Personal weapons

Zepediah

Is there a possibility to having find and swords? This would allow battles happen on planets and with the jetback on the other post allows capturing ships more fun.

Not really sure if its in the game already or already talked about.

Hi Zepediah,

In the first concept arts, you could see a futuristic bow, but this image was removed.

Nyzaltar stated a few times that combat was currently not implemented and was a bit later on the road-map. Especially, he stated that combat won't be part of the alpha.

So I guess that the subject is still to be discussed.

I'm not a great fan of swords in futuristic universe myself, but it's not a bad idea either.

Regards,

Shadow

... depends on the sword and the gun... tell that to Luke Skywalker or another Jedi :).

Even a good old canon (with gunpowder) would probably harm you.

Maybe we could use nano-swords or things like this in Dual Universe.

Regards,

Shadow

Hi Zepediah,

In the first concept arts, you could see a futuristic bow, but this image was removed.

Nyzaltar stated a few times that combat was currently not implemented and was a bit later on the road-map. Especially, he stated that combat won't be part of the alpha.

So I guess that the subject is still to be discussed.

I'm not a great fan of swords in futuristic universe myself, but it's not a bad idea either.

Regards,

Shadow

Give me a good bow any day. 

Any chance of being able to develop weapons in a voxel editor like Planet Explorers? Because that would be great.

It could even lead into a system for making your own ship weapons like turrets. 

I saw it and it looks great. It reminds me of what Chewie had in Star Wars. He had crossbow, but...... ;)

I hope they don't have swords and bow and such.. It's a futuristic game, so it should be futuristic weapons. 

To start off the 'morpher' on your arm that you start with is said to be a starting weapon, so this does away with the need to craft starting weapons to get yourself ahead, and since you can mine everything and fabricate it, going straight to guns shouldn't be too hard to believe.

Other than cosmetic / for fun, I don't want to see anything to do with bow/swords.. I've just landed on a alien world after being asleep for 9800 years on a spaceship.....I know, i'll craft a sword... Just ruins it for me.. 

But guns need bullets. Sword is the only thing that works when you run out of them.

That said, from technical point of view mechanics of sword fighting seem very difficult to code. You need to implement collision detection, force and toughness differences, hitboxes on different body parts and respective damage severities... In this game this is too costly for too little profit.

But guns need bullets. Sword is the only thing that works when you run out of them.

That said, from technical point of view mechanics of sword fighting seem very difficult to code. You need to implement collision detection, force and toughness differences, hitboxes on different body parts and respective damage severities... In this game this is too costly for too little profit.

Laser Weapons run off energy though....

Those mechanics don't have to be made specifically for sword-fighting, right? They could be used for any object-to-player damage, such as falling things and whatnot.

Those mechanics don't have to be made specifically for sword-fighting, right? They could be used for any object-to-player damage, such as falling things and whatnot.

Wouldn't even have to be for falling damage or anything.. Would it not just be coded already?.. as everything is created by voxels (or elements) would the devs not already be coding in something to handle being hit by voxel constructs?

Space ships are voxel constructs and I hope that if i get hit by one of them a 1mph it will not hurt, but if i get hit at 100mph i'll die.. Would they not only need to apply the same code base to the weapons used ?.. 

I have very limited dev experience, but maybe there is some method that would allow for them to create swords and bows and shields and such..... It's just i don't want them, but i'm curious about how they would do it.. 

Wouldn't even have to be for falling damage or anything.. Would it not just be coded already?.. as everything is created by voxels (or elements) would the devs not already be coding in something to handle being hit by voxel constructs?

Space ships are voxel constructs and I hope that if i get hit by one of them a 1mph it will not hurt, but if i get hit at 100mph i'll die.. Would they not only need to apply the same code base to the weapons used ?.. 

I have very limited dev experience, but maybe there is some method that would allow for them to create swords and bows and shields and such..... It's just i don't want them, but i'm curious about how they would do it.. 

I guess they can make some fundamental code for being hit by voxels, and then implement it in a more specific way if needed

Give me a good bow any day. 

Any chance of being able to develop weapons in a voxel editor like Planet Explorers? Because that would be great.

It could even lead into a system for making your own ship weapons like turrets. 

There's currently no plan to create a voxel editor to develop character weapons.

At the moment, character weapons are planned to be mesh-based, and defined by developers.

The Dev team has already a lot on her plate with our current goals. Maybe far in the future, but we can't promise anything for now.

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.