DevBlog: The first images of Dual Universe!

NQ-Nyzaltar

(Posted Friday 24th of May 2016 on the DevBlog

desert31.jpg?w=600

Today is an exciting day! We are proud to reveal the first images of Dual Universe, our futuristic MMORPG where players coexist in a single unbounded game universe (with no instances or loading zones), with the added ability to modify the game environment in ways never before seen on this scale and in such great detail.

The images below are all the first publicly available screenshots of the Dual Universe, all images were captured "in game" and represent the game engine and gameplay features in its current pre-alpha state. To put this into context, all the constructions can be built in game by players, all the terrains can be mined and terraformed by the players and all the distant planetary systems can be reached.

It all starts on a planet called Alioth, where, as the story goes, you step out of the arkship ready to embark on your adventure and rebuild civilization.

forest1.jpg?w=200  desert41.jpg?w=200  desert21.jpg?w=200  desert11.jpg?w=200

As you can see, there are several environments on the planet, like dense forest and arid desert. If you look to the sky you will see neighboring planets with their own unique biospheres awaiting to be explored. While we update the game, we will also add more and more diversity to the many different planet types, so explorers can be sure to encounter a rich and varied world full of surprises (we won?t say any more, because, you know, they are surprises!).

Dual Universe is, among many other things, a game where players can get creative and build things. Here is a typical situation where a group of players are collaborating and working together on the construction of an outpost.

building1.jpg?w=600

As player?s ambitions grow and the materials required become more obtainable, cities and building will be built. The images below shows how the end result may look.

outpost1.jpg?w=200  ground_station.jpg?w=200  city.jpg?w=200

Then come the creation of ships and space stations! For example, you can build small personal spacecrafts...

landscape.jpg?w=300  desert31.jpg?w=300

...in which case you get a Cockpit UI when you enter one of these.

cockpit_space1.jpg?w=300  cockpit_atmo1.jpg?w=300

But you can also build far bigger, multiplayer ships...

spaceship_space1.jpg?w=300  spaceship_ground.jpg?w=300

...to the point where you can build really huge behemoths! This is something that has never been done in any builder game that we know of, especially not in a continuous single-shard MMO.  When we say ?behemoth?, we mean a space station that is 1.5km long, entirely made with voxels, as in the images below.

spacestation1.jpg?w=600

Perhaps even more importantly than size, which of course matters, is the fact that multiplayer ships and orbital stations are inhabitable: you can walk in it, meet some friends in it, discuss, play and coordinate your actions with them.

You can see below a screenshot showing an interior command room of a space station.

command_room1.jpg?w=600

Then, there is space. The big vast blackness of space interrupted by the enigmatic flickers of light from distant stars, each one representing a possible new world to explore and conquer. This exploration will most likely arrive in a later stage in the game, when players will have mastered the technologies for warp drives and even later, stargates. But we give you a taste of it, because we find it awe-inspiringly beautiful.

space1.jpg?w=600

That?s it for now! We hope you like what you see. Again, remember that everything you see here is in-game, all constructions can be built and edited by players. Add the fact that everything takes place in the same continuous universe and we believe that we have a game that is really new and exciting. But the only thing that matters for us now is what you think! So feel free to give us feedback and suggestions. We won?t be able to integrate all ideas in the short time that separates us from the alpha, but we will keep in mind and care about everything you say.

If you haven't seen it already, you will find useful additional on it!

JC Baillie,

Project Lead.

all looks very good for an alpha.

the game has very potential. But planets are too near each others. MAybe it is not the same somewhere else. Also planets need a big fat athmosphere but it is alpha. And for an alpha it looks already excellent.

There are so much things we can do alone or together, join corporations for helping to build buildings or even cities, etc.

THank you and keep good work. :)

Nyz why you do dis.

Sorry for the slight delay Silvligh.

There was a minor technical problem preventing to post the topic with so many pictures in it ;)

Problem solved!

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

all looks very good for an alpha.

the game has very potential. But planets are too near each others. MAybe it is not the same somewhere else. Also planets need a big fat athmosphere but it is alpha. And for an alpha it looks already excellent.

There are so much things we can do alone or together, join corporations for helping to build buildings or even cities, etc.

THank you and keep good work. :)

We can't trick you, can't we? ;)

Indeed, for testing purpose, the planets are very close to each other. 

You can expect to have them more spaced in the official release.

Also yes, as we are in pre-alpha, these screenshots do not represent final graphics of the game.

A lot of work remains to be done on the planet environment, as well as lightning tweaking :)

Thanks for your support!

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

Screenshots are impressive, very impressive !! I am positively surprised :rolleyes: .

Now graphically it looks great. Surfaces of planets look great, especially those planets seen in the distance.

I see that it will be also view from the cockpit of the ship. Excellent. I have a question:

- whether we will be able to interact with the cockpit, track the parameters of the ship, change parameters ??

Website looks nice ;) .

OMG, OMG! OMG!!!!  wow, you have impressed me. very nice shots, and love the scale so far.  That city with the folks in it, the city in space, everything looks Fking AWESOME!!  I want in!! Now please...lol

Cant wait to build a base on a planet and have a massive starport for others to land in.  

One of the main challenges facing another space MMO is balancing fidelity with allowing many players, ships (objects) within the same area with everything functioning smoothly with great frame rates. I really hope this pans out and we can have epic battles and situations go well.

Looks amazing. Like I said on twitter, the screenies look crazy good for PRE-ALPHA, some games at launch do not look this nice. I really like the screenshots of the larger ship (not the giant one). The engines look stellar, I can't wait to make a large craft.

I am impressed :D

OMG, OMG! OMG!!!!  wow, you have impressed me. very nice shots, and love the scale so far.  That city with the folks in it, the city in space, everything looks Fking AWESOME!!  I want in!! Now please...lol

Cant wait to build a base on a planet and have a massive starport for others to land in.  

^I'm with you on this 100% :D Everything looks amazing! I can't wait lol.

Amazing job devs! Keep up the amazing work! :D

The screenshots surpassed my expectations by far.

my initial reaction was that i thought the pics were artist mock-ups but then i quickly noticed it's actually in-game screenies

i immediately thought "ok, this has definitely sold me out." first there was some doubt about how good the game could become but upon seeing the screenshots i am now certain that dual universe will become a very good game and has alot of potential for future additions.

my second reaction was regarding to the engines of the ship. novaquark, big f-cking respect to you for these engines! they actually look really nice! much wow. nice and big, just as it should be!

my third reaction was regarding the planets noticing how much freedom you have there. you can just walk around in a huge forest like in reality and get lost. or you can build a bunker in one of the mountains with a tunnel exit ending in the forest. the possibilities here are endless.

overall, nice work novaquark!

I watched at these screenshots and something was missing  ............... asteroids belts :)  .

Faith that they will be in the game. Do you already have some models asteroids belts , some concepts ??

Long strips of asteroids, rings of asteroids around planets :) .

I hope that You will show us it in the near future ;)  .

Holy shiiiiiiit.

That. That. That's amazing!!!

Wow, no half-baked stuff from you guys, this graphical fidelity is more polished than half of the released games I see.

That Cockpit UI is insanity!!! It looks fantastic.

I give thumbs up.

this graphical fidelity is more polished than half of the released games I see.

From time to time I play in Empyrion. Empyrion is on Alpha. Few minutes ago out of curiosity I take my small vasal and I go to orbit of the planet. In Dual Universe view of the planets from long distance it looks much, much better.

Hehee looks spectacular!! You all just love tormenting us with the wait don't you? <3 <3 Love the command center!

By the by, I really enjoy the little constellations on the new website. They're interactive so there's something new for all you that haven't seen it yet! :)

As it seems to be the concensus, the screenshots surpass my expectations so far, even if we can see some "adjustements" to tweak. Having done some 3D modeling and coding, I am really impressed. Good job to the team.

I do have a request though : can we get a screenshot of the Arkship (from close and from distance) ? :)

Regards,

Shadow