What about powered armor, exoskeletons, and clothing?

Cavadus

While reading the devblog regarding LUA scripting I noticed that kevlar was mentioned as a building material.  This got me thinking a bit since the inclusion of a textile is pretty specific.

Will we be able to craft clothing?  Body armor?  Exoskeletons?  Powered armor?  Maybe even mechs?

This is something which we really haven't seen in any of these voxel games yet would be immensely satisfying for those of wishing to get our Tony Stark or Brotherhood of Steel on.

Mechs I hope that they do, I read something about how you could construct anything, maybe if there is a way to manipulate sections of the voxels with mechanical components like hinges, pistons rotators ect. then maybe we could create these by hand :)

• 3 weeks later...

It wouldn't be enough to have mechanical elements, if you want an exosuit you'd also need something like this:

Not sure I really follow.  That's just sticking plates on a character.  I'm not talking about medieval suits here, I'm talking about fully powered exoskeletons and larger.  They're people shaped vehicles, not fantasy medieval armor.

Have you played Fallout 4?  When I say exoskeletons and powered armor that's what I'm talking about.  They're a completely separate entity from the player's avatar.

Not sure I really follow.  That's just sticking plates on a character.  I'm not talking about medieval suits here, I'm talking about fully powered exoskeletons and larger.  They're people shaped vehicles, not fantasy medieval armor.

Have you played Fallout 4?  When I say exoskeletons and powered armor that's what I'm talking about.  They're a completely separate entity from the player's avatar.

Generally there are two ways of doing this:

If what you want is something like a gandum style mech, then your basically building a large robot with a pilot seat, in which case.... Yes, LUA and mechanical parts would do fine. And don't get me wrong, that alone would be awesome (My first thread was asking if these are planned).

But since you mentioned fabrics, I am guessing you want a powered armor suit that your character can wear, which means you need a way to attach structs and elements to the character model and skeleton for the animations to work (That in turn could be useful for other things as well - custom weapons, custom jetpacks, and obviously - a helmet with revolving policecar lights).

I don't know about wearing suits of armour but i do know that Mechs are confirmed, I would link the thread with the confirmation but i can't seem to find it. It was confirmed by Nyz as he was asked about the possibilities of the game and if Mechs would be possible.

Basically he said that anything you can think of creating would be in some way possible if you can manage to get it to work with the ingame tools and lua, and he continue to list a bunch of things that were thought to be already possible and that included mechs.

For the other parts i'm unsure about.

However, Overgrowth, really, has that game not come out yet?. I bought that game like 5+ years ago and it didn't seem to make anything of itself even though it boasted all the nice things that people would want at the time, like climbing, dynamic character reactions and such. Shame it didn't turn into anything and was more of a glorified tech demo :(

nora,

• 4 weeks later...

I am guessing you want a powered armor suit that your character can wear, which means you need a way to attach structs and elements to the character model and skeleton for the animations to work (That in turn could be useful for other things as well - custom weapons, custom jetpacks, and obviously - a helmet with revolving policecar lights).

No, still not what I'm trying to explain. Search YouTube for videos on Fallout 4 powered armor in action. It most definitely NOT just tacking some meshes to an avatar's body parts. I'm talking more about rigid constructs which take a form that allows them to encapsulate the human body. You're thinking more of traditional MMO armor which is little more than clothing with stat bonuses.

Another example here would be the MAX armor from the two PlanetSide games.

A mech is nothing but a vessel (a craft, like a ship) that traverses on a bipedal or more basis. LUA scripts like they described them on the Devblog can support multi module functions, it's not different than setting a macro in WoW or any game supporting macros. You do one thing, then set timer or periodical triggers and through the magic of pain-stakingly putting piecs together and programming them (like normal robotics engineers do) you create a mecha. 

As for powered armors, I have no idea. Perhaps the gear players wear can follow SOME of the LUA script rules, although it's still up in the air in regards to that.

No, still not what I'm trying to explain. Search YouTube for videos on Fallout 4 powered armor in action. It most definitely NOT just tacking some meshes to an avatar's body parts. I'm talking more about rigid constructs which take a form that allows them to encapsulate the human body. You're thinking more of traditional MMO armor which is little more than clothing with stat bonuses.

Another example here would be the MAX armor from the two PlanetSide games.

They said that mechanical constructs, including battlemechs or mechaspider could be crafted into the game. So yes you'll be able to build a exoskeleton. But since blocks have a certain minimum dimension (25cm), it's probably going to be a little bigger than the one in fallout 4, or it may look ugly. 

A mech is nothing but a vessel (a craft, like a ship) that traverses on a bipedal or more basis. LUA scripts like they described them on the Devblog can support multi module functions, it's not different than setting a macro in WoW or any game supporting macros. You do one thing, then set timer or periodical triggers and through the magic of pain-stakingly putting piecs together and programming them (like normal robotics engineers do) you create a mecha. 

As for powered armors, I have no idea. Perhaps the gear players wear can follow SOME of the LUA script rules, although it's still up in the air in regards to that.

It's not just a macro, that would be a "function". It does even reacts to "events". But still LUA will not solve any problem in the game, no easily at least, it depends on the API we'll get, the elements we'll get, if there'll be attriction with the ground (or a bipedal wouldn't move even if scripted), and so on...

They said that mechanical constructs, including battlemechs or mechaspider could be crafted into the game. So yes you'll be able to build a exoskeleton. But since blocks have a certain minimum dimension (25cm), it's probably going to be a little bigger than the one in fallout 4, or it may look ugly. 

It's not just a macro, that would be a "function". It does even reacts to "events". But still LUA will not solve any problem in the game, no easily at least, it depends on the API we'll get, the elements we'll get, if there'll be attriction with the ground (or a bipedal wouldn't move even if scripted), and so on...

Didn't want to become technical good sir. I know of LUA scripts :P And setting periods of occurance is an achieveable goal, if you want your mech to enter a "juke maneuvers" stage, possibly have 5 of them, depending on the enemy mech. That, the setting of periodical occurances of movement, is a macro-command, simply putting it, a macro. Same movmeent scripts can be used in League of Legends, although it's considered a cheat there and for good reason. You become inhuman at keeping track of max range from an enemy champion and so on, keeping track of travel times for skillshots. But the direction Dual is heading ,such "cheats" will become tech, that anyone can achieve , or buy. 

Not all can be Thor, but with money, everyone can become Iron Man :P

So yey for combat mechs, and possibly, a Crimson Typhoon (the chinese Jaeger from Pacific Rim), and a macro that will set in motion the Thundercloud Formation. Hope you get the metaphor, cause it's too stupid to make sense for anyonewho hasn't seen the movie :P

• 3 weeks later...

While reading the devblog regarding LUA scripting I noticed that kevlar was mentioned as a building material.  This got me thinking a bit since the inclusion of a textile is pretty specific.

Will we be able to craft clothing?  Body armor?  Exoskeletons?  Powered armor?  Maybe even mechs?

This is something which we really haven't seen in any of these voxel games yet would be immensely satisfying for those of wishing to get our Tony Stark or Brotherhood of Steel on.

Or Spartan on :D