[REQUEST] Please Enable RSS Feeds

Cavadus

I'd like to request that RSS feeds for the forum section be activated.  This forum uses IPS Community Suite and enabled an RSS feed for the news/announcements/bulletin forum is very easy.

To do so, simply have an admin log into the AdminCP and then hover over "Forums," then hover over "RSS Management," and then click on "RSS Export."

Setting up the RSS export feed is very easy.

The reason I'm requesting this is that I import RSS feeds into my guild's gaming news forum which allows to track games we're interested in and discuss their associated news.

Thanks!

I don't know what RSS is but this sounds like something I should know and be telling my website about.

Don't have a big website, just something me and a few friends maintain, but RSS might be something we should look into.

Yeah, so RSS is a particular type of XML document format and a website can generate this document and automatically keep it up to date when new stuff is posted.

So then you can have your own server check the document every X minutes and it can parse this document into a readable format. In my guild's instance,our forum software reposts articles from game websites we follow on a game news forum. I did notice that Dual Universe's dev blog publishes an RSS feed.

Yeah, so RSS is a particular type of XML document format and a website can generate this document and automatically keep it up to date when new stuff is posted.

So then you can have your own server check the document every X minutes and it can parse this document into a readable format. In my guild's instance,our forum software reposts articles from game websites we follow on a game news forum. I did notice that Dual Universe's dev blog publishes an RSS feed.

Well i understood the majority of that.. +1 for laymen terms. Sounds simple enough, i'll have to give my website give a shout and see what he can do if DU does publish them as RSS.. 

Here's the actual link to the DevBlog's raw RSS feed: https://devblog.dualthegame.com/feed/

Your website admin will need that for importation.

How long would this take me to learn about if I wanted to do it myself?.. I only ask because I have all the access to the website I want and if he doesn't 'feel' like it I could stab at it myself :)

How long would this take me to learn about if I wanted to do it myself?.. I only ask because I have all the access to the website I want and if he doesn't 'feel' like it I could stab at it myself :)

Well, it depends what you want to do.  What I have setup on the 47th's website is a gaming news forum which can be found here.  Our guild website utilizes IPS Community Suite and inside of the adminCP is a very easy method of importing an RSS feed and configuring a few options like what user account should be associated with posting articles from said feed, where these articles should be posted, any kind of prefixes in the title, et cetera.

But every single thread you see posted in that forum is automatically posted by our forum importing various RSS feeds which I have setup.

So if I were you I'd just google whatever platform your forum software is and then include "rss import."  Importing RSS feeds usually isn't very difficult.