VOIP in game.

SzaryWilk

I think in the DU should be available VOIP, voice communication system.

Possible to use in:

1) communications ship vs. ship, pilot with another pilot,

2) communication on board of ship / vehicle, between crew members,

3) communication between the ship and traffic control on stations or planets (we may ask for permission to land),

You can do cool inflection reminiscent radio.

Implementing voip is waste of time imho. Most people never use in game voip. They use ts, mumble or discord...

Your forgetting talking to strangers though, how would you negotiate a trade if you can't 'talk' to them, bartering would become more difficult.

Your forgetting talking to strangers though, how would you negotiate a trade if you can't 'talk' to them, bartering would become more difficult.

I always use text chat when trading. Not too much difficulty IMO

I agree having VOIP on just means i cant discuss with my team when making a trade which i think is a superior use of my voice. I think text is perfectly fine and actually reduces the chances of me misunderstanding/being scammed

Implementing voip is waste of time imho. Most people never use in game voip. They use ts, mumble or discord...

Clearly you've never played games like DayZ, Rust, ARK, Miscreated, ArmA 3, et cetera.  VOIP can be essential in resolving a situation quickly before shots are fired.

This is going to be a heavily PvP-based game.  VOIP is essential.  Will need local, common commo freqs for ship-to-ship hailing and ground contact, et cetera.

Clearly you've never played games like DayZ, Rust, ARK, Miscreated, ArmA 3, et cetera.  VOIP can be essential in resolving a situation quickly before shots are fired.

This is going to be a heavily PvP-based game.  VOIP is essential.  Will need local, common commo freqs for ship-to-ship hailing and ground contact, et cetera.

Yes it's true. I play in Arma II and III and in Elite Dangerous. With my friends and clan members we sit on TS server but when you meet a player you do not know VOIP is excellent. Often you do not have the time or ability to write in chat......then VOIP works great.

I know we have TS, mumble, but we use them especially among our friends, clan members.

I know we have chat, private chat, trade channels that we use to contact to other players, usually we do not know.

But VOIP in game in situations about I wrote above build interaction between players and climate of the game.

• 2 months later...

In planetside 2 most use the in game VOIP because it emulates a command structure and allows people to form fluid big groups fast. Generally the only ones using external application are engaging in spycraft with one player planted on the other faction. Some are very good spy's. 

Voip is very good for helping out new players fast and easily. Given that there are no NPC's for that function and typed chat is real slow and impossible in a crisis a voip tool would be very helpful. It also make GM operations fast and easy. I'm biased I have dyslexia and ant see the font in some chats so text chat boxes are barely useful. Integrated VOIP applications are also getting cheaper. 

In one PS 2 game I ended up teaching a guy from south east Asia English mid battle without dropping a shot. I had never heard of his native language. 

I think it is safe to say that, especially in sudden random encounters (if not in general),VOIP will be useful or rather the most useful tool compared to text. Text input is more clear and you can go back and read it. Vocal comms could be distorted or perceived as such (you did not catch something the first time).

But vocal comms are faster on average. You don't have use your hands to type while your attention can remain on a situation rather than the keyboard. In fighting it gets worse if you solely rely on text without any vocal comms.

Whatever your preference is, local VOIP will usually favor or encourage player interaction or even resolve certain situations - as some have stated. The benefits outweigh the possible come in my book.

This ambitious of a game deserves VOIP technology. It should be available in game for those that want it. For those that prefer to type to strangers, I'm sure that will be still be available. But to have VOIP opens up a whole new level of trade communication, community, and combat coordination.

The issue with VOIP is that it will take time away from the development of the game, plus the implementation of it will be extremely difficult to do if it spans over an entire universe - it would actually cause much more problems with how they have the game setup to save memory and space.

The issue with VOIP is that it will take time away from the development of the game, plus the implementation of it will be extremely difficult to do if it spans over an entire universe - it would actually cause much more problems with how they have the game setup to save memory and space.

Its not very difficult actually.

Its like the sound of your steps expect you have to send the sound trought the server