Mining Operations

hydroclan

Hello everyone! I'm a mining engineering student.

I am very much curious as to how will we able to do mining operations inside the game.

If by any chance we do it realistically(in our current state of technology). In order to mine a lot of resources, you need a lot of things to get before you start a mining operation. Traditionally we only have 2 types of mining method. It's either through Surface Mining Method or Underground Mining Method.

In order to get a lot of raw materials in a short amount of time, you need a lot of people to dig the ground and survey the areas to get possible measurements of ore bodies below the ground. It is not realistic to mine resources with just one person(very funny idea). You need a team to have a good extraction and production and later on sell those resources in the market with good price.

It is very much obvious that without getting raw materials, technological advancement as a whole will be slow. Like, "how engineers inside the game make machines without raw materials" that kind of question.

My final point is... How do we do our mining operations in Dual Universe? Or do we even have such methods to get resources?

Guys....don't hesitate to share your ideas.

Or just let me know if I missed something.  :)

Thanks,

HyDrOclaN

That nifty little attachment on your arm there, the Nanoformer, is the key. It's going to be the single most important tool in your possession at the start of the game. Essentially it is a molecular reconstructor. You will be able to "mine" resources from the natural world of Alioth with its molecular laser, which will be collected into your Kadpak, at which point you can use those resources to construct something new. As a simple example, you point your Nanoformer at a tree and gather its timber into your Kadpak. Now you have x units of wood, and you're able to construct a simple chair out of the gathered wood. The same concept can be applied to gathering resources to construct more complex mining machines. At any rate, you'll need some sort of team to accomplish things in DU.

The same concept can be applied to gathering resources to construct more complex mining machines.

Oh please elaborate on the "more" part here please, what kind of machines and how many ect :)..

Oh please elaborate on the "more" part here please, what kind of machines and how many ect :)..

Well if you've read the Dual Universe story (see it on the devblog), you'll notice in part 5 that the rock formation yields a new blueprint. This blueprint (we don't know what it presents yet) could be a blueprint for a gun, a ship Element (like an engine or weapon), or any number of things. Blueprints (I believe) are going to be the key to constructing Elements. While constructs are going to be made out of Elements and other parts, the Elements themselves are going to be constructed by using a blueprint that says "Gather x amount of this and y of that" and simply crafts the Element for you (since the majority of players aren't going to know engine or motor mechanics, etc.).

So back to the mining example: Say you had a blueprint for a motor drill, one of the big industrial ones (one much more powerful than your Nanoformer) and you've managed to gather all the resources it calls for. You click Build and boom there's your drill. (I don't know the specifics of blueprint crafting yet so don't take what I say to be completely true.) You'll probably need a housing or chassis for the drill, so you construct that too. Power up your drill, and there it goes drilling all the coal or rock or whatever you need. That's kind of the basic idea of building machines and Constructs in the game.

Now, if you want to get even more complex, you can see some models of certain Constructs and Elements which I've linked below:

There's also some more under Media on the official website and concept art posted on DU's Facebook and Twitter.

Wow thanks, I'm new to the forums so havent had the chance to look at everything yet so you've answered a bunch of questions I had already and given me a whole bunch more...

But as I'm on my phone I'll have to check out everything when I'm on my desktop, sounds like you've given me enough to occupy myself for while :) +1 if I could.

• 4 weeks later...

So if i'm understanding this correctly in the beginning there was a man, or women lol with a nanoformer and in order to get materials that is the basic starting tool. You use that tool to get resources that goes in your kadpak. I am assuming there will be weight limits on the character? If there is limits can i build a wheel barrel or a cart of some sort? Can i keep upgrading the cart to a trailer to a dump truck to a etc.... To further my advancement in constructs will i always discover a bpo/bpc or would i have to research the materials or items to unlock more hidden secrets, say the fibers of the log allow me to make a lighter more durable structure by manipulating the structure of those fibers... thoughts?

So if i'm understanding this correctly in the beginning there was a man, or women lol with a nanoformer and in order to get materials that is the basic starting tool. You use that tool to get resources that goes in your kadpak. I am assuming there will be weight limits on the character? If there is limits can i build a wheel barrel or a cart of some sort? Can i keep upgrading the cart to a trailer to a dump truck to a etc.... To further my advancement in constructs will i always discover a bpo/bpc or would i have to research the materials or items to unlock more hidden secrets, say the fibers of the log allow me to make a lighter more durable structure by manipulating the structure of those fibers... thoughts?

Well i dont know so much about weight limits. The Kadpacks have antigrav tech if you read the lore. But they will have a storage limit for compression. And I would assume a limit to how many kadpacks you could hold personally. 

And it is assumed some BP's would be available form the ark and others found but that is unknown fully. But yes, you will slowly build higher tech items. There was even mention of more advanced ways to mine, presumably faster, by building a drill machine. 

I wonder if there will be big stripmines where we're excavating massive amounts of material...  Or tunnels to seek out pockets of valuable materials...

Or if we'll just plop a "mining device" down on the surface and it'll suck out the tasty resources rather than deforming the ground...

Also asteroid mining and orbital processing facilities... 1 good size asteroid in real life could contain as much as or in some cases many times more material than the entire woulds mining efforts produce in a year...  especially in regards to rare earth elements.

Aluminum for instance... in the past was difficult to process and so was as valuable as Platinum is today... The Washington Monument in DC was capped with Aluminum as it was a precious metal at the time... now it's used in everything everywhere.  If and when we start asteroid mining IRL... when 1 asteroid contains 10... 15... times the worlds production of Gold and Platinum... it could really change the whole dynamic and end a lot of planet side mining.  

I wonder if a similar transition will occur in game.

"Also asteroid mining and orbital processing facilities... 1 good size asteroid in real life could contain as much as or in some cases many times more material than the entire woulds mining efforts produce in a year...  especially in regards to rare earth elements."

I guess they are not rare space minerals then  B)

I have been a miner in many games I played for over 15 years now. The idea of big drills in the future was never mentioned. It was thought that in the future we'd have faster more modern ways to mine. In one game we walk along dropping charges we need to buy. They go off one by one and a scanner we carry reads it as deposits underground. Then a small 'tower' pops up when something is found, and you switch to a extractor...a beamed sucking devise as it were. For every 'hit' it brings up a certain amount of ore,oil,etc. Then when the deposit runs out the tower disappears and you go looking again.

Thats one way to mine in the future, mining asteroids, because of the lack of air and gravity, was always done with beams ,mining and gravity beams one to rip the minerals out of the rocks and one to drag them into the ship. Getting out to walk around on asteroids would be both dangerous and not needed , scanners can do all that from the safety of the ship. Teleporter beams were also used in some games, the scanner sees the ore, ID's it and the beam reaches out and drags it in. So no...I dont see strip mining in the future, it'll be considered barbaric by then.

I have been a miner in many games I played for over 15 years now. The idea of big drills in the future was never mentioned. It was thought that in the future we'd have faster more modern ways to mine. In one game we walk along dropping charges we need to buy. They go off one by one and a scanner we carry reads it as deposits underground. Then a small 'tower' pops up when something is found, and you switch to a extractor...a beamed sucking devise as it were. For every 'hit' it brings up a certain amount of ore,oil,etc. Then when the deposit runs out the tower disappears and you go looking again.

Thats one way to mine in the future, mining asteroids, because of the lack of air and gravity, was always done with beams ,mining and gravity beams one to rip the minerals out of the rocks and one to drag them into the ship. Getting out to walk around on asteroids would be both dangerous and not needed , scanners can do all that from the safety of the ship. Teleporter beams were also used in some games, the scanner sees the ore, ID's it and the beam reaches out and drags it in. So no...I dont see strip mining in the future, it'll be considered barbaric by then.

I agree that in the future we should have more advanced technology to gather the resources we need to produce the items we need. However in the beginning, after reading some of the lore, it sounds like your ship crash/landed on a planet and you have very limited basic supplies to begin with. It's our job to gather hunt and repopulate/colonize etc.. I wouldn't want to start a game with having the technology right away but rather to rebuild the technology from scratch.

you will have technology, the ship will carry it because it was planned that way. you wont be making steel from ore the first day you'll be hunting for food and then using the materials and plans inside the mother ship to restart civilization. No one would drop you on a planet from a star ship without proper technology to get you started, so small machines like the scanner they mentioned will be around from day one. Bigger more impressive and heavier mining machines will come later, after a suitable amount of ore is on hand to manufacture them.

Probably going a bit off topic here, but I'd like to see oil rigs in oceans and specialized mining equipment for mining gas from the ground.

Perhaps even repercussions for not mining gas safely (ie, methane exploding, etc.), and oil platform blowouts for not securing them properly.

Probably going a bit off topic here, but I'd like to see oil rigs in oceans and specialized mining equipment for mining gas from the ground.

Perhaps even repercussions for not mining gas safely (ie, methane exploding, etc.), and oil platform blowouts for not securing them properly.

No not off topic at all. Part of mining should involve such resources as gas oil methane etc. I also agree that risk should go hand in hand with mining. Land slides, sink holes, and caveins.

We talked about mining of materials like ores and minerals etc.. Was wondering if possibly harvesting of trees and collection of water and population control of wildlife and/or domesticated animals. I think it would be interesting to have since they are an integral part of everyday resources needs. That being said if they were to implement this i would also feel there would be risk, as yamamushi pointed out. If we harvest to many trees then the atmosphere becomes less oxygen rich. To many animals if not properly managed could increase methane. Harvesting to much water could also have an effect. Could there be Fresh water and salt water? I think this is a great topic to keep discussing. MINERS ARE THE BACK BONES TO EVERY SUCCESSFUL CIVILIZATION.

The term "Mining" is a very broad term, and since we are getting more away from the core of that perhaps the term should be " Gathering" or Harvesting" since oil,gas,and ore are only small parts of what we will need. They make up only maybe 20% of our needs daily. Food of all kinds, from plants that can be transplanted and raised professionally, to hunting and domesticating some animals too. That's just food, then there's water, we cant live without it, but we will probably build near rivers and streams to supply that.

So maybe Mining could mean just ores and minerals like oil and gas, but Harvesting means to kill or take from Nature, so food would fit that term best. Not to mention culling animals for both safety and food and hides even, for leather and shoes,coats,gloves etc.So all these things can be done in game. Hunting could be quite profitable at first, then slowly die as domesticated animals take over. Planting farms for food will be needed and will forever be profitable since we cant live without it.

So Gathering of all things will go on indefinitely, since we forever need things. Metals and plastics, made from ore and oil, make up our ships, and fuel of course. Wither water craft for exploring the planets, or space craft for getting us there. truly exploring the galaxy would need a lot, and a game doing this honestly would be around forever, or a very long time.