Social Areas to find people easier (Idea from Estevan)

NQ-Nyzaltar

Estevan:

You've been talking about teams and alliances being an important part of the game. Would there be social areas that make finding people easier? Like lets say maybe postings at a pub that request a crew for a mission? or perhaps a specific place to meet possible allies? Also should there be people whod want to be a “crew for hire” would there be parts of the game that would incorporate that?

Novaquark Team:

Creating social features making life easier for players to interact with each other is on the list. Having “social hubs” where people can put requests looking for people (example: Mercenary for hire, Advertising to join a Player faction/corporation, etc) is something we are thinking about.

• 2 weeks later...

It has been my experience, that in a sandbox game, social interaction is a huge part of making a game successful.  Dynamic gameplay is going to bring people in and bring them together to accomplish things, but social interaction will make them stay.   Let's face it, Second Life has the "playability" of a turtle soccer match, but it still survives and continues just with social interaction between people (granted some of that on the more seamy side of the equation).  The strength of "The Secret World" is not just in their storytelling, but also in the community they have created. Having that level of social interaction coupled with strong and compelling gameplay, plus the ability for people to create their own things and content, and I think you will have a winner.

No one wants to run around for a half hour trying to find people, or trying to find something to do.  Find a way to promote that interaction, in a world-centric environment, and you will not only have happy players, but also provide for a strong RP base.

• 1 year later...

This is good for finding people in general, but it's harder to find someone met in the forum (or anywhere out of the game) to make things together.

For that, there are two different possibilities I found (but I think there are others) :

- friend system with direction and distance of the location of your friends ?

- "invite code" for new players, making them appear next to their friend who has generated and given the code, or next to their friend's Arkship ?

- something else ?

If their is no incentive for a player or group to seek and meet each other, what is the point of making a multiplayer game right ? ;)

This nice battlecruiser we have built over there needs targets !