Ship design

jrhod99

Ok so NovaQuark mentioned a few things that I would like to talk about. First of is the AI's that you will be able to write yourself in code. Me being a programmer myself was very excited by this and i started thinking about all the amazing things I could do. As I was thinking about it I wondered two things. How much will you be able to code in?, and two will it extend beyond the basic ship functions. What I mean by the second one is will I be able to sit down and write a code that would allow me to fly instead of a regular space ship a giant robot that I built using the voxels. So basically to sum it up will I be able to build other constructs such as giant mechs that I can fight in or will I be limited to only building space ships.                      Thanks, Jared

The 2nd question is an interesting one.

I am not a programmer m self but it would make sense, at least I think it would, to be able move around with in a planet, using a vehicle of some sort, that was programmed to do so by the player. I think one of the devblogs has mentioned this before, might have been the Alpha blog.

But yes, in another post Nyzaltar mentioned that there won't be anything preventing you building a "robotic pony." I'd imagine this is true for other constructions, such as land units...

Thanks for replying I am looking forward to making creations besides ships and I hope they give you enough freedom to do that. The other question I had was would you be able to build buildings using voxel. I assume so but i wondered if you could create a building that could land and take of into space kind of like a capital ship. Thanks, Jared

As Comrademoco stated, technically, nothing will prevent you to build giant mechs ;)

About the limits of ingame programming, I can just tell you for now that all the coding allowed will be in LUA and should limited to automatize some basic things (like elementary AIs for droids, autopilots for spaceships, automatized defense systems and such things). More on this matter will be revealed in the future :)

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

The only fear I have about coding is that it would allow a small segment of players to dominate gameplay. I mean how much of the general public can code, let alone code well?!

True, but we also do not know how the economy will work. They may be able to sell their systems in the same way a good designer could sell smart and aesthetically pleasing ship designs. I imagine there might be some team ups with designers and coders. Not all designers can code and not all coders can design. Secondly, we are not sure how deep the GUI will be in what it allows.

True, but we also do not know how the economy will work. They may be able to sell their systems in the same way a good designer could sell smart and aesthetically pleasing ship designs. I imagine there might be some team ups with designers and coders. Not all designers can code and not all coders can design. Secondly, we are not sure how deep the GUI will be in what it allows.

Yeah, sounds interesting - and exciting - but at the same time people may not want to team up to produce. I play EVE and they have lost a lot of players not only owing to the type of game play but because it often requires corp membership to reside in the more dangerous lucrative areas which is advantages.  Of course it is still possible to advance on your own but it is difficult which partly explains why EVE has been stuck at 2008 player levels for years. In fact, CCP is pulling out all the stops to get and keep more players by changing and adding new game mechanics (ie citadels and easier skill training). Another solution of theirs to offset stagnant player count is to produce 3 separate games: Eve, Valkyrie and a first person shooter. This will fail in the end given technology, the same technology you are using, will be able to produce all 3 in a single seamless universe. 

Ooops, sorry, got side tracked a little. As I was saying, not everyone wants to be forced to team up with others to play. That said, I have no problem with a coder building my designs - if they can withstand the embarrassment.  Hopefully though  coding will be strictly design focused and will not include performance because that would definitely give a small segment of the gaming community an advantage. Anyway, as you said 'we are not sure how deep the GUI will be in what it allows', so it may not be an issue. 

• 2 months later...

What I mean by the second one is will I be able to sit down and write a code that would allow me to fly instead of a regular space ship a giant robot that I built using the voxels

Oh Yeha !!

Hey Jared ! I think you are one of my kind, my intent is to run the TOP builders end engineers and organization you are more than invited !!!

i was thinking about built a ship that can transform into a Gundan style robot for the battle, and like you I'm exited and aware of this program system,

Not only for the ship, i want to have a fully automated production line of my basic ships, also program mining drones, and sentinels  to work wile I will be off line.

XD

"Well said. Not all organisations will be focused on building or coding, either. Even organisations that focus on coding or designing ships may--once in while-- prefer to outsource or buy from others. The options are plenty and the game is emergent. To every man that which he deems best."

I imagine there might be some team ups with designers and coders. Not all designers can code and not all coders can design. 

I will be one of these. I don't know the first thing about code, but I enjoy designing and building. I'd simply give the coder the option: If the design would embarrass them, don't include their name. If it doesn't embarrass them, include their name. Credit where credit is due, unless they opt otherwise. I always like to have a choice.

Yeah, sounds interesting - and exciting - but at the same time people may not want to team up to produce. I play EVE and they have lost a lot of players not only owing to the type of game play but because it often requires corp membership to reside in the more dangerous lucrative areas which is advantages.  Of course it is still possible to advance on your own but it is difficult which partly explains why EVE has been stuck at 2008 player levels for years. In fact, CCP is pulling out all the stops to get and keep more players by changing and adding new game mechanics (ie citadels and easier skill training). Another solution of theirs to offset stagnant player count is to produce 3 separate games: Eve, Valkyrie and a first person shooter. This will fail in the end given technology, the same technology you are using, will be able to produce all 3 in a single seamless universe. 

Ooops, sorry, got side tracked a little. As I was saying, not everyone wants to be forced to team up with others to play. That said, I have no problem with a coder building my designs - if they can withstand the embarrassment.  Hopefully though  coding will be strictly design focused and will not include performance because that would definitely give a small segment of the gaming community an advantage. Anyway, as you said 'we are not sure how deep the GUI will be in what it allows', so it may not be an issue. 

I do not agree with coders and builders Not cooperating, Im from Second Life they did that all the time they had expert coders and expert builders, they got togather alot to build some great ships and other items in SL. So i thing coders and builders will be joining forces to build some of the best ships in DU.

I do believe i read somewhere that Code will not be a one make and sell, as obviously given such huge freedom to build what you want, every ship, every building, every creation will be unique and require a different code to work how it is intended. This probably means that coders will have to take your individual design and code it for you, which is how i see many of them making their primary source of income within the game. The more skilled the coder, the more ambitious projects he/she can code, and the bigger the price he/she can charge, turning it into a rather fierce and competitive market further down the line.

Seems we dug up another old topic. So, let's get things straight. Coders and builders will have to work together in order to successfully build ships that function well. They may not have to for smaller ships, but for things that really matter, they will. It's a simple matter of fact that coding and building will be two things that go together. We need some scripts in order to run this construct. So, instead of of having to code after the build is done, it would be wiser to use coders to write scripts while the building is taking place.

I do believe i read somewhere that Code will not be a one make and sell, as obviously given such huge freedom to build what you want, every ship, every building, every creation will be unique and require a different code to work how it is intended. This probably means that coders will have to take your individual design and code it for you, which is how i see many of them making their primary source of income within the game. The more skilled the coder, the more ambitious projects he/she can code, and the bigger the price he/she can charge, turning it into a rather fierce and competitive market further down the line.

As well GrandMasterApex, you are correct. Coders will be competing to code bigger and better projects. The most skilled coders will code the most massive constructs and cost the most to hire. Coding is a valuable skill that not everyone picks up. As well, newbie coders will also have a source of income. Many smaller organizations will probably need someone to code ships for them, so they may be able to to charge for these projects, build up their reputation and then work their way up. It's a simple process that every level of coder will be able to take part of.

Question for DU staff and gamers.

Has anyone here been to Second life, becouse alot of things they want to do in DU have already been done in SL. SL gave us tools to build and land and then let us loose 13 yrs ago. we built a huge world all done by the players. you can also do scripting, build Anything, there a great economy, player driven. so if you want to know how long it will take to build a civilization from scratch check out SL. if anyone wants a tour of it contact me, i have been a resident of SL for 6 yrs. oh you can also Own land and set access rights to that land :)  also idea, Rent out land when the planet gets full :) Land baron. so not sure how far we can go with the lua scripting in DU, but if it is anything like SL, we will have some great ships, buildings, space stations. for Voxel tech check out what we did in Everquest Landmark that game uses Voxel tech, same as DU, go out dig up resources, use them to build anything. there are a few surprises in store for builders in DU, when you start working with Voxel tech, the developers Might not know about, we discovered it when we did the alpha for landmark..

thank you

Damian Firecaster

CWC Military Special ops.

Long time sl player here too. Did some house object scripting. Im a dev in rl and messing around with LUA. Have to admit this is a huge draw for me. There are so many parallels im thinking of here, some of which u mention like property scripts, security orbs, etc...