Moving a planet

norab7

I was just wondering there and decided to post it... 

Can we attached thrusters to a planet or a asteroid and change it's location potentially taking celestial bodies as a spaceship ?

It came to me when i was looking through my steam library and saw planetary annihilation, where you can attach thrusters to moons and asteroids and send them flying into your enemies bases.

I know the idea of moving a planet might be to much for the game, but what about the small things like asteroids/comets ect ?.. small moons maybe ?.. 

In my head i want to think this is possible because 'everything is voxels' and we already know we can apply thrusters to creations we've made, but about other things?.. 

Can we attached thrusters to a planet or a asteroid and change it's location potentially taking celestial bodies as a spaceship ?

It came to me when i was looking through my steam library and saw planetary annihilation, where you can attach thrusters to moons and asteroids and send them flying into your enemies bases.

I know the idea of moving a planet might be to much for the game, but what about the small things like asteroids/comets ect ?.. small moons maybe ?.. 

In my head i want to think this is possible because 'everything is voxels' and we already know we can apply thrusters to creations we've made, but about other things?.. 

This is an interesting concept. I would say it depends if they differ things like asteroids from things like ships. I would assume a planet is a special entity and not just a voxel creation as they intend to have claim zones on the surface. 

But asteroids and comets without these could just be a massive voxel construct. 

And like Planetary Annihilation it would be awesome to use them and crash into planets on top of an enemy base. It could also lead into the idea of kinetic kill weapon systems to launch ahead of an assault.

NOOOOO Nyzaltar dont tell them about the secret planet moving warp device!!

and that the earth is actually still out there, just devoid of all life because of warp radiation. thanks mad scientists of 2536

I'm going to bet that planets are stationary, probably even if you mined it down to a pebble Its my geuss it will be like other games and not move once its designated as a planet or station ect. Could be wrong though.

NOOOOO Nyzaltar dont tell them about the secret planet moving warp device!!

and that the earth is actually still out there, just devoid of all life because of warp radiation. thanks mad scientists of 2536

I'm going to bet that planets are stationary, probably even if you mined it down to a pebble Its my geuss it will be like other games and not move once its designated as a planet or station ect. Could be wrong though.

Nah man you got it wrong. The radiation didnt kill people on Earth when they warped it. They just forgot to calibrate it to warp the people with the planet when they jumped it. So theres a giant orbiting blob of humans where the earth once was. 

And yes I would assume the planets are stationary. But what about asteroids and smaller rocky bodies?

Ah, it would really spice things up if asteroids can move.

Imagine chasing an asteroid in Space Engineers with a drill ship.

If they can move, maybe there will be tethers or anchoring devices so they don't go blasting off into space.

I haven't found it in the lore, but I also haven't seen it specifically stated earth is actually destroyed.

Though I understand how its good for them to let the earth die so they don't get gripe if they reconstruct it. though warping a planet might have serious side effects and change the topography or any other number of things in such a way that we cant recognize it. even if we found a warped earth in game we would probably never know.

Speaking of moving planets, say a group wants to construct a Halo like space station, would it in fact be able to move? Also... Getting planets up to a ridiculous speed and aiming them at your enemies would be great fun. Get mad at each other, throw planets, sign peace treaty, 5 months later planets obliterate everything

wait, is that part of the actual lore or are you making things up here?

I'm hoping that the big blob of people is in the lore.. otherwise i'm just going to have to imagine thats what's happened....

I haven't found it in the lore, but I also haven't seen it specifically stated earth is actually destroyed.

Though I understand how its good for them to let the earth die so they don't get gripe if they reconstruct it. though warping a planet might have serious side effects and change the topography or any other number of things in such a way that we cant recognize it. even if we found a warped earth in game we would probably never know.

Speaking of moving planets, say a group wants to construct a Halo like space station, would it in fact be able to move? Also... Getting planets up to a ridiculous speed and aiming them at your enemies would be great fun. Get mad at each other, throw planets, sign peace treaty, 5 months later planets obliterate everything

Isn't the earth in the path of a quasar or neutron star explosion or something before the 10,000 year sleep on the arkship?.. so it's assumed and a given that the earth is no more i think :)

Lore says that Earth was on the way of a neutron star. It is probably completely destroyed now... and by "completely" I mean that there is probably nothing remaining, not even a single asteroid.

ABout the subject, I can't be 100% sure, but I don't think that enabling planet moving is technically possible. It works in Planetary Annihilation because planets are not constituted of voxels, so it is easy to move the construct (and if you look carefully, you will see that planets are orbiting the star, even without thrusters).

Now, imagine what moving a planet means in Dual Universe. The game probably needs to update each voxel position, plus things constructed on the surface, plus players walking or orbiting it. I don't even speak about relative speed, gravity and all other problems that arise.

There was a question a few days ago about voxels falling down if you mine below them and Nyzaltar said it was not technically possible.

Even in Space Engineers, where you have less constraints about performances, asteroids are statics and cannot move or be moved.

I would really like to, but I guess it's definitely impossible :(.

Regards,

Shadow.

Lore says that Earth was on the way of a neutron star. It is probably completely destroyed now... and by "completely" I mean that there is probably nothing remaining, not even a single asteroid.

ABout the subject, I can't be 100% sure, but I don't think that enabling planet moving is technically possible. It works in Planetary Annihilation because planets are not constituted of voxels, so it is easy to move the construct (and if you look carefully, you will see that planets are orbiting the star, even without thrusters).

Now, imagine what moving a planet means in Dual Universe. The game probably needs to update each voxel position, plus things constructed on the surface, plus players walking or orbiting it. I don't even speak about relative speed, gravity and all other problems that arise.

There was a question a few days ago about voxels falling down if you mine below them and Nyzaltar said it was not technically possible.

Even in Space Engineers, where you have less constraints about performances, asteroids are statics and cannot move or be moved.

Regards,

Shadow.

Why thought?..

if you are on the planet you could not even notice it, you would be attached to the planet and the planet would act as it's own entity including all the players on it, it would not update or change for all the players on the planet..

If you have the planet based around a set of co-ordinates why can you not just manipulate the outward appearance of the planet when you are observing it from afar ?.. I understand that it wouldn't be an easy thing to do but i don't think it would be impossible.. 

Regards,

Shadow.

Thats interesting, so gravity wont interact with the planets own voxels then? Just voxel entities?

As for moving the planet itself, while it should be doable, I dont think it should be implemented. While I would love building a huge planet moving machine there are thousands of territory claims that may be activated on there. I would expect the whole planet to be made different than other voxel constructs. 

However I would expect there to be smaller, voxel asteroids that dont follow these restrictions and act more like the constructs we will be making. I would expect that you could attach thrusters to these or even just push them with your ship and they  move freely in space. 

Think Starmade, the planets orbit the sun but you cant move them. However the asteroids that are smaller you can. 

If they arent putting limits to size, I fully expect someone to make a ring world in a few years from the release. And if thats the case it should be movable, just requires a lot of thrusters and powers. 

And while I dont think full sized planets will be possible I fully expect to be able to launch kinetic weapons at max speed using captures asteroids. Launch them at an enemies base on a planet before attacking with your fleet. 

As for moving the planet itself, while it should be doable, I dont think it should be implemented. While I would love building a huge planet moving machine there are thousands of territory claims that may be activated on there. I would expect the whole planet to be made different than other voxel constructs. 

But then if you don't want someone to move the planet... You can go to war with them and stop them :)

Moving a planet could just be that expensive that it would need to be a global scale event that the entire planets population would need to help with, any single organisation or empire would never be able to afford the construction of the device to move the planet..

With the theoretical Quantum Engine that I am working on you could hurl a planet... That is if you have obscene amounts of energy to spare. I am talking about many times more than a stargate needs. So yeah, I would be happy with just "tossing rocks" from an asteroid belt.

With the theoretical Quantum Engine that I am working on you could hurl a planet... That is if you have obscene amounts of energy to spare. I am talking about many times more than a stargate needs. So yeah, I would be happy with just "tossing rocks" from an asteroid belt.

Doesn't your engine just jump very small distances at once though?.. so wouldn't it just stop dead if you stopped applying power ?

Fix the engine to the rock, program the route and activate - done!

If you go slower then light than the energy requirement becomes quite low. The asteroids themselves are quite small but even 100'000 km/h provides them with a terrifying momentum.

Fix the engine to the rock, program the route and activate - done!

If you go slower then light than the energy requirement becomes quite low. The asteroids themselves are quite small but even 100'000 km/h provides them with a terrifying momentum.

Not that i'm picking at your ideas or anything, but wouldn't your engines give zero momentum as it's jumping the object not moving it?... it would just jump inside another object rather than crash into it traditionally?...

Could be an interesting weapon style that actually... 

But then again would it crash into it.. your SoC would mean you'd just pick up more and more items at the edge of the SoC and they would never hit you because you'd jump them along with your ship.... basically just forming a tunnel through another object....

I like this as a weapon type now more than a FTL method... :)

I know this is straying from the topic a little bit. but Ive fancied the idea of a kind of Blink Weapon for sci-fi for a while now.

Im sure the weapon type could exist in many configurations. but here just a basic explanation to get the point across.

Think of the rocket assisted shells the M1A1 Abrams tank shoots.

wouldnt it be natural with significant technology that we create warp assisted shells?

Im thinking they would pulse in and out of warp along their path, or one long warp until it was close to its target.

these would be significantly expensive weapons to operate, so im sure there would be significant trade offs for something like it, but it would be an immensely accurate.

also, Im mostly yanking everyone's leg with the earth having survived, I know the last ditch effort in lore was the Ark Ships, that said the lore is also a bit open.

Things to ponder, did the sentient alien / 4th dimensional beings help earth humans to build the arkships.

in those 500 ish years did we figure out warp engines. How many mad scientists were willing to put everything on the line after the ArkShips left to warp the entire earth somehow. It's less that Im suggesting it happened and more just wanting people to leave it open to the imagination that it could have happened, but how would we know we all left on the arkships one way ticket to nowhere.

As for the colony ring, true enough Devis, I geuss Ill have to see what happens. If they go a similar path of space engineers or not where stations are anchored or not, if its possible to put station blocks on super captial class vessels or not. I mean we could just create the largest interlocked ring of super motherships, but then we also get into the problem the planets have. If terrain, dirt water, ect is moveable.

I really assume just to prevent this very thing from happening so the servers dont crash trying to compute the thing moving, that they will be either locked or stuck in place because of the dirt. or that theyll hardwire things to be immobile over a certain tonnage even if you technically had enough thrust or power to move it.

I know this is straying from the topic a little bit. but Ive fancied the idea of a kind of Blink Weapon for sci-fi for a while now.

Im sure the weapon type could exist in many configurations. but here just a basic explanation to get the point across.

Think of the rocket assisted shells the M1A1 Abrams tank shoots.

wouldnt it be natural with significant technology that we create warp assisted shells?

Im thinking they would pulse in and out of warp along their path, or one long warp until it was close to its target.

these would be significantly expensive weapons to operate, so im sure there would be significant trade offs for something like it, but it would be an immensely accurate.

also, Im mostly yanking everyone's leg with the earth having survived, I know the last ditch effort in lore was the Ark Ships, that said the lore is also a bit open.

Things to ponder, did the sentient alien / 4th dimensional beings help earth humans to build the arkships.

in those 500 ish years did we figure out warp engines. How many mad scientists were willing to put everything on the line after the ArkShips left to warp the entire earth somehow. It's less that Im suggesting it happened and more just wanting people to leave it open to the imagination that it could have happened, but how would we know we all left on the arkships one way ticket to nowhere.

As for the colony ring, true enough Devis, I geuss Ill have to see what happens. If they go a similar path of space engineers or not where stations are anchored or not, if its possible to put station blocks on super captial class vessels or not. I mean we could just create the largest interlocked ring of super motherships, but then we also get into the problem the planets have. If terrain, dirt water, ect is moveable.

I really assume just to prevent this very thing from happening so the servers dont crash trying to compute the thing moving, that they will be either locked or stuck in place because of the dirt. or that theyll hardwire things to be immobile over a certain tonnage even if you technically had enough thrust or power to move it.

To be fair the lore is kinda strict on the survival of earth, I read all the lore today so unless i've misinterpreted it, it's quite clear...

Your idea for the warp weapon sounds very interesting, like a new style railgun, instead of speeding up a object to stupid speeds and watching it destroy everything.. you just warp it at the enemy..

This puts me to thinking about 'warp bombing' capital ships with a hand full of smaller ships.. Warping directly into/through big ships to get around their shields... It's going to be interesting when we get more information about how warping is going to work :)

I had a pause in my use of the forums, and the website and much changed in between then, I read all lore parts, and checked the backstory tab, and the pdf which is about the same as the lore bits in the lore section.

Is there something im missing some piece of lore I cant find?

Personally I dont trust the AI the UN built to tell me the truth if earth was or was not destroyed for sure, or if it even would know.

I'm just saying I dont see any lines where the earth specifically was destroyed, heavily implied yes. In a universe with quantum resurrection and stargates, It leaves a bit open to the imagination of what ifs and possibilities.

I'm not a mathematician like some of the other members that figured out exactly how long it was going to take for the neutron start to collide with earth. So i cant remember if there was a time delay from the launching of the ark ships, to the time of the impact.

Also, I had a thought on if there will be a difference between naturally occurring planet material and player placed material.

As in, would it be possible to make a ship, then cover it in asteroid rock material as some kind of armor, or even to just look a certain way. Will the game allow for such distinction between material.

I'm guessing they'll be dictating all the things were allowed to build ships out of, but hmm

Move a no planet, but simulate the rotation of the planets around the sun is the best. Simulate the rotation of the galaxy is also sensational. The construction of a map by the player would be very important.

Not that i'm picking at your ideas or anything, but wouldn't your engines give zero momentum as it's jumping the object not moving it?... it would just jump inside another object rather than crash into it traditionally?...

Could be an interesting weapon style that actually... 

But then again would it crash into it.. your SoC would mean you'd just pick up more and more items at the edge of the SoC and they would never hit you because you'd jump them along with your ship.... basically just forming a tunnel through another object....

I like this as a weapon type now more than a FTL method... :)

Thank you for pointing the zero momentum aspect of that engine. You are correct. I overlooked that fact.

Thank you for pointing the zero momentum aspect of that engine. You are correct. I overlooked that fact.

Well even if it doesn't work for giving momentum to a object it will still make a very interesting weapon.. :)