background music for the website

Slaxx

just an idea, you can put background music to the website.

Please, no. That causes a lot of problems like extra loading time, lack of volume adjustment, and so on...

Plus, I guess that it's not really the most important thing to spare time on at the moment :).

If you really want to, put a Jukebox or a player, but please, don't start playing or download automatically.

Regards,

Shadow

Please, no. That causes a lot of problems like extra loading time, lack of volume adjustment, and so on...

Plus, I guess that it's not really the most important thing to spare time on at the moment :).

If you really want to, put a Jukebox or a player, but please, don't start playing or download automatically.

Regards,

Shadow

+1 for that...

Background music would Increase the ambient feel of the website but don't put any resources needed for DU into doing it... or make it so that the website suffered because of it...

But the actual ingame music for the game to be able to play on the website would be nice :)

using the actual soundtrack was my idea but then it would spoiler the game so i thought they should put a nice, quiet website-specific soundtrack in the background.

there is another game that utilizes this very nicely which is why i got this idea.

Im not a big fan of background music on by default.

If a prospective player visits the site from their work computer it could cause problems.

Definitely not the first experience NQ wants to give to someone.

using the actual soundtrack was my idea but then it would spoiler the game so i thought they should put a nice, quiet website-specific soundtrack in the background.

there is another game that utilizes this very nicely which is why i got this idea.

I'm going to have to throw up the 'Team Effort' badge on this statement... I would like to think I played a role in it somewhere... however small :)

Im not a big fan of background music on by default.

If a prospective player visits the site from their work computer it could cause problems.

Definitely not the first experience NQ wants to give to someone.

What would be your thoughts if the music wasn't automatic and optional?... If there was simply a 'play' button that you could click to listen to DU ingame music (or website specific music) while your browsing that requires you to click play everytime you come to the forums... 

Would that be better?.. wouldn't cause any problems for people who are at work or need to remain quite as it would be down to the user to choose to listen or not....

What would be your thoughts if the music wasn't automatic and optional?... If there was simply a 'play' button that you could click to listen to DU ingame music (or website specific music) while your browsing that requires you to click play everytime you come to the forums... 

Would that be better?.. wouldn't cause any problems for people who are at work or need to remain quite as it would be down to the user to choose to listen or not....

The problem with that is that it requires an extra effort for visitors to find the button and press it every time they visit. In this case you may as well simply advertise a typical download and whoever really wants the "immersion" would just play it from their standalone player.

There is also a problem of continuity. It is impossible to have a track play through multiple pages. The website would have to redesigned to one dynamic page, which would make it very heavy and long to load. It would force the browser to download all the blogs, screenshots, press announcements and so on in one go. This is a huge technical obstacle to just avoid some music from restarting or stopping on every click in the site.

So however enthusiastic you are about it, it simply would not fly. Sorry.

The problem with that is that it requires an extra effort for visitors to find the button and press it every time they visit. In this case you may as well simply advertise a typical download and whoever really wants the "immersion" would just play it from their standalone player.

There is also a problem of continuity. It is impossible to have a track play through multiple pages. The website would have to redesigned to one dynamic page, which would make it very heavy and long to load. It would force the browser to download all the blogs, screenshots, press announcements and so on in one go. This is a huge technical obstacle to just avoid some music from restarting or stopping on every click in the site.

So however enthusiastic you are about it, it simply would not fly. Sorry.

Why would it cause any more effort for any visitor?

If you don't want the music, don't click play. If you do want the music you are always more than welcome to click play and keep that one tab open as a music tab and ignore the play button on other pages. Just have a single page open with the music, removing the issue of continuity and leaving it down to user choice whether or not they want music.

You're thinking overly complicated about a simple "click for music" button. It wouldn't auto-start and wouldn't be in a intrusive position, it would simply just be a play, stop, forward/backward and volume control music system, nothing fancy.

You might only need it on the main forums page, other pages you could probably do without it as having the one tab open idea, you could just have the main tab open all the time..

But again, that's just if the user wants it.. if they don't want it then technically nothing changes for them to how the website works now.

If you suggest going as far as keeping one tab open just for the music you might as well download the track and play it locally. There is no need to burden the server with the extra streaming every day you browse the game's pages.

If you suggest going as far as keeping one tab open just for the music you might as well download the track and play it locally. There is no need to burden the server with the extra streaming every day you browse the game's pages.

What if i'm not on a personal computer and such and can't just download it?

It's only a suggestion at the end of the day, if they choose to do anything with it it's up to them, I don't think it would be that resource heavy just to link SoundCloud with the websites or something simple like that.

We are here arguing the small details that may or may not even happen, and i'm sure theres countless way to do it.. But it's up to the Devs at the end of the day.. I'm just hopeful :)

My take on this entire thread is that it was a rather superfluous suggestion on a very trivial topic that distracts from the primary purpose of these forums, which is one of providing feedback, ideas, and support in order to bring Dual Universe to a successful launch. I would in fact suggest that no more be said on this topic and invite all to explore some other fascinating topics on the forums.

seriously, STOP DOING THAT!

Yeah, I'm with slaxx here. If your going to meme the forums at least put a 'link' instead of just the image or hide it under spoilers or something...

Scrolling down past images just makes the forums look horrible.

If that's a concern, there are ways to "store" data on the browser cache in order to keep bandwidth to an acceptable level.

I think that the consensus here is "Why not ? But keep it simple and opt-in".

I guess that NQ could integrate a SoundCloud player quite easily with a play button (and, by the way, it means that music will be loaded from SoundCloud).

But it's clearly not a priority.

Maybe once NQ will start some kind of publicity for the game, it'll be a good idea.

Regards,

Shadow