DevBlog: The first images of Dual Universe!

NQ-Nyzaltar

As it seems to be the concensus, the screenshots surpass my expectations so far, even if we can see some "adjustements" to tweak. Having done some 3D modeling and coding, I am really impressed. Good job to the team.

I do have a request though : can we get a screenshot of the Arkship (from close and from distance) ? :)

Regards,
Shadow

Thanks! Of course, this is not final quality on the graphics side. Lot of tweaking remains to be done ;)

As for the Arkship, you have already a glimpse of it in this screenshot:

cockpit_atmo1.jpg?w=600

But it's possible we'll post something more on this topic in the coming weeks  :ph34r:

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

Two questions:

Are these screen captures from within the actual generated world and created ships, cities, etc, artist renderings over the procedurally generated world, or artist renderings taken from basic concepts in a test world?

Second, my assumption is that you will be running Dual on a server cluster similar to the technology used by Eve Online.  Do you have any ideas on how you expect to handle the lag of so much flying around at a single time within a single shard?  Even with all the the technology, EVE can be one huge lagfest in the middle of the largest battles.  Granted, your internet speed, graphics quality, and computer speed will impact that, but the server's ability to handle the load is also a large determining factor.

Starting out, I do not anticipate that we will encounter such issues as we will probably be planetary bound starting out, however, there will be a point where you will hopefully have large space battles with hundreds (if not thousands if Dual's life is measured in years greater than a decade) or thousands of ships flying around with their miscellaneous, rockets, missiles, beams, beer cans, flying all about at the same time.

Is this something that you have considered for the future, are are you still just at the "lets get the planet built and the underlying foundation" level   :)

As for the Arkship, you have already a glimpse of it in this screenshot:

That's still a bit far for me :).

I'm waiting for the next one so.

Regards,

Shadow

Those screenshots.. For use of a better term, make me giddy like a little school girl.. (27yr Old man here).

Question though, that i've not seen anywhere in my adventuring around the forums is modular building. In that i mean building sections of a stucture/vehicle..ect at once, kind of like a copy & paste but prefab'd.

I don't know if I'm explaining this correct, but if you think of how kerbal space program does prefab designs, something like that. where you can 'Attach' specifically designed and saved for multiple use parts onto a main body.

Or is everything required to be created from scratch everytime?..

I haven't had the chance to look around the forums 100% yet, so maybe asked/answered elsewhere, i'm only asking because one of the screenshots has a view of multiple people standing around multiple buildings and i'm thinking about the copy & paste quick setup of bases/ buildings on new planets with friends and how (if possible) Dual Universe does it.

Also, I'm borrowing all the screenshots for desktop usage, I hope that is alright xD

EDIT: Becuase i didn't want to double post.

How close are the planets going to be?.. The one thing I don't really like about Space Engineers, even though I love the game and the planets, is the 'NEED' to rely on the Jump Drive. I want to be able to speed up and get from planet to planet without 'Jumping' multiple times, breaks immersion and enjoyably for me that. I've found myself in SE staying much more in one location than i should because 'jumping' isn't fun. I want to FLY LIKE THE WIND... in space... where there is no wind...

We can't trick you, can't we?    ;)

Indeed, for testing purpose, the planets are very close to each other. 

You can expect to have them more spaced in the official release.

ect...

Finally get to see some screenshots and they do not disappoint!  It all looks very impressive and awe-inspiring.  I mean, we've discussed huge structures in space, but seeing that space station just puts it into perspective - stuff like that will be player-made brick by brick!  For some reason the forest pic really stands out for me... something about exploring the untouched, unknown terrain...

I was looking through the images that you've uploaded and noticed this little thing here.. What is this in the air?.. Is that a destroyer, a moon, a asteroid.. what is it... the curiosity is too much!.. 

http://i.imgur.com/6zb6Bg9.png

EDIT: Changed the image to a link as it was MASSIVE..

It looks more like a modern day Drone to me xD DJI Phantom 4 :P

Are these screen captures from within the actual generated world and created ships, cities, etc, artist renderings over the procedurally generated world, or artist renderings taken from basic concepts in a test world?

It's all within the actual generated world. We have in-house artists that create the ships and constructions you see, for illustration purposes.

Second, my assumption is that you will be running Dual on a server cluster similar to the technology used by Eve Online.  Do you have any ideas on how you expect to handle the lag of so much flying around at a single time within a single shard?  Even with all the the technology, EVE can be one huge lagfest in the middle of the largest battles.  Granted, your internet speed, graphics quality, and computer speed will impact that, but the server's ability to handle the load is also a large determining factor.

We have developed our own custom technology, that we lovingly call "Continuous Single-Shard Cluster", CSSC, based on the principle of "dynamic space spliting". It is, to our best understanding, quite different from what Eve is doing. In testing, and in theory, CSSC is working incredibly well, but of course, we don't want to brag about it before we have live tests with real users. If you want to know a bit more, we had a blogpost on this some time ago:

Question though, that i've not seen anywhere in my adventuring around the forums is modular building. In that i mean building sections of a stucture/vehicle..ect at once, kind of like a copy & paste but prefab'd.I don't know if I'm explaining this correct, but if you think of how kerbal space program does prefab designs, something like that. where you can 'Attach' specifically designed and saved for multiple use parts onto a main body. Or is everything required to be created from scratch everytime?..

How close are the planets going to be?.. The one thing I don't really like about Space Engineers, even though I love the game and the planets, is the 'NEED' to rely on the Jump Drive. I want to be able to speed up and get from planet to planet without 'Jumping' multiple times, breaks immersion and enjoyably for me that. I've found myself in SE staying much more in one location than i should because 'jumping' isn't fun. I want to FLY LIKE THE WIND... in space... where there is no wind...

About "modular building":

Yes it is planned to give the opportunity to player to "save" a part of construct, in order to copy/paste it. This is something absolutely crucial when you build gigantic structure without taking ages :)

About distance between planets:

Even if the planets will be more spaced than in our current test configuration, you probably won't have to jump to reach a planet located in the same solar system you are in. But go from one system to another, you will probably have to jump (meaning you have also acquired to do it). On the long term, it is planned to enable players to build "Stargates", to be able to jump on very long distances with minimum of travel time. But building a Stargate will require advanced technology level, huge amounts of resources and probably significant coordinated teamplay! ;)

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

About distance between planets:

Even if the planets will be more spaced than in our current test configuration, you probably won't have to jump to reach a planet located in the same solar system you are in. But go from one system to another, you will probably have to jump (meaning you have also acquired to do it). On the long term, it is planned to enable players to build "Stargates", to be able to jump on very long distances with minimum of travel time. But building a Stargate will require advanced technology level, huge amounts of resources and probably significant coordinated teamplay! ;)

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

Im really happy with these plans. I think player made stargates add a lot of fun complexity. Also adds an interesting dynamic where some regions might not want stargates and will actively fight to destroy any attempts at established routes

I was looking through the images that you've uploaded and noticed this little thing here.. What is this in the air?.. Is that a destroyer, a moon, a asteroid.. what is it... the curiosity is too much!.. 

At this distance, it's hard to tell. 

Not an asteroid nor a moon, that's for sure.

Most likely a spaceship piloted by someone in the dev team.

*putting a tinfoil hat*... or maybe it's an alien spacecraft spying on the outpost construction. Who knows...?  :ph34r:

They construct outpost. Perhaps this is some form of defense drone, which is controlled by the player, scan the environment.

I like you NQ-Nyzaltar, your whole post was just full of awesome.

Ingame screens - Check

Custom Tech - Check

Copy/Paste - Crucial

Flying to planets - Check

Stargates - Significant

One thing i'm wondering now is if we will have the ability to go where ever we please, or if star gates/ jump drive will be mandatory to get out of the solar system ect, or can we just AFK fly straight for 10 hours and leave the solar system that way?..

EDIT:...

SPYING AND TINFOIL HATS!... if i wasn't sold before i sure am now!

Ingame screens - Check

Custom Tech - Check

Copy/Paste - Crucial

Stargates - Significant

One thing i'm wondering now is if we will have the ability to go where ever we please, or if star gates/ jump drive will be mandatory to get out of the solar system ect, or can we just AFK fly straight for 10 hours and leave the solar system that way?..

I'd like to know this as well. Stargates or jumpgates are fine but a jump drive on a ship is what I would prefer. Gate-camping sucks the ballz.

• 2 weeks later...

noice game, i'll wait it hard. I really want a game like this to play. 

Build ships, land on atmospherical planets and travel through the galaxy is simple amazing! Everything that i always wanted. Congratz guys and thanks for do it.

Ah, implement economical system on the game please, and, of course, with free market please (free market on austrian school of economy ways).

I see that it will be also view from the cockpit of the ship. Excellent. I have a question:

- whether we will be able to interact with the cockpit, track the parameters of the ship, change parameters ??

Website looks nice ;) .

Hi SzaryWilk,

If by "interacting with the cockpit" you mean seeing the cockpit opening when you want to enter it, yes, you will.

I'm not sure to understand what you mean by "track the parameters of the ship, change parameters". Could you develop the topic? :)

I watched at these screenshots and something was missing  ............... asteroids belts :)  .

Faith that they will be in the game. Do you already have some models asteroids belts , some concepts ??

Long strips of asteroids, rings of asteroids around planets :) .

I hope that You will show us it in the near future ;)  .

Indeed, we don't have asteroid belts screenshots.

But you will see asteroids... soon. Can't say more for now ;)

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

Ingame screens - Check

Custom Tech - Check

Copy/Paste - Crucial

Stargates - Significant

I'd like to know this as well. Stargates or jumpgates are fine but a jump drive on a ship is what I would prefer. Gate-camping sucks the ballz.

Hi Nora and Thasrion,

Yes, you will be able to go anywhere. That's pretty much the technology developed at Novaquark: the CSSC (Continuous Single-Shard Cluster). More information here!

Going from one solar system to another for the first time will take time and fuel (we don't know yet what will be the time range yet from one system to another). Building Stargates won't be mandatory to go to another solar system, but it will be way faster, nearly instantaneous, to keep real incentives for stargates. This will also make two kinds of space travel gameplay: it will be quick to go from one colonized solar system to another where stargates exist. it will be much slower to explore uncolonized solar systems, where everything remains to be done ;)

Best regards, 

Nyzaltar.

Hi Nora and Thasrion,

Yes, you will be able to go anywhere. That's pretty much the technology developed at Novaquark: the CSSC (Continuous Single-Shard Cluster). More information here!

Going from one solar system to another for the first time will take time and fuel (we don't know yet what will be the time range yet from one system to another). Building Stargates won't be mandatory to go to another solar system, but it will be way faster, nearly instantaneous, to keep real incentives for stargates. This will also make two kinds of space travel gameplay: it will be quick to go from one colonized solar system to another where stargates exist. it will be much slower to explore uncolonized solar systems, where everything remains to be done ;)

Best regards, 

Nyzaltar.

Again, full of awesome responses Nyz, that answers a bunch of questions about travel around the universe that i both knew i had and didn't know i wanted answered.

EDIT: Also, I noticed I'm beating you on Posts Nyz... better get some more posts out to catch up........ more... information bringing posts........ HINT HINT!.. :)

• 3 weeks later...