Thoughts on Stargates and FTL

That might be an interesting way to open up new starting planets, provided they are sufficiently far away from any previously explored / colonised areas.

Incidentally, I just found a quote from Nyzaltar from last summer.

Technology will evolve as the game evolves  :)

I can't say much about the Lore for now as there is a short story on it in the pipeline coming soon (before end of summer we hope!)

Let's just say that there will be a - temporary - technological regression at the beginning (there will be an explanation for that).

So no FTL drive available right from the start. But on the long term, yes, there will be but with heavy limitation, involving "stargates" (something that players will be able to build). However, to be able able to "warp" without stargates, if allowed, will be very very tricky, and limited in some other ways.

Best regards,

Nyzaltar

I have to say...

"NQ has their ducks in a row..."

Everything Ive seen from them is very detailed and logical. It definitely boosts my confidence in the project. I'm really excited to see what they can pull off.

I have to say...

"NQ has their ducks in a row..."

Everything Ive seen from them is very detailed and logical. It definitely boosts my confidence in the project. I'm really excited to see what they can pull off.

Although i hope they are not 'too in a row' then what hope does the community have to shape the game and help make it better?

I'm hoping they will be open to evolving the system as players preferences put pressure on certain modules to develop.

As Klatu pointed out the Nyza quote.

a whole range of things that would be good that people want. Maybe they will create multiple modules with different styles of warp/FTL jumps and just let the gamers and the market sort out what they like to use for different purposes and have varrying drawbacks for using different types of drives.

I like the stargates for a player made interstate/ fast travel systm between developed places.

Warp drives are good, Im sure theyll balance out how fast they are though.

Also Ill be interested in how we may link coordinates or conduct fleet warps.

for FTL Ive been waiting for a time to ask if they've considered permanent and semi permanent Warp Buoy's to provide coordinates for those with FTL drives

A permanent one for say, your outpost/ station

deploy able beacon / buoys for helping to move your battle fleet around

Or if they intend to be extremely clever and provide the basic functionality but leave it all in a unready state. make us assemble the pieces of a puzzle to get over each stage.

Make us literally research things through script development, tinkering, exploring, trial and error with fuel types, ect ect to get whatever it is that will work.

Or if they intend to be extremely clever and provide the basic functionality but leave it all in a unready state. make us assemble the pieces of a puzzle to get over each stage.

Make us literally research things through script development, tinkering, exploring, trial and error with fuel types, ect ect to get whatever it is that will work.

Now that would be very clever of them indeed.

I persoanlly prefer a FTL/Warp drive scenario with fictional speeds that are unrealistic in real life, but I would also like the option of warping for 3 hours to some distant galaxy that the rest of you will never vist because you do not want to sit at the PC for 3 hours of warp.

I love the concept of no mans sky as far as the size of the universe. What I dislike is the liklihood of you never running into someone else. I think Dual should meet this idea in the middle. Allow for fast "local" systems travel, but with also the ability to reach a distant galaxy.

I say this because I am not sure how the pvp balance will eventually work out. In space engineers its difficult to build a medium or large sized ship unless you are playing with a small group of friends. I do not want my work constantly attacked by players (I know there will be safe zones, but still).

I have played mostly PVP games in my online gaming life, so it's not a matter of pvp, but more a matter of wanting to create some really cool and fun stuff for the game but have it taken away by a griefer. There has to be a balance.....soooo

That being said. I would prefer to build far far away from everyone on some distant planet, even then I will make an underground base and even then it will have locks on the doors and plenty of defense systems. This is also a great way for empires to start forming and riches saved. Attacking a small ship will be fun, but sieging a city with an army will be even more fun....but there has to be some way to regain your stuff. I am just not sure how permanently lost items/resources will be.

I would prefer slower combat, combat where it takes a raid a good amount of time to break through a larger ship (unless focus fired by a giant army). Think of it as a boss fight vs getting a 1 shot head kill in an FPS.

Basically, there needs to be away to appeal to casuals or pacifists and a way to appeal to hard core at the same time. My solution is to get the hell away from everyone.

I persoanlly prefer a FTL/Warp drive scenario with fictional speeds, but I would also like hte option of warping for 3 hours to some distant galaxy that the rest of you will never vist because you dont' want to sit at the PC for 3 hours of warp.

I love the concept of no mans sky as far as the size of hte universe. What I dislike is hte liklihood of you ever running into someone else. I think dual should meet this idea in the middle. Allow for fast "local" systems travel, but with also the ability to reach a distant galaxy.

I say this because I am not sure how the pvp balance will eventually work out. In space engineers its difficult to build a medium or large sized ship unless you are playing with a small group of friends. I do not want my work constantly attacked by players (I know there will be safe zones, but still).

I have played mostly PVP games in my online gaming life, so it's not a matter of pvp, but more a matter of wanting to create some really cool and fun stuff for the game but have it taken away by a griefer. There has to be a balance.....soooo

That being said. I would prefer to build far far away from everyone on some distant planet, even then I will make an underground base and even then it will have locks on the doors and plenty of defense systems. This is also a great way for empires to start forming and riches saved. Attacking a small ship will be fun, but sieging a city with an army will be even more fun....but there has to be some way to regain your stuff. I am just not sure how permanently lost items/resources will be.

I would prefer slower combat, combat where it takes a raid a good amount of time to break through a larger ship (unless focus fired by a giant army). Think of it as a boss fight vs getting a 1 shot head kill in an FPS.

Basically, there needs to be away to appeal to casuals or pacifists and a way to appeal to hard core at the same time. My solution is to get the hell away from everyone.

I like it how you went from one topic to a completely different topic all in the same post.

Your ideas on the openness of FTL and warp I agree with. I too would like to be able to just fly in a direction and lose track of everything and everyone if I plan to build or live in peace.

Boss fight idea appeals to me, but would that not restrict solo people from attacking larger ships completely ?..

I persoanlly prefer a FTL/Warp drive scenario with fictional speeds, but I would also like hte option of warping for 3 hours to some distant galaxy that the rest of you will never vist because you dont' want to sit at the PC for 3 hours of warp.

I love the concept of no mans sky as far as the size of hte universe. What I dislike is hte liklihood of you ever running into someone else. I think dual should meet this idea in the middle. Allow for fast "local" systems travel, but with also the ability to reach a distant galaxy.

I would prefer slower combat, combat where it takes a raid a good amount of time to break through a larger ship (unless focus fired by a giant army). Think of it as a boss fight vs getting a 1 shot head kill in an FPS.

Oh you have a very similar vision to me, my friend especially in terms of getting lost. And this should scale with available tech too. Like at the start of the game, build a quick and dirty land vehicle and travel for hours to a remote jungle on the other side of the planet. Build a little base in a perfectly secluded hidden spot, complete with well camouflaged colours.

I like it how you went from one topic to a completely different topic all in the same post.

Your ideas on the openness of FTL and warp I agree with. I too would like to be able to just fly in a direction and lose track of everything and everyone if I plan to build or live in peace.

Boss fight idea appeals to me, but would that not restrict solo people from attacking larger ships completely ?..

It's still the same topic, but with a greater explanation for the understanding of my reasoning which means I have to go in depth. To just say I want XYZ without giving the reason for XYZ does not help understand the foundation of the topic in the discussion.

The entire game will become a web of different system that interact together (like any game), its impossible to discuss one aspect without some mention of systems that are affected. All too often I see people suggesting an idea without fully understanding how that idea would affect the game overall (not necessarily on these forums, but in general).

Oh you have a very similar vision to me, my friend especially in terms of getting lost. And this should scale with available tech too. Like at the start of the game, build a quick and dirty land vehicle and travel for hours to a remote jungle on the other side of the planet. Build a little base in a perfectly secluded hidden spot, complete with well camouflaged colours.

Scale with Tech....YES!

It makes no sense to me that a fighter could sustain a 3 hour warp, but a serenity/millennium falcon type ship should. If really great distances will exist, then I think larger capital ships should only be able to go that far.

One thing I have noticed in games is that whenever the travel is sped up and it takes less time to get anywhere, the immersion drops, the fun drops..it becomes all to easy.

One thing I have noticed in games is that whenever the travel is sped up and it takes less time to get anywhere, the immersion drops, the fun drops..it becomes all to easy.

You obviously havent spent hours on end in EVE warping gate to gate only to have the enemies run or the fight end in minutes. 

Hi everyone!

We plan stealth technology in Dual Universe (even if it's not planned soon).

Afk cloaking is indeed a problem in EVE.

Psychological warfare is interesting, as long as it involves activity from the player wanting to do it.

From what we have analyzed, afk cloaking has been possible because of a few things:

- the fact that all players in the solar system are displayed on the local chat. If you see someone you don't know, it migh be a spy, or someone planning an ambush.

- the fact that a player can leave from a safe area (space stations) from a unique point (easy to ambush). 

- the fact that a player wanting to leave the solar system generally needs to use a stargate (also an easy place to ambush).

As Dual Universe won't work "solar system by solar system" and there won't be only one point of entry/exit for a safe area, this kind of abuse should have a lot less impact in Dual Universe. And if it still does... well, we keep your suggestions in our papers as possible ways to handle it ;)

Thanks for the feedback!

Best regards, 

Nyzaltar.

As we now know from another Topic, we wont have a solar System to solar System travell.

So I agree with Ripper at 2 Points:

1. Standard thrusters would be used for normal travel and dogfighting.
  2. And a FTL ( Speed should be related to the known Technology )

But I completely disagree with fix jumping Points. Maybe for Long distance travell there could be a high end Technology, wich gave you the abilty to open wormholes. With a percentage that you will throw out somewhere in anywhere :D. Depends on the knownledge of that Technology.

All other things. Speed/Time/Distance are about balancing so we could discuss til we are dead at this Point of development.

@Azrael - Quote from Nyz about Stargates and FTL going from Solar system to Solar system.

Hi Nora and Thasrion,

Yes, you will be able to go anywhere. That's pretty much the technology developed at Novaquark: the CSSC (Continuous Single-Shard Cluster). More information here!

Going from one solar system to another for the first time will take time and fuel (we don't know yet what will be the time range yet from one system to another). Building Stargates won't be mandatory to go to another solar system, but it will be way faster, nearly instantaneous, to keep real incentives for stargates. This will also make two kinds of space travel gameplay: it will be quick to go from one colonized solar system to another where stargates exist. it will be much slower to explore uncolonized solar systems, where everything remains to be done  ;)

Best regards, 

Nyzaltar.

Id like to see something different to jump gates. The problem with gates is they are fixed points in space where camps can be set up to catch people jumping in. A gateless method would eliminate this, but im not sure if this is difficult to implement.

Sorry for the Eve references, but I like the Wormholes that spawn randomly linking systems to each other. Again, I can see positives and negatives to this method. You would need to or have someone scan them down. They would collapse after a period, but I can see opportunities for people to scan them and set up some sort of mobile trade hub there for the duration of the WH lifespan.

Be cool to jump to a system and land in a little community where you could stock up with ammo or rep your ship. then jump away to your next desto.

They might show up on star maps, they could stay up for weeks as opposed to the 24hrs in Eve.

You can have modules that scan them down, structures that lock them until a toll is paid (i can see that leading to a few wars).

You could have sneaky pirate modules that let you slip through undetected.

They could be perma-linked between system A and system B, but would spawn/respawn in different locations in A and B. You could also get random WHs spawn leading to totally far away places which would allow for devs to online new areas of space in expansions.

@Azrael - Quote from Nyz about Stargates and FTL going from Solar system to Solar system.

I am not sure what you want to tell me with this.

In one way you just confirm what I said. For Example FTL exist and all other things are about balancing.

I still completely disagree with fix jumping Points and i still prefer something like that:

Maybe for Long distance travell there could be a high end Technology, wich gave you the abilty to open wormholes. With a percentage that you will throw out somewhere in anywhere :D. Depends on the knownledge of that Technology.

And as he said its not necessary to build Stargates to leave a solar System.

@NQ-Nyzaltar

But again :

From what we have analyzed, afk cloaking has been possible because of a few things:

- the fact that all players in the solar system are displayed on the local chat. If you see someone you don't know, it migh be a spy, or someone planning an ambush.

- the fact that a player can leave from a safe area (space stations) from a unique point (easy to ambush). 

- the fact that a player wanting to leave the solar system generally needs to use a stargate (also an easy place to ambush).

I still suggest another fast way to leave the solar System otherwise its just suboptimal. Now you can decided between a Long risky slow travell or an ambush at the stargate.

@Jonny (I always think "Heressss Johnny" when reading your name)

Stargates won't be the only method of travel, just the fastest. In fact from what is known it is likely all stargates are player built and needs someone to travel there first to build it. They are also said to be expensive so likely a rarity at least in the early days of the game.

Explorers will be using some form of FTL travel that is not gate to gate, but slower. They haven't said how slow yet. This would allow you to enter and exit systems where ever you like.

Also, I'm not sure you understand the idea that DU will be procedurally generated and thus endless. Devs won't need wormhole to open new space, people just need to travel out there. Now using them for special events is a good idea.

@jonnyhicks

The problem with pre-made jump gates is as you say. However in DU jump gates will be player made and destructible. This makes them an important strategic asset to control or destroy. In interstellar war if you can destroy key enemy controlled gates then you can cripple their ability to move around quickly. They are a super weapon though, so I think their capabilities need to be tempered somehow.

I've got mixed feelings on wormholes. If I've got time later I'll share my thoughts.