10/resurrection-node-mechanics/

Only a handful of devblogs have been released since that thread and nothing that invalidates the ideas.

I think smuggling will be enabled by the tagging and ownership systems. If a territory holding player organisation decides to outlaw a particular item or set of items in their territory then that opens up smuggling. The question is whether there will be valid reasons for organisations wanting to outlaw stuff.

Piracy will of course be possible in some form or another no matter what, but as nora says the tools provided will shape what is possible.

You should check out the blog on resurrection nodes. I'm pretty sure that is exactly how they will work. The only ideas in that thread about resurrection nodes were to do with how much inventory is lost when you die.

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2014/10/10/resurrection-node-mechanics/

Only a handful of devblogs have been released since that thread and nothing that invalidates the ideas.

I think smuggling will be enabled by the tagging and ownership systems. If a territory holding player organisation decides to outlaw a particular item or set of items in their territory then that opens up smuggling. The question is whether there will be valid reasons for organisations wanting to outlaw stuff.

Piracy will of course be possible in some form or another no matter what, but as nora says the tools provided will shape what is possible.

Thank god it's not charges and it's just a matter of powering it and waiting for it to be fully powered... 

Good read nonetheless, and how.. how do you keep finding me things that i haven't read, i'm a good 70% through the DevBlogs and you still pick a one i've not gone to yet...