What can Dual Universe do?

Tierless

Inde sandbox's are a dime a dozen these days. The tech behind Dual sounds like it can set it apart, but what are some features it could have that do as well? I know players will make a alot of the game, but what mechanics could be created to help nudge them to not just create things, but creat things of quality that are worth having great stories related to them?

FYI I've bee saying for years the greatest trick EVE ever pulled off was the shared universe which makes for a shares user experience with a real to player base history that is unique to it. Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed ;)

I think someone phrased it better that I could somewhere else... maybe astrophotography I think..

But their reply to a similar question was something along the lines of

" If you can think it up, and work it into the core game mechanics you can build anything you want or desire"..

Maybe that's just my thoughts and wishful thinking though, on my phone so hard to navigate the forums accurately as I would like... :)

EDIT: haha.. phone autocorrect 'astrophil' to 'astrophotography'...

I was reading through some DevBlogs while the Forums were down and i came across this one that you might be interested in. Explains about the Lua and scripting and how connecting engines and control panels and such will work in the game and how you will be able to do it

DevBlog Link (Lua): https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/09/18/lua-script-and-distributed-processing-units/

DevBlog Link (Building): https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2016/02/20/builder-gameplay-voxel-tools-elements/

Good Read i would recommend 

I was reading through some DevBlogs while the Forums were down and i came across this one that you might be interested in. Explains about the Lua and scripting and how connecting engines and control panels and such will work in the game and how you will be able to do it

DevBlog Link (Lua): https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/09/18/lua-script-and-distributed-processing-units/

DevBlog Link (Building): https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2016/02/20/builder-gameplay-voxel-tools-elements/

Good Read i would recommend 

Nice find, thanks!

I think someone phrased it better that I could somewhere else... maybe astrophotography I think..

But their reply to a similar question was something along the lines of

" If you can think it up, and work it into the core game mechanics you can build anything you want or desire"..

Maybe that's just my thoughts and wishful thinking though, on my phone so hard to navigate the forums accurately as I would like... :)

EDIT: haha.. phone autocorrect 'astrophil' to 'astrophotography'...

I believe the exact quote was:

If you can imagine it, you can build it. Think Lego/Landmark/Minecraft on steroids.

I believe the exact quote was:

If you can imagine it, you can build it. Think Lego/Landmark/Minecraft on steroids.

I get that but I think it would need more since a few other games are offering similar. Like an open sandbox to make our own stories is awesome, but they will need something to nudge that along.

I get that but I think it would need more since a few other games are offering similar. Like an open sandbox to make our own stories is awesome, but they will need something to nudge that along.

How about moveable boxes constructions?

All the games so far (that i know of, and can think of) have static voxel constructions, in DU you can build them to move, build them to fly... and build them as big as you like :)

As you said, EVE is a shared universe, with a shared experience and history. In such a universe, the things you do/create can be a meaningful part of that story. Mechanics that allow for a great emergent story are those that make (from the F.A.Q.)

"(...) a virtual world of endless possibilities where [gamers] are free to do anything they like, build anything they imagine, become anyone they want"

and one that is competitive and not too easy, so the mechanics should be adjusted for that.

Pretty sure the single shard continuous universe is unique to DU.  Then throw in incredible amounts of creative and destructive freedom.

Nah, Eve is single shard too, but has 'limits' to player amounts on system, so even though it was single shard it still had a form of restriction on players being in the same location.

DU you can basically have as many players in one place as you want.. 

Allowing players to make quests/missions is a good start but a way to let others know which ones are the good ones is needed.

There is going to be no preset quests. This game will employ "emergent gameplay" which means the players themselves will create the story. For example to build something you need materials. To get materials you need to know where they are and mine them. This already becomes a simple quest line.

Really looking forward to see how robust, not only the object creation system is but how the actual physics will work with those objects. Will a car have suspension, turn and momentum physics? Will it be able to be mounted with weapons and how are those weapon look, size and damage assets be chosen? Will ship speeds be governed by weight and size or will it only matter how many engines are attached to the hull?

How the assets are managed, governed and compatible with the physics of the game are what I'm looking forward to.

Really looking forward to see how robust, not only the object creation system is but how the actual physics will work with those objects. Will a car have suspension, turn and momentum physics? Will it be able to be mounted with weapons and how are those weapon look, size and damage assets be chosen? Will ship speeds be governed by weight and size or will it only matter how many engines are attached to the hull?

How the assets are managed, governed and compatible with the physics of the game are what I'm looking forward to.

I haven't seen anything to do with wheels and the small information I've seen around the forum says there might not be any (No 100% on that so do quote it)...

However, I have read a DevBlog that stats engines and all 'elements' will work based on their own position and stats, so if you have 3 thrusts on the front end of a ship it will only lift the front end and the back will do nothing as there is no thrusters there. or if your in space you will spiinnn.. (right round baby right round). This will be the same for all the 'elements' that you put on.

If I can find it in my travels i'll link the post to you :)

dyson spheres would be unproductive because as soon as someone shoots the sphere, there will be a hole in the shell and mainting such a huge construct proves to be impossible.

but i had that idea too.

I think my moreover point is, EVE is special but I'm not sure being a sandbox, or in this case, being the biggest sandbox is enough in 2016. Does it need PVE and quest hubs? No. But I think it needs Gods on the hill, as in it needs developers to stir the pot from time to time. It might also need some in game systems to help create that narrative and give it meaning via a history. Maybe even some unique character mechanics to stand out on that front as well.

Hi Zander,

Nyzaltar stated a few times that physics properties like gravity is very unlikely due to technical restrictions. Not sure if it includes suspension, but I guess momentum won't be implemented either.

You can check Space Engineers if you want a game which implement most of that. But it's clearly not massively multiplayer.

Regards,

Shadow