What makes this game worth $13/£10 per month?

Netherspark

Star Citizen has cleared that up. People will be spending real money on newer models of ships in-game. Same deal with people who buy iPhone 6, then the next year they buy iPhone 6S, next year they buy iPhone 6XXL and so on.

Make what you wish out of it.

Yes you can buy the ships in SC outright but almost all ships (rare alien ships you have to capture) will be obtainable in game if you don't want to use real moneys.

If you hardcore game everyday then a Sub fee would be worth it. But as gamers get older, life and responsibilities get in the way. I maybe have about 5 hours in a week to do any gaming. And that depends if the weather outside sucks. Otherwise I'm outdoors or out and about. So a Sub fee to me is not worth it. I would be wasting my money.

Sorry to keep arguing with you :), but SC has been pretty clear that they will stop selling ships for money before beta ends. Expected price for the game is $60. I don't think they plan a subscription fee (but less sure of that).

Wel, if they want to maintain the servers for the MMO they will have to conceive a way for the servers to keep running. Having sales on an Aurora 2020 edition, could help that. Or, even visual paintjobs on a cosmetic shop, who knows.

• 1 year later...

Ya, I been thinking about that too I think the two main things are server and company upkeep. I suggested getting the game to some of my friends and as soon as they hear the monthly subscription thing they are just like "fuck that" lol. If DU will have at least one million people playing that should be about 10 million per month and 120 million per year... so im like... k den...

2 minutes ago, boots_1588 said:

I suggested getting the game to some of my friends and as soon as they hear the monthly subscription thing they are just like "fuck that" lol.

It's all about clever marketing or picking the right approach.

I mean, countless people also played and play EvE Online which also has monthly cost, as far as I can still assume. It's been almost a decade since I touched it.

When getting to that particular topic the key is mentioning the compromise, that you do not necessarily HAVE to pay monthly to play.

Someone could gift you DAC, letting you play - although chances are strangers wouldn't just do that for nothing in return, and assuming it's not some lottery where those owning them throw them out like that. But that means you can earn those and use them to obtain game time (1 DAC should equal 1 month). Maybe you pay initially but then obtain sufficient in-game funds to buy DACs in the game and use them for game time.

My point being, unlike some other games, you do not have to necessarily pay to play. How (un)likely that becomes is of course dependent on too many factors to list or fantasize about, but it is possible. To give an example, any backer of a certain status gets free DACs, from a few to a lot. Some could hoard them, some could sell them for in-game currency and some could gift or grant them to other players relatively free of charge or under specific conditions.

1 hour ago, boots_1588 said:

Ya, I been thinking about that too I think the two main things are server and company upkeep. I suggested getting the game to some of my friends and as soon as they hear the monthly subscription thing they are just like "fuck that" lol. If DU will have at least one million people playing that should be about 10 million per month and 120 million per year... so im like... k den...

so you started a new topic some days ago about that - now you necro a thread from 2016.

Even NQ answered you - just accept it. It's decided and there's literally nothing left to discuss anymore

@Mod-Meldrik @Mod-Mercutio @Mod-Merwyn