Clubs, Bars, Cantinas, Dives

PetdCat

Per a request, I am moving this idea over to the "Idea Box", which makes a great deal of sense and probably why I didn't think of it!

I believe it would be an excellent idea to have a prop, or a setting, for someone that "owns" an area to be able to connect to an outside URL for music streams.  It could also work for video, but in a voxel world I am thinking that would create a lagfest, but I do not know for certain.  An audio or video stream is going to be limited by the streams quality--64 kbps or 128 kbps--anyway, but I have not worked with the video side very much.

What this would allow is for Clubs, Bars, Cantinas, Dives, Social Areas, to pipe in whatever music they wish.  For those who know DJs with their own streams--those DJs can have live shows during the week.  It also opens up things like theme parties, and the like.  For those unfamiliar with the possibilities, you can go to www.radiofreegaia.com.  That is a radio station for people in The Secret World with multiple DJs and themes.  The only thing TSW doesn't have is the in game ability since there is no "building" there and only common areas--so the streams are accessed outside the game itself.   It is just not the same experience as "in game" music.  There is nothing quite like walking into a place in a virtual world and having it have its own flavor of sound.  Music is a common denominator for many and can be a focal point for many people's interaction in a game.

It would also be neat if the bars had different reputations that showed up as the game evolves, such as the bar that is hidden in the asteroid field in an unexplored sector could have a lot of shady deals going on in it where you could get restricted items, whereas the bar in the main city would be very upstanding and be very formal.

It would also be neat if the bars had different reputations that showed up as the game evolves, such as the bar that is hidden in the asteroid field in an unexplored sector could have a lot of shady deals going on in it where you could get restricted items, whereas the bar in the main city would be very upstanding and be very formal.

hehe.....pretty close :)   The idea for the asteroid club would be similar to the "meteor miners" clubs in E. E. Doc Smith's "Lensman" series  :)

I like this idea, but how does this work with intellectual property? Is (insert favorite artist) going to be ok with us streaming their music in a setting they are unfamiliar with? If there is a potential for DU to get into trouble with allowing the use of others IP, I would say no to this feature. I know radio stations broadcast music, but that is usually allowed by the record company.

I like this idea, but how does this work with intellectual property? Is (insert favorite artist) going to be ok with us streaming their music in a setting they are unfamiliar with? If there is a potential for DU to get into trouble with allowing the use of others IP, I would say no to this feature. I know radio stations broadcast music, but that is usually allowed by the record company.

Basically, you are entitled to stream music that you own for your own personal use.  if you are streaming music for profit, then it is the streamer's responsibility to track the licensing and pay the royalty.   The way it works in Second Life, the Utherverse worlds, et. al.  is the worlds allow users to bring whatever URL they wish into their "owned" property.  This can be internet radio stations, youtube channels, whatever.  All of the licensing royalties are the responsibility of the streamer (if applicable-see below).  Second Life would be like the maker of the radio that you listen to, they are not streaming the music, or really have anything to due with it.  They are merely providing the equipment to listen.

Now, DJs that have their own stream (as myself) can have URL access to their stream.  Normally this is considered "their stream for their personal use" and does not require royalty payments.  However, if I were to take a regular gig where I was paid and using the stream to facilitate my service--then I would be responsible for paying royalties to the artists whos IP I am using.  There is actually software out there to track that.  That however is not the case with most online DJs.  They are doing this for themselves or their friends and not receiving any payments or selling advertising and such.  In that situation there are no royalties involved as long as they are not creating revenue.  

This is all pretty much settled law.  Second Life has DJs that put on shows during the week--same with Utherverse.  The Secret World actually has its own radio station with DJs.  It has been going on for over a decade now.

In the end, the virtual world is just the speaker system for the stream.  It would be like saying that just because you log into the Metallica stream on YouTube, Lars is going to expect a check from you for listening to their music.   YouTube (the streamer) could decide to no longer stream Metallica songs, but they are the originator and not the end user or the maker of the computer.

• 1 year later...

I read this suggestion and can't help but think of Second Life and the thousands of lame dance clubs with zero to three people in there because everyone wanted their own club and the mass number made them all nearly useless and boring.

Don't want to be a downer, but I really hope this doesn't actually become possible. I can only see it taking away from the purpose of the actual game.

I like this idea. I know that SethBling and CaptainSparkles did this thing with verizon in Minecraft to be able to browse the internet, and make "calls". It was obviously blocky, but something with similar coding should work. I feel like I've seen something similar in another game that wasn't listed. I may try to figure that out and come back here if I can remember.

EDIT1: I should also mention that I feel this might be possible with in game coding. If anyone with prior coding knowledge could input on the possiblity, with out it being coded into the core game.

I can see the game being blocked by GEMA (the German Royalty Collecting Company), they have already struck youtube and we are not able to watch certain music videos or watch certain videos with certain music in it. (Of course there's a way to circumvent that, but that's not the topic)

I can see the game being blocked by GEMA (the German Royalty Collecting Company), they have already struck youtube and we are not able to watch certain music videos or watch certain videos with certain music in it. (Of course there's a way to circumvent that, but that's not the topic)

They cant, they only recently started blocking livestreams and, if the novaquark teams makes it correct, they cant sue or even touch the game/team for something the users do

There's legal issues.

Music companies and video services are cracking down hard on copy right... and they are overstepping their bounds and becoming thieves themselves in places like Youtube...

It would be wonderful if a place in game could be treated the same way a bar or even department store is treated in real life... but the law hasn't caught up to technology.

I mean stores play the radio to give ambient music... people play music of others when they come over to your house... take a ride in your car... no one goes after them... but if the game were to allow the same activities it would be sued ... a lot...

The best I can hope for would be something like one of the GTA games did.  Let you put your own music files in a particular file and them be able to access that as your own personal radio station in game.  Which only you can hear.  That's the part that prevents them from getting sued.

The legal issues are too varied and muddy.  If the Dual Universe team were to attempt this... they'd be spending most of their money on lawyers and legal proceedings rather than actually making the game.

No if there are to be social spots for people to gather... there will have to be other mechanics to accomplish it.  Sitting in one location isn't the most exiting game play... even though thematically it fits... there have to be tangible benefits to gathering in a particular spot and interesting things to do there or people won't do it.

A market kiosk selling consumables which provide some sort of benefit.

A zone where you can put a variety of looking for group flags above your head... limited to areas such as it so people wanting to find others to group up with go there to find other such people.

Mini games... possibly created by players...

Gambling... (another legal headache but less so)

To combine some things... if race courses could be set up... with real players participating in the races... and the views of this race are streamed to a bar... where people could bet on the winners...

Another idea... if people could make in game broadcasts... tutorials... news... sports... and these things could be available for bar patrons to view...

I am NOT sure... how this would be an good idea. Well I would LOVE like Cantinas, bars or "taverns" where people can hang out, chat, plan, make trade agreements, ECT... but I wouldn't enjoy that if someone suddently turned on Justin bieber on full volume. That would 1: break the immersion and 2: be brain damaging as fuck :P