jetpacks

Slaxx

i propose an idea that many will probably like.

will there be jetpacks in the game?

I certainly hope so.. Otherwise building space stations is going to be a very interesting thing to do indeed...

I hope there's a delineation between stuff like the MMU and atmospheric jetpacks.  It kinda bugs that in all of these games you essentially get a dual-purpose pack.

Make us wear appropriate gear for the occasion.  DU stands to be the only game in its genre which could have decent avatar customization; I hope NovaQuark doesn't overlook that.

I hope there's a delineation between stuff like the MMU and atmospheric jetpacks.  It kinda bugs that in all of these games you essentially get a dual-purpose pack.

Make us wear appropriate gear for the occasion.  DU stands to be the only game in its genre which could have decent avatar customization; I hope NovaQuark doesn't overlook that.

What about if the jetpacks just function horrendously when you are planet based or within a atmosphere? It would serve the purpose of having a space jetpack and keep the single purpose use (while still being usable) while on the planet...

But you're thinking more of traditional jetpacks, what about a jetpack that has ion-propulsion or some form of thrusters that are only in DU and can work both in and out of the atmosphere?... 

It's just that MMUs are directional thrusters with propulsion strengths calibrated to zero G.  That is to say, very light and precise thrust.  Jetpacks actually have to fight gravity which means way more thrust, way more energy, and way less precision.

Of course it's all future-pretend-science-fiction so NovaQuark could simply hand wave it if they wanted to.  I'm not passionate about it either way.

It's just that MMUs are directional thrusters with propulsion strengths calibrated to zero G.  That is to say, very light and precise thrust.  Jetpacks actually have to fight gravity which means way more thrust, way more energy, and way less precision.

Of course it's all future-pretend-science-fiction so NovaQuark could simply hand wave it if they wanted to.  I'm not passionate about it either way.

Well in the story posted in the Dev blogs they do have anti-gravity technology. So maybe this becomes available and is used in the jetpacks. Once you negate gravity the thrust is reduced drastically. 

Yes, there will be Jetpacks! ;)

One of the first gear you will probably craft (very handy to explore planets on foot, or facilitate how to build huge constructs)

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

Could you elaborate on the mechanics of the jetpacks?.

Such as:

-How long can you fly?

-How high can you go?

-Will you be able to hurt yourself while using them?

-Will they use fuel?

-Will there be upgrades for them?

-Can we hover, or will it be 'keep tapping to hover' mechanics?

ect.

nora,

@Nora: Jetpacks are something still heavily work in progress, so we can't give precise information on it yet.

However, we'll try to give them limited capabilities in order to keep hovercraft meaningful and interesting to build.

@Cavadus: We plan to have different propulsor categories: atmospheric propulsors and space propulsors.

So making jetpacks to move in an atmospheric context and MMU to move in space would make sense. 

I'll transmit this suggestion to the devs :)

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

@Cavadus: We plan to have different propulsor categories: atmospheric propulsors and space propulsors.

So making jetpacks to move in an atmospheric context and MMU to move in space would make sense.

I'll transmit this suggestion to the devs :)

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

Nifty, thanks for the reply.

No, no he doesnt. Because he is dead. 

Actually, you never see him die, just get eaten by the sand worm thing... So since he has a jetpack and weapons maybe he could have flown out later on or something ?