Moving a planet

norab7

I know this is straying from the topic a little bit. but Ive fancied the idea of a kind of Blink Weapon for sci-fi for a while now.

Im sure the weapon type could exist in many configurations. but here just a basic explanation to get the point across.

Think of the rocket assisted shells the M1A1 Abrams tank shoots.

wouldnt it be natural with significant technology that we create warp assisted shells?

Im thinking they would pulse in and out of warp along their path, or one long warp until it was close to its target.

these would be significantly expensive weapons to operate, so im sure there would be significant trade offs for something like it, but it would be an immensely accurate.

also, Im mostly yanking everyone's leg with the earth having survived, I know the last ditch effort in lore was the Ark Ships, that said the lore is also a bit open.

Things to ponder, did the sentient alien / 4th dimensional beings help earth humans to build the arkships.

in those 500 ish years did we figure out warp engines. How many mad scientists were willing to put everything on the line after the ArkShips left to warp the entire earth somehow. It's less that Im suggesting it happened and more just wanting people to leave it open to the imagination that it could have happened, but how would we know we all left on the arkships one way ticket to nowhere.

As for the colony ring, true enough Devis, I geuss Ill have to see what happens. If they go a similar path of space engineers or not where stations are anchored or not, if its possible to put station blocks on super captial class vessels or not. I mean we could just create the largest interlocked ring of super motherships, but then we also get into the problem the planets have. If terrain, dirt water, ect is moveable.

I really assume just to prevent this very thing from happening so the servers dont crash trying to compute the thing moving, that they will be either locked or stuck in place because of the dirt. or that theyll hardwire things to be immobile over a certain tonnage even if you technically had enough thrust or power to move it.

I could see them not wanting the server to crash, but the whole point of the game is to be unlimited on what you can do. So I hope they dont try to restrict it. But it would be a massive project that would consume many worlds. Im game for it. 

To be fair the lore is kinda strict on the survival of earth, I read all the lore today so unless i've misinterpreted it, it's quite clear...

Your idea for the warp weapon sounds very interesting, like a new style railgun, instead of speeding up a object to stupid speeds and watching it destroy everything.. you just warp it at the enemy..

This puts me to thinking about 'warp bombing' capital ships with a hand full of smaller ships.. Warping directly into/through big ships to get around their shields... It's going to be interesting when we get more information about how warping is going to work :)

It got me thinking of Stargate Atlantis when they would beam nukes onto the Wrath ships. 

I could see them not wanting the server to crash, but the whole point of the game is to be unlimited on what you can do. So I hope they dont try to restrict it. But it would be a massive project that would consume many worlds. Im game for it. 

It got me thinking of Stargate Atlantis when they would beam nukes onto the Wrath ships. 

Ahh see, you're giving away your age now, DevisDevine.. I remember when SG1 was doing it, never watched any Atlantis, but SG1 was awesome i thought.

Ahh see, you're giving away your age now, DevisDevine.. I remember when SG1 was doing it, never watched any Atlantis, but SG1 was awesome i thought.

Well it was the Daedlus that did it, but I thought they did it on an SGA episode. May have been SG1 I havent watched them all in years. 

If you have the planet based around a set of co-ordinates why can you not just manipulate the outward appearance of the planet when you are observing it from afar ?.. I understand that it wouldn't be an easy thing to do but i don't think it would be impossible.. 

I don't know. That may be possible if all voxels are bound to the planet and represented in this referential.

It clearly depends on how the universe is represented in the data structure, but I don't have that knowledge.

Also, if planets are orbiting stars, moving it will cause major problems, especially if the game cannot compute gravity.

That's the kind of problems arising with the idea and I'm not confident we can see and solve them all.

Regards,

Shadow

I don't know. That may be possible if all voxels are bound to the planet and represented in this referential.

It clearly depends on how the universe is represented in the data structure, but I don't have that knowledge.

Also, if planets are orbiting stars, moving it will cause major problems, especially if the game cannot compute gravity.

That's the kind of problems arising with the idea and I'm not confident we can see and solve them all.

Regards,

Shadow

To be honest, i was thinking about this before and if there is fully orbiting mechanics where planets orbit suns, and moons orbit planets ect.. I'm totally fine with not moving a planet, because no game i've seen/played yet has this in it, (other than non-sandbox games like kerbal)

But i'm still wanting to claim an asteroid that i can then use as a space station or crash into someones frigate.. Or even steal for the resources by crashing it into my home planet.

I had a pause in my use of the forums, and the website and much changed in between then, I read all lore parts, and checked the backstory tab, and the pdf which is about the same as the lore bits in the lore section.

Is there something im missing some piece of lore I cant find?

Personally I dont trust the AI the UN built to tell me the truth if earth was or was not destroyed for sure, or if it even would know.

I'm just saying I dont see any lines where the earth specifically was destroyed, heavily implied yes. In a universe with quantum resurrection and stargates, It leaves a bit open to the imagination of what ifs and possibilities.

I'm not a mathematician like some of the other members that figured out exactly how long it was going to take for the neutron start to collide with earth. So i cant remember if there was a time delay from the launching of the ark ships, to the time of the impact.

Also, I had a thought on if there will be a difference between naturally occurring planet material and player placed material.

As in, would it be possible to make a ship, then cover it in asteroid rock material as some kind of armor, or even to just look a certain way. Will the game allow for such distinction between material.

I'm guessing they'll be dictating all the things were allowed to build ships out of, but hmm

You know that makes me wonder if Earth and the Solar System would actually exist as an actual system in the game. It would be fascinating if players could enter our Solar System with their ship and see its remains, if there were any.

You know that makes me wonder if Earth and the Solar System would actually exist as an actual system in the game. It would be fascinating if players could enter our Solar System with their ship and see its remains, if there were any.

^ That!.. I will +1 you for that.

Going out and finding out what happened to the earth, could be some form of DU optional quest line, doesn't give anything but lore. You get to find out what happened to the earth and where the neutron start ect came from.. I like this idea.

I will remake earth with all the proper voxels i can!.. Make it better, stronger, faster!.. We have the technology!