Alternate modes of transportation

Lladz

Do we know if we will be limited to spaceships specifically or if we can sort of build anything we want a-la garry's mod?

I would love to make some sort of railway transport on my planet, basically anything that can be done with a motor that's fun i will probably attempt. Curious if we will have physics restrictions for making one, could easily be a premade rail to rail-car wheel interaction.

I'm also interested about the seamlessness of atmosphere and space... can i make a space elevator??

If you can figure it out, you can make anything. Giant robots can be a possibility, hovercraft, planes. I don't know about cars, as I've never seen any wheels, but hovercraft parts could be substituted.

@Lladz 

There's nothing preventing you from constructing an express train on Coruscant if that is your heart's desire. Go-karts, rocket-scooters, segways...that would be quite interesting to see. As for the physics, I'm no expert, but I'm sure someone could figure out an easy rail to car interaction with LUA.

Planet-space was mentioned (somewhere) to be seamless, so space elevators are theoretically possible, but IMO, awfully easy to blow up or crash into, not to mention a bit....aesthetically unappealing?

@Lladz 

There's nothing preventing you from constructing an express train on Coruscant if that is your heart's desire. Go-karts, rocket-scooters, segways...that would be quite interesting to see. As for the physics, I'm no expert, but I'm sure someone could figure out an easy rail to car interaction with LUA.

Planet-space was mentioned (somewhere) to be seamless, so space elevators are theoretically possible, but IMO, awfully easy to blow up or crash into, not to mention a bit....aesthetically unappealing?

Oh i'm sure it would be a total eyesore and hard to defend, but maybe on a tiny moon if those ever happen? I would really need to see how the game develops as far as difficulty in transporting from ground to space. If huuuuge freighters that take forever to take off and land are developed it might be advantageous to move large quantities of material to space via some sort of automated elevator instead of many small shuttles. It will really depend on scale.

I don't know any lua other than the very simplest of lines that i did back when garrys mod was 'Gmod'...

But instead of a space elevator constructed of material, could you not have a kind of material-less elevator?.. one that is basically just a ship that goes up and down following a lua coded path to and from the planet surface?..

This would remove the eyesore and the 'crash into' ability from a standard elevator... You could maybe even have a invisible docking port, where if you orbit a planet at a certain point you will 'connect' with this invisible elevator...

Kind of like the Stargate 'beam me down scotty' rings.... That would be kind of awesome... 

Yeah i dont know to what extent i would be able to do that. A solid tower seems a bit more reliable assuming i can defend it and dont care about the eyesore