what platforms will DU run on?

Slaxx

I think Nyz explained something about this, but don't quote me on it, i think his response was something like.

Mac/Linux would be after crowd funding if certain stretch goals are met and consoles are just not even being thought about yet.

But don't all linux folks Virtual boot windows or something? since linux is very low on compatibility to most games anyway?

• 2 months later...

I think Nyz explained something about this, but don't quote me on it, i think his response was something like.

Mac/Linux would be after crowd funding if certain stretch goals are met and consoles are just not even being thought about yet.

But don't all linux folks Virtual boot windows or something? since linux is very low on compatibility to most games anyway?

I know this is an older thread, but I am answering your question. I run linux only on my computer. Windows has become a trojan. So I moved to linux and have been using it solid for several weeks now. No problems. So no, most linux users do not dual boot. And if there is a windows only game that will not run on linux ( or Wine ) because the devs are just lazy, then we linux users simply move on to other linux supported games. And since Microsoft announced no more windows.. this means everyone will be switching to linux over the next 5 years. So linux versions is definately needed and is the future, until some other better OS comes along. My Linux looks and feels like Windows. But I don't have the spyware / trojan known as windows to worry about. Microsoft uses windows to use / take all your person info about you and sells it. It's in their windows Terms of Service. Which is why a LOT of people are switching to Linux now.

On another note.. Microsoft now uses linux as their servers. They announced it in one of their video conferences. So now you can see why Linux is the next biggest OS for the future instead of Windows. Which thanks to MS, its dying.

I know this is an older thread, but I am answering your question. I run linux only on my computer. Windows has become a trojan. So I moved to linux and have been using it solid for several weeks now. No problems. So no, most linux users do not dual boot. And if there is a windows only game that will not run on linux ( or Wine ) because the devs are just lazy, then we linux users simply move on to other linux supported games. And since Microsoft announced no more windows.. this means everyone will be switching to linux over the next 5 years. So linux versions is definately needed and is the future, until some other better OS comes along. My Linux looks and feels like Windows. But I don't have the spyware / trojan known as windows to worry about. Microsoft uses windows to use / take all your person info about you and sells it. It's in their windows Terms of Service. Which is why a LOT of people are switching to Linux now.

On another note.. Microsoft now uses linux as their servers. They announced it in one of their video conferences. So now you can see why Linux is the next biggest OS for the future instead of Windows. Which thanks to MS, its dying.

That epic rant :D

You are right about Windows 10, but I am not sure to share your conclusion about casual users switching to linux "en mass" !

Taking time to make a 3D sowtware running on many platform cost money, and if only 0,01% of your userbase use linux, it is simply a waste of money to allocate 1% of your spending to it. This is not lazy, this is capitalism ;)

Well that is a bit of a over simplification of what Microsoft  said.  It isn't that Windows is going anywhere but Microsoft is going in the direction of Google chrome.  You won't see some big new software packages but instead you will just get changes in the form of updates. Windows 10 will just be Windows from now on and Microsoft will justt send you two major updates per year. This is the future direction that most OS companies are going in.   Microsoft owns the gaming world and they are not giving that up. It would be nice to see major games coming to linux but I doubt that will happen.   Plus not to mention microsoft's new project that will change the PC world forever will run windows and that is their hololens . Hololens is a game changer because you won't need a tablet  or PC to run it.   Hololens is pure VR and AR headset. So pretty soon if you want to play A PC game or get on the internet , all you will have to do  is put on the Hololens . The future is VR anyway.  I love linux myself but Microsoft has too many cool things coming in the future and I can't see other platforms doing enough to make a large amount of gamers leave Microsoft 

• 1 month later...

Well that is a bit of a over simplification of what Microsoft  said.  It isn't that Windows is going anywhere but Microsoft is going in the direction of Google chrome.  You won't see some big new software packages but instead you will just get changes in the form of updates. Windows 10 will just be Windows from now on and Microsoft will justt send you two major updates per year. This is the future direction that most OS companies are going in.   Microsoft owns the gaming world and they are not giving that up. It would be nice to see major games coming to linux but I doubt that will happen.   Plus not to mention microsoft's new project that will change the PC world forever will run windows and that is their hololens . Hololens is a game changer because you won't need a tablet  or PC to run it.   Hololens is pure VR and AR headset. So pretty soon if you want to play A PC game or get on the internet , all you will have to do  is put on the Hololens . The future is VR anyway.  I love linux myself but Microsoft has too many cool things coming in the future and I can't see other platforms doing enough to make a large amount of gamers leave Microsoft 

Microsoft is going toward a subscription model for Windows, instead of a one-time license fee. This is why every of their products require you to assign it to your Live account; so that, when you buy a new computer, you login in with that Live account and all your software gets installed automatically for you. It also allows then to disable any fraudulent account altogether to invalidate any illegal use of their products.

Also, I do not completely agree with you that VR is the future. It is certainly cool, but it is only but a fad that will be replaced by far better technologies later on, for example holograms and immersive environments like AR. Augmented Reality is not Virtual Reality.

A few years ago, many believe that PC gaming would die due to the ever growing capabilities of consoles. It ain't true anymore, and PC gaming gain so much that consoles as we know it will become obsolete in the future. PCs will become ever more modular and unified, and you can already see this happening with Steam machines... which, by the way, runs on Linux. So, I am not sure that Microsoft Windows will continue to be dominant that much... Even DX12 is threatened by OpenGL Next (Vulkan), which is cross-platform.

The bottom line is, there are many benefits for game studios to start supporting Linux for the games.... there is a big market that will not be moving to Windows when Windows 7/8 reach end of life (i.e. China).

Just saying :)

• 7 months later...

Microsoft is going toward a subscription model for Windows, instead of a one-time license fee. This is why every of their products require you to assign it to your Live account; so that, when you buy a new computer, you login in with that Live account and all your software gets installed automatically for you. It also allows then to disable any fraudulent account altogether to invalidate any illegal use of their products.

Also, I do not completely agree with you that VR is the future. It is certainly cool, but it is only but a fad that will be replaced by far better technologies later on, for example holograms and immersive environments like AR. Augmented Reality is not Virtual Reality.

A few years ago, many believe that PC gaming would die due to the ever growing capabilities of consoles. It ain't true anymore, and PC gaming gain so much that consoles as we know it will become obsolete in the future. PCs will become ever more modular and unified, and you can already see this happening with Steam machines... which, by the way, runs on Linux. So, I am not sure that Microsoft Windows will continue to be dominant that much... Even DX12 is threatened by OpenGL Next (Vulkan), which is cross-platform.

The bottom line is, there are many benefits for game studios to start supporting Linux for the games.... there is a big market that will not be moving to Windows when Windows 7/8 reach end of life (i.e. China).

Just saying :)

Sorry it took me so long to respond, but you nailed all the highlights. Spot on.

• 3 weeks later...

To answer your question indirectly... more like. is it possible to run DU on other platforms that Windows? The answer would be YES.

All comes down to Unigine that is capable of it already. But as many stated, they going for the most common and popular one at the moment and no matter how much you hate it, theories you've got etc it's a Windows. Some gamers even building game dedicated PC with windows even if their regular machine is MAC just for sake of running few more titles. 

Maybe Vulcan is catching up but is not there yet. It is not only a question of capabilities but enigines being able to utilise it. 

This kind of adoption takes years.

Linux if free and very capable OS but people are scared of tweaking their drivers on their own because some GPU or USB Port is not being supported.

Nobody will recommend you that platform for gamers just yet. Nor Linux was ever build for it or aspired to be all around OS.

I know is tempting, to mislead yourself that your way is the only good way and force everybody to believe it.

I believe our civilisation should grow up already and we should not use money. Get rid of politicians etc... Are we there yet? ;)

I doubt that people will be switching to Liunix on a large scale: While it is true that Microsoft said that they will not release any new windows versions, they said they will keep updating and refining windows 10. Also, many people do not use liunix because not much software is compatible because people don't use liunix because not much.... Also, China will probably pirate Windows 10.(No offence)

Perhaps its that beilefe that people who disagree with us will stop disagreeing with us soon.

People will stop voting for the opposing party...will stop using Android/IOS...will stop using PCs/counsels for gaming...will stop denying/believing in climate change...(no politcal discussion, AKA WWIII, intended)

I doubt that people will be switching to Liunix on a large scale: While it is true that Microsoft said that they will not release any new windows versions, they said they will keep updating and refining windows 10. Also, many people do not use liunix because not much software is compatible because people don't use liunix because not much.... Also, China will probably pirate Windows 10.(No offence)

Perhaps its that beilefe that people who disagree with us will stop disagreeing with us soon.

People will stop voting for the opposing party...will stop using Android/IOS...will stop using PCs/counsels for gaming...will stop denying/believing in climate change...(no politcal discussion, AKA WWIII, intended)

It's a sad reality, that Linux, while suprior in many way,s it's not user friendly. You need a significant know-how to to use said OS.

And this is the inherit problem imo, it's not a big market-share to validate a "Linux version".

But this is the best part, some programmers will find a way to port DU's client in Linux. They do so with so many games xD

I mean, Unigine 2 supports OpenGL, so it's not even a real issue.