What can Dual Universe do?

Tierless

Hi Zander,

Nyzaltar stated a few times that physics properties like gravity is very unlikely due to technical restrictions. Not sure if it includes suspension, but I guess momentum won't be implemented either.

You can check Space Engineers if you want a game which implement most of that. But it's clearly not massively multiplayer.

Regards,

Shadow

I kind of hope momentum is going into the game, otherwise having a big ship hit a smaller ship will be a interesting collision.

Hi Zander,

Nyzaltar stated a few times that physics properties like gravity is very unlikely due to technical restrictions. Not sure if it includes suspension, but I guess momentum won't be implemented either.

You can check Space Engineers if you want a game which implement most of that. But it's clearly not massively multiplayer.

Regards,

Shadow

I was under the impression Nyzaltar said that force and mass WOULD be implemented in the game.  I couldn't tell you which threads, but it had to do with engines.

This would imply inertia.

I was under the impression Nyzaltar said that force and mass WOULD be implemented in the game.  I couldn't tell you which threads, but it had to do with engines.

Ahh, you're probably thinking about the post that mentioned the position of the thrusters on the constructs will have a bearing on what direction your ship moves.

So if you have only thrusters on the front of your ship it will only pitch up ect.. 

Is that the one you mean ?

Here are a couple of quotes from the LUA scripting devblog:

"Engines are real (they physically push your ship where they are, with the power they have), gravity is real,"

"The exact details of how this is done in terms of control and dynamics are beyond the range of this post, but it involves simple Newtonian physics about torques and forces."

That looks VERY promising.  Would you agree they imply inertia?

Here are a couple of quotes from the LUA scripting devblog:

"Engines are real (they physically push your ship where they are, with the power they have), gravity is real,"

"The exact details of how this is done in terms of control and dynamics are beyond the range of this post, but it involves simple Newtonian physics about torques and forces."

That looks VERY promising.  Would you agree they imply inertia?

That's indeed pretty clear. My bad.

Regards,

Shadow

At Battlescape they have the whole 9 yards: gravity, inertia, even wind. And it is great but some are insisting that ships should actually be aerodynamic as opposed to look aerodynamic. But this would require building an in-game wind tunnel which, in my opinion, is complete overkill. Maybe 5~10 years down the road when the technology has been firmly rooted but for now just having basic Newtonian physics is more than enough. Last thing a Developer needs is falling into the old Star Citizen we can do anything feature creep. It seems what you have here already is a solid foundation for development and a better concept than anything out there. 

At Battlescape they have the whole 9 yards: gravity, inertia, even wind. And it is great but some are insisting that ships should actually be aerodynamic as opposed to look aerodynamic. But this would require building an in-game wind tunnel which, in my opinion, is complete overkill. Maybe 5~10 years down the road when the technology has been firmly rooted but for now just having basic Newtonian physics is more than enough. Last thing a Developer needs is falling into the old Star Citizen we can do anything feature creep. It seems what you have here already is a solid foundation for development and a better concept than anything out there. 

IMHO if it was quick and easy, go all in, go super engineer physics and stuff, but realize most players will never get that anyway so do it if its cheap and easy. 

I haven't seen anything to do with wheels and the small information I've seen around the forum says there might not be any (No 100% on that so do quote it)...

However, I have read a DevBlog that stats engines and all 'elements' will work based on their own position and stats, so if you have 3 thrusts on the front end of a ship it will only lift the front end and the back will do nothing as there is no thrusters there. or if your in space you will spiinnn.. (right round baby right round). This will be the same for all the 'elements' that you put on.

If I can find it in my travels i'll link the post to you :)

I wonder if they have self balancing systems or if you have to do that yourself . What I mean is even with thrusters on all 4 corners, if you thurst up full power, but have most of the mass on the front end it will still flip. Your rear thrusters have to throttle back. 

Usually inertial gyros could help compensate, but I am not sure if they will be implemented. Also in the real world they have limits on how much inertia they can impart without shedding it off at some point. 

I wonder if they will allow for Dyson Spheres. Those might be the high end of a thing to chase, destroy or obtain. Players need things to chase.

I dont know about a Dyson sphere. Most engineers will agree that it is a quasi stable structure and gravity on the surface would be non uniform. It is also a massive surface area that would likely be unused. 

However a ringworld is more practical and stable. It would still provide massive amounts of surface area and a few of us have brought the topic up in other threads as well. I wouldnt mind looking at building one as a long term goal. 

They discussed it in relation to thrusters and newtonion physics. When you fire your thrusters it imparts a certain force on the given mass of your ship, thus giving you a given acceleration. While it is the basis of inertia, a lot of space games have an inherent drag that slows objects down. A few do this with firing your thrusters automatically but not all. 

And I would expect inertia to be there when turning and stopping. However when you are talking about inertia in relation to collisions it becomes a bit more involved. If you assume both objects remain the same when colliding then you can do a simple elastic collision where they impart their inertia on each other. A small ship would typically gain a massive inertia increase in the opposite direction. However when you deal with collisions that damage and destroy things  (these are voxels afterall) the calculations drastically increase. You have to look at how much energy was absorbed by each block that comes in contact between the two ship as well as calculate when they would be destroyed and removed. Space engineers does this, and I would love to see a similar system in DU, but they may go for something similar to reduce the load.