Short development update (15/04/2016)

NQ-Nyzaltar

Our Art team has grown significantly since the beginning of the year, both in seniority and by the number of dedicated artists. This has impacted the development on two aspects:

1) Harmonizing the Art Direction

Recent artworks and 3D models (still work in progress) published share a common style:

- Heavy weapon turret 3D model

- Cockpit Concept Art for solo spaceships

- Decorative Props for city streets

- The new reactor 3D Model displayed in Marmoset later today

UN-Style.jpg

You can see in these visual assets the art style (work in progress) we plan to use to represent the "United Nations" and human technology at its peak before embarking in the Arkships (keep in mind  it might evolve quite a bit between today and the official release or even the Alpha phase).

2) Including their knowledge and their skills in the first screenshots

We had planned to post some screenshots sooner, but we felt it would be a missed opportunity if we didn't include some of the massive improvements, relatively quick to implement, coming from the new guys. No doubt this will have a significant impact on how the game will look & feel. These first screens won't contain the final quality of the playable Alpha, but it will give some ideas of where we are heading.  So brace yourselves for the first in-game screenshots in the second half of May! :)

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Yes, things are getting quiet here.

But it shouldn't last (at least we hope!) as May will be definitely the month where the first screenshots will be released :)

I'm indeed less present at the moment on the forum, working on PR related tasks. But I will be definitely there for everyone when the annoucement will be released on the internet! Developing the Alpha Team project (private section and all) is also in the todo list of the coming weeks ;)

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

Hi everyone!

But it shouldn't last (at least we hope!) as May will be definitely the month where the first screenshots will be released :)

I'm indeed less present at the moment on the forum, working on PR related tasks. But I will be definitely there for everyone when the annoucement will be released on the internet! Developing the Alpha Team project (private section and all) is also in the todo list of the coming weeks ;)

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

Good to hear!

Hi everyone!

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

No issues. I think most of us understand the importance of getting the alpha in a good state and having all your ducks lined up for the alpha release.

For those who don't follow us on social media, here are a few more updates about the art direction posted in the recent weeks.

A preview of available Elements to make a small (single player) spaceship:

ChyhmHOW0AAlTNY.jpg

Some examples of concepts showing modularity when using these Elements on a voxel construct to make a minimalistic spaceship:

CiwOmJpWkAEh3Vn.jpg

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

In combat, can you target the components to disable your opponents cockpit, engines, weapons and such so you can salvage the parts not destroyed? or do the ships just go BOOM and everything gets destroyed?

In combat, can you target the components to disable your opponents cockpit, engines, weapons and such so you can salvage the parts not destroyed? or do the ships just go BOOM and everything gets destroyed?

Nope. Take a look at this paragraph from the "Multiplayer Ship Crew" devblog:

Now, imagine combats. Besides the specialized weapons allocation to various crew members, the fact that the ship is a real object and not some formal 3D image allows for incredible things: partial structural damage that must be repaired (crew members racing to fix this broken hull ? FTL anyone?), but also even more exciting is the possibility to board another ship after having cracked open its hull. In my opinion, from an emergent/strategic point of view this is a very interesting alternative to the classical way of completely destroying any enemy ship during combat: instead, board it and take control! Note that we don?t know yet how much of this will be playable in the alpha or beta stage, but it will definitely be something we will support in the long term.

So yes. Partial damage is planned.