NQ-Nyzaltar

DevBlog: Monetization, player happiness and economic viability

As a P2P EVE player with two paying accounts, I have no problem with subscriptions. In fact I prefer it because it keeps DEVs from trying to make money via Pay to Win. Of course I wouldn't mind Buy to Play but if this game is going to be as good as I think it is, subscriptions shouldn't be a deal breaker. And it will go a long way to insure the long term health and stability of the company. 

I think it has to be a subscription. The servers will have to be maintained and expanded as player base grows. As well as upgraded as new tech becomes  available to keep the game current and running smooth. With a buy to play you get a surge of money up front but then nothing to support the game in the long run, let along expand it. 

The monthly pay keeps money flowing in, and gives incentive to keep developing the game to keep old players interested and bring new players in. 

I think it has to be a subscription. The servers will have to be maintained and expanded as player base grows. As well as upgraded as new tech becomes available to keep the game current and running smooth. With a buy to play you get a surge of money up front but then nothing to support the game in the long run, let along expand it.

The monthly pay keeps money flowing in, and gives incentive to keep developing the game to keep old players interested and bring new players in.

I'm going to be that guy who points out that WoW had the monopoly back then on sub based MMOs and well... still here, so I have to agree with 'DD' about the longevity being quite a lot longer if it s sub based.

I prefer sub based for mom's over each of the other types, as long as the extra cash gained from the subs goes back into the game and not purely the devs pockets, which I think the game will get it :) some games went the sub route but didn't have the game to back it up and took all the money, not they are here no longer.

Nora,

I dont want to spend all my time comparing this game to stuff ive been playing for years (Eve), but I will now and again.

I used to mine my butt off to buy PLEX when they were reasonably low cost (500m isk), but after a while I thought 'hey, this isnt what i want to spend all my game hours doing'. It was no longer fun to play, so I thought ' I dont drink, I dont smoke, I dont piss my RL cash away on horses, so why not pay £50 every 6 months on a sub. Im quite isk ritch in game, but to be honest its all about the game experience and when im on every other night im thinking thats really only about £2 per week. I earn that about every 10 minutes in my RL job.

Im all for options for newbies and vets, what i dont really want to see is PAY TO WIN

I feel you Jonny. I never cared to spend my in game money for subs since I could make it faster irl, but I know plenty who did. I do believe there was mention of them implementing a Plex system similar to Eve if they go monthly subscription. Which I like the option for players who want to go that route.

And I think most people will be with you on the pay to win systems. Nova quark should not sell any in game items in their shops so people can buy to get ahead (not that I've seen them suggest it). I think even purely ascetic items like clothing or hairstyles offered should be attainable in game if it exists.

Even flipping time cards gives players who do it an advantage. But at least the money had to be earned in game by someone, so it's one person's gain at another loss and balances

not rly... this plex system from eve i think is not a good option.

if you pay plex for 1 month it is a ,,must have,, to play the game. if you can´t play because your work ect.. you missing many of days.

the best option is to buy a ,,package,, or anything to get a lifetime garanty to come any time back to the game if your time says.

it must not be pay2win or pay2play but with ingame shops you get a better option over long times i think. 

Never ever in my life will I ever enjoy Pay 2 Win games. EVER....

Even the thought of that being a part of DU makes me feel sick, any and all items sold in a store for the game should be cosmetic/aesthetic and not serve a purpose other than skins and ornaments. 

There are plenty of games I've played where they've prided themselves on how it's free and you can do everything 'paying player' can do if you spend the time they just have a slight advantage ect ect and it's all supposed to be nice and fair..

But what they don't tell you is that if you want to be on equal footing with someone who's just spent £20 in game you would need to play 100hours +... when they don't need to spend any time on anything they just have it.

THAT IS NOT FUN.. That is giving advantage to the Rich and screwing the poor or on the worst outlook of it, it is pure GREED.

Of course I've only ever seen this happen with games that are F2P and have a cash shop, but the cash shop is the problem not the F2P part. I do NOT want to see things in the store that would reduce someones playing time by 10's of hours simply because they've paid for it if DU is going to be Subscription base. If DU was F2P, go for it, you need to make money somewhere, but as it is not, this would Infuriate me beyond words and I would probably not play more than a couple of hours.

Sub based with no cash incentivized pay2win shop and i'll play forever.

nora,

If it is subscription it will create a solid base - not at first but eventually. Plex was a good idea in EVE but, as Johnnyhicks noted , it became very expensive and required mining or ratting endlessly like a mindless drone. For the more seasoned players with plenty of skill points they are able to earn plex with relative ease, especially if they have in-game connections and access to lucrative systems. But for new players it is a serious struggle to purchase in-game time with plex. Clearly CCP raised the price of plexes because it was more profitable for them and in a way I understand since having your own mega-server/computer isn't cheap.

Subscriptions is the way to go in my opinion but it would be beneficial to have some incentive to earn in-game time. Problem is make it too easy and you lose revenue; make it too difficult and it's not enjoyable and turns people away. Not really sure if there is a solution to this one. Only thing I could suggest is make subscriptions cheaper than EVE.   :D

I agree for the most part for what has been said on this thread.  I would support a Subscription model opposed to F2P models as a Sub model usually tends to have a less toxic community for the most part and equal footing unlike free 2 play where items tend to turn a game into who has the deeper pockets. I have played Final Fantasy Mmorpg (A Real Reborn) since its release and I have enjoyed that business model of doing things and from what I can tell so has it's thriving community.

Subscription Model

Monthly, 3 month, 6 month, Yearly Sub options. (each offering a small discount on overall price)

Dev, Events ran in game where certain items were awarded for participation such as cosmetics or w.e after 6 months + of the event they are offered in the cash shop allowing for newer players or those whom might have been away (military deployment, vacation, ect.) an opportunity to buy the item if they so choose to. Stating the event period in which it was obtainable is reassuring and only 1 item per account allowed for purchase and cash shop items non trade-able to avoid those marketplace shenanigans of those with deep pockets.

I have been playing space sims as of late and it's all I see myself playing for some time PAY 2 WIN F2P  is not something I would see welcomed by a community of Space Sim players.

I would not, however, move for a PLEX-type model for DU, or any game. I'm not sure exactly how or why, but somehow PLEX seems to always wreck up the economy in games and take the fun out of it. I recall someone earlier in this thread discussing how all of his/her in-game hours in EVE? were taken up by mining so that he could buy PLEX, which defeated the purpose of playing the game for enjoyment, especially when dropping a couple of dollars every month was not a significant investment.

My two cents, deposited.

I would not, however, move for a PLEX-type model for DU, or any game. I'm not sure exactly how or why, but somehow PLEX seems to always wreck up the economy in games and take the fun out of it. I recall someone earlier in this thread discussing how all of his/her in-game hours in EVE? were taken up by mining so that he could buy PLEX, which defeated the purpose of playing the game for enjoyment, especially when dropping a couple of dollars every month was not a significant investment.

My two cents, deposited.

The PLEX model actually has an effect of reducing gold farmers that tend to ruin the game more, and pulls the money from the Devs to someone elses pockets. 

I agree it has some downsides, but its better than the alternatives of them going to gold farmers. I dont mind them using this model, it works well for eve, and if someone wants to waste their time just to make money to waste their time, let them. 

Remember that one player may not be paying a few dollars every month for the game, but somewhere someone is paying his dollars. 

I personally prefer the subscription model for a number of reasons, with a mild in game cash shop. I think World of Warcraft's model is perfect. Sub for playing, cash shop for superficial items that have zero impact on game play.

• People who pay a monthly sub have intent on playing the game, usually in a positive way. Sub models to some degree, help to weed out trolls that F2P bring in droves.

• Budgeting. A sub model can be more easily tracked by the game company which should help with forecasting which should help with projecting development cost. A steady cash flow is always easier to made decisions with than random cash flow. Trust me, as a contractor I live with this daily.

• Subscriptions are simple. People know what the are getting with a subscription. You pay x amount and you get access to the servers with the full game. SWTOR is a BAD example of subscriptions....its not simple because its also free to play (well wow does this now to level 20, but it still easier to understand to a new player). In swtor you get many things unlocked by a sub vs free to play but its not completely transparent which leads to confusion. Their cash shop is mostly superficial, but the issue is they rely too much on the cash shop for revenue. It's almost as if they care more about selling things in the cash shop than making fun content. One this happens the player base feels soured and it's received negatively.

• Subscriptions also help to budget the gamers money. F2P and cash shops often cost more than a simple sub. I was spending 60 to a 100 bucks a month in Guild Wars 2 in the cash shop, the issue is that once I realized I was spending a lot of money, I stopped playing as it was the only option to curb me of spending it. I never had this issue in wow. I spent my 15 a month for close to 10 years and played happily, Guild wars 2 lasted 3 months.

• Buyers remorse. A LOT of people will impulse buy stuff in cash shops to help improve their game play. Now, understand I like cash shops, I like being able to buy cosmetic items, but it ends there. Any kind of power up is a huge turn off. Anyway onto buyers remorse. The issue with cash shops is people not being able to control what they spend can affect their position on playing the game. People who feel 'empty' inside due to spending a ton of cash that they might need for something else in real life can cause them to stop playing the game. This is what happened to me in Guild Wars 2 and I have seen others do the same thing.

To summarize. I personally prefer a subscription because people understand that MMO's have additional cost with servers and continued development. Subs are easy to understand, they feel honest (some times cash shops feel like a rip off) and people know up front what they are getting into. Other models that have the potential for buyers remorse can leave one feeling ill, and that can cause them  to not play.

I guess I prefer the steady and predictable route.

The PLEX model actually has an effect of reducing gold farmers that tend to ruin the game more, and pulls the money from the Devs to someone elses pockets. 

I agree it has some downsides, but its better than the alternatives of them going to gold farmers. I dont mind them using this model, it works well for eve, and if someone wants to waste their time just to make money to waste their time, let them. 

Remember that one player may not be paying a few dollars every month for the game, but somewhere someone is paying his dollars. 

This ^.. I remember when WoW introduced the WoW-Token (What i imagine is a Plex Equivalent, not sure what Plex is) But it just gave the entire population a nice easy way to make loads of money, if they had the pockets for it. But it did reduce the amount of gold spammers and farmers as they couldn't always beat the price of what the Token was from the WoW-Store.

It has it's advantages and disadvantages, I would prefer to see it's advantages gained without the side effect of basically a Ingame Cash for Money scheme behind it. Not sure if it's possible. Or even if that's what plex is, but that's the jist of what i understand from this thread.

I would prefer to have the Plex idea  to get rid of the awful gold spammers and allow everyone to have footing when it concerns currency, if you can't buy it it's unfortunate but the 'legal' option is always there for you when you can.

nora,

Yes sorry, a PLEX is a pilots license extension. EVE term, you buy a timecard for the game, then convert it to an in game item to sell. Same as wows token.

When I was playing I believe gold farmers averaged about half the cost of selling a Plex, but it hurt them. Especially when Plex prices in game rose. Besides a Plex was legal and it helped the devs. They seemed to have shifted to selling a lot of high end items.

Did I interpret that eight that you'd like a method to get real world money for your in game money?

The monthly subscription for playing a game does not look fun in my opinion. Games are meant to be fun and not to grind the whole time you play so you get enough in-game currency to not pay again for a month. Just a 1 time payment will be completely good for everyone even if its 60$. If it will be the "month subscription" option then this game is off my wishlist instantly.

It just not fun to pay every month.It really hard for me to explain how its like but its just not fun

It does remove alot of the not nice people in the game though

The monthly subscription for playing a game does not look fun in my opinion. Games are meant to be fun and not to grind the whole time you play so you get enough in-game currency to not pay again for a month. Just a 1 time payment will be completely good for everyone even if its 60$. If it will be the "month subscription" option then this game is off my wishlist instantly.

It just not fun to pay every month.It really hard for me to explain how its like but its just not fun

Well as i understand it DU will be in development for the foreseeable future with always cool updates. Once the initial influx of people is over and it's 3 years after the launch date, how would they keep the budgets balanced without a subscription? It's a MMO at the end of the day and the longest running most successful MMO to date has a month subscription and i see DU being better and more enjoyable than that :)

But I hope you don't totally sack of DU, the more the merrier, so i hope you do give it a try, there is supposed to be a free trial or weekend or something for new people (don't know if it's confirmed or not) so maybe you can have a go there and see what you think ?

nora,

@joey

I understand why some people shy away from monthly subs, but it is the only way to sustain this kind of game. Regardless of updates, just maintenance cost will consume the initial funds from the game. And remember DU is going to be huge in comparison to others and will need some serious hardware.

I like it for the promise of more updates and continuing content. Just look at WOW and Eve. They couldn't have done what they did with just an upfront sale, both have been running over 10 years. Besides, it gives them incentive to develop more and listen to the players. Upfront cost, once you buy it why should they are. P2P- Don't like what their implementing or don't wanna play anymore unsubscribe. It forces them to listen, I know in Eve it sure has.

Hopefully you'll reconsider as they release more on everything they are doing.

So I have not read all the posts yet (don't have time atm will read them later if I remember)

I like the B2P model the best though I also know that MMOs need money to keep the servers running, people paid, and other things so maybe a hybrid with the P2P model with a cosmetic cash shop. subscribers would also need something so that they keep their subscriptions going so maybe something like priority access to stargates and other things depending on how those work and cash shop item every month or something. Maybe access a special chat as well and a lounge somewhere in the universe. The shop could also include things like XP boost pots and maybe advanced hunter bots that help with PvE (not PvP as that would be P2W). Buying both ingame money and costumes with real money is actually really popular (see all those bots selling ingame money for real money in other MMOs) Nothing that would break the balance in PvP and make the game P2W but things that would be nice to have but not 100% required for play. Also because the player has to buy the game to start they would start with a month or 2 of access to subscriber stuff. This would also give the starting players time to get off the planet at the very start of the game.

What you suggested is b2w, for the simple fact that you said xp boost. And even hunter bots for pve gives them an advantage in PvP as they can advance slightly quicker. And how would anyone consider buying in game currency flat out not a b2w system? Sorry if I sound rude but no, what you suggest is b2w

Furthermore, in a game where everything is player built, they couldn't give priority access to stargates. Sure they could do some private lounge in the ark, or cosmetics which has been suggested. But people point out here, that game model pushes devs to work on those cosmetic items for more income and less on the actual game.

The p2p system is the only one in which the devs have to focus on the intake content long term and listen to the player base. If they don't subs drop and they can't maintain the game and make a profit.

I've played MMOs since the late 90's (UO/EQ/SWG and beyond) and at this point I prefer B2P. I've been burned on so many sub based games I stopped playing most of them.

I kind of wonder if they could do like Second Life hybrid type system which would allow creators to create items and sell with purchasable in game currency and yet players can sub for added bonuses; but somewhat like gw2 where it's just cosmetics. Lets not forget Black Desert and their high priced store items. People brag about spending thousands, I've only spent maybe $30. I'm sure there would be whales who would keep the game profitable,

What you suggested is b2w, for the simple fact that you said xp boost. And even hunter bots for pve gives them an advantage in PvP as they can advance slightly quicker. And how would anyone consider buying in game currency flat out not a b2w system? Sorry if I sound rude but no, what you suggest is b2w

Furthermore, in a game where everything is player built, they couldn't give priority access to stargates. Sure they could do some private lounge in the ark, or cosmetics which has been suggested. But people point out here, that game model pushes devs to work on those cosmetic items for more income and less on the actual game.

The p2p system is the only one in which the devs have to focus on the intake content long term and listen to the player base. If they don't subs drop and they can't maintain the game and make a profit.

not if the stuff only works when using it against PvE (yes it is possible to if the devs want to) and the priority access thing was only a suggestion but it could be done. I don't want to see this game fail simply because people don't want to pay to play it when they have other games like Minecraft (and its mods), Space/Medieval Engineers (and those mods), From the depths, and whatever other games I am forgetting. Also while there have been many p2p games the only ones that I know of that have been truly successful are WoW and EVE. The others that tried to do similar things are mostly b2p or f2p with OP cash shops now or just died out.

not if the stuff only works when using it against PvE (yes it is possible to if the devs want to) and the priority access thing was only a suggestion but it could be done. I don't want to see this game fail simply because people don't want to pay to play it when they have other games like Minecraft (and its mods), Space/Medieval Engineers (and those mods), From the depths, and whatever other games I am forgetting. Also while there have been many p2p games the only ones that I know of that have been truly successful are WoW and EVE. The others that tried to do similar things are mostly b2p or f2p with OP cash shops now or just died out.

You dont get it, if I use my bought drones to take out a PVE site, raid it for the loot, maybe find a rare BP or get some resources. I can then use what I gained to build my PVP ship, thus giving me a PVP advantage. Everything you do in game can and will boil down to interactions with other players, weather it be PVP or market trading.  

MC, SE, and most of these other sandbox games are independent servers. You buy the game up front and thats it. The servers you play on are run by private groups who hoste and pay for the server. This leads to crapy servers or servers that put anything they can in the cash shop making it a P2W system.

WOW and EVE are unique yes, but you cant really claim any B2P or F2P game has done anything close to these 2 games. Everything else is small scale, with a population that rapidly dries up only leaving the hard core fans. And with those F2P cash shop systems come real problems. As much as I would love a free or buy once game on the scale DU is shooting for, I know it isnt possible. I would rather shell out a few bucks every month to get a good, continuously developed game. 

You dont get it, if I use my bought drones to take out a PVE site, raid it for the loot, maybe find a rare BP or get some resources. I can then use what I gained to build my PVP ship, thus giving me a PVP advantage. Everything you do in game can and will boil down to interactions with other players, weather it be PVP or market trading.  

MC, SE, and most of these other sandbox games are independent servers. You buy the game up front and thats it. The servers you play on are run by private groups who hoste and pay for the server. This leads to crapy servers or servers that put anything they can in the cash shop making it a P2W system.

WOW and EVE are unique yes, but you cant really claim any B2P or F2P game has done anything close to these 2 games. Everything else is small scale, with a population that rapidly dries up only leaving the hard core fans. And with those F2P cash shop systems come real problems. As much as I would love a free or buy once game on the scale DU is shooting for, I know it isnt possible. I would rather shell out a few bucks every month to get a good, continuously developed game. 

You don't have a PvP advantage as any other player could also get those drops it might take them more time however. Same with the market its not an advantage it gives you that you have to pay for in order to use it simply speeds up the processes.

MC has (bad) server cash shops sometimes but they are not really allowed and no SE server I have played on has had a cash shop yet. Also if you think the server is crappy find another server there are tons of them so you can't really say that the servers are crappy.

There are games that were on a similar scale to those two on world scale though I can't think of any names and While I can't say any other game that is out tries to do this or on the scale of DU (its space no other game not in space would ever reach this scale though maybe player count) Star Citizen (yes had to do it) is B2P and Planetside 2 is basically one of the largest shooter (talking about amount of players in an area in combat not total amount of players) and its F2P

Me feedback/suggestion:

After playing EVE Online so many years and hundreds of games in total, let me review how I see monetization in game that might or may not be used in this game. But let me start essay from little offtopic which is prohibited by forum rules but.. I have to :D

I saw game trailer on E3. I was so amazed seeing "space engingeers", "eve online" and RPG added to it. It's just dream come true to have first person eve with SE voxel based building. At this point i don't even care if it's buy2play, pay2play or whatever - you have me in. But that is how only quarter of all player will think. So how about everyone else?

First, the Free 2 Play model. Everyone in past few years expect every single game to be free2play because they either don't have money (minor) or already spent too much on other games and don't feel like spending more. It most of the time have players joining game daily but as you mentioned, community is pretty much immature or garbage (no offense). Haters, trolls, crybabies, griefers - we can make in game races/factions based of groups of players! Ofcourse there are normal players who just want to enjoy game but not pay for it.

ton of players

ton of feedback

basically TON (ton of nonsense)

Buy 2 play. Most "well made" games using this model. You spend once and if you don't like it.. oh well. You either want money back or start hating game because you couldn't get your money back or you just play it because you like it. This however, doesn't justify paying more for in-game content (first you pay for game so you can pay for pets or, in this case for drones. Still, it's most popular choice but least profitable - you either buy and play or don't. 

so there is either ton of player or not many.

depending on community size there is ton of feedback or none.

this is really risky model.

And finally Pay 2 Play. Eve online, wildstar few months ago and even wow recently allows you to play in-game money to keep subscription active. You still have trolls and grieferes because spending little money once comparing to lot of money once (buy2play) is better. Sadly, it ruins marketplace totally - you need money in-game? just pay2win or whatever. Well ofc someone have to build things for sale first but in few months after game launches it will not be a problem. This model encourages people to look for exploits that can give them free access to game and needs way more balance. After year or so, there will be 10% or more players who already have enough money to never pay again and game basically becomes free2play with BIG TEXT SAYING it is PAY TO PLAY, which in fact makes new players don't attepmt to play while old players don't even care about paying.

again, average number of players. Paying monthly for game is like cellphone plan - but you can stop playing whenever you want. Adults (probably most of this community) can afford to pay but there will be more minor players like in every single game.

Griefers and scammers - oh jita 4-4, im looking at you.

All models use cash shops anyway, no need to talk about it.

So what I am thinking is, pay2play model wins with an exception. If this "PLEX" or whatnameyouhave would be worth not common currency but some kind of mid-end game currency/tokens. With that, Larger corporations or rich players will still be able to buy subscription for in-game currency but at same time IRL rich people will not have much adventage in game from starting point. Or people who get anyone else's account (hack, data leak) would not be able to monetize their assets unless they are far in-game themselves and at same time would have something to lose if they attempt to grief.

For example, PLEX would be worth premium currency which you can spend on paint job, renaming and whatnot in in-game store. People far in tech would be able to manufacture those rare tokens allowing them to either buy subscription or cosmetics from in-game shop. There could be limit on how many token you can produce which could allow corporation to reimburse players or buy things from shop but not both - and maintenance/activity would be required (no passive infinite production).

Ofcourse that would require lot more game changing and balance but could be viable option for pay2play model.

Me feedback/suggestion:

So what I am thinking is, pay2play model wins with an exception. If this "PLEX" or whatnameyouhave would be worth not common currency but some kind of mid-end game currency/tokens. With that, Larger corporations or rich players will still be able to buy subscription for in-game currency but at same time IRL rich people will not have much adventage in game from starting point. Or people who get anyone else's account (hack, data leak) would not be able to monetize their assets unless they are far in-game themselves and at same time would have something to lose if they attempt to grief.

For example, PLEX would be worth premium currency which you can spend on paint job, renaming and whatnot in in-game store. People far in tech would be able to manufacture those rare tokens allowing them to either buy subscription or cosmetics from in-game shop. There could be limit on how many token you can produce which could allow corporation to reimburse players or buy things from shop but not both - and maintenance/activity would be required (no passive infinite production).

Ofcourse that would require lot more game changing and balance but could be viable option for pay2play model.

I'm going to say no to this, for a few reasons.

This sounds like a 'premium package' that i despise in games. You buy a plex and cash it in for premium currency and you can now get top end items that others struggle to or can't get as they are not as large or powerful. This could cause a upset to balance in the game.

This idea would give rise to unmanaged 'gold selling', if the plex idea doesn't affect all currency you might as well not have it as you will gain gold sellers selling the lower value currency outside the game allowing the IRL rich people to still have a advantage over other people but a larger advantage because not all people would have access to a trusted gold seller. I associate third party gold buying as cheating/hacking. I'd prefer the plex idea to cover all currency then DU/NQ can monitor it and adjust it as needed to make it fair.

Getting anything that normally can't be gained unless you buy/sell plex is bad bad bad idea. This would give a premium player base that has things other cannot get and I personally would hate this. I'm not paying more money than the general playerbase to get something that should be included in the game anyway and that other people have. I would understand this if the game was F2P or B2P but not P2P, if i'm paying a subscription monthly for a game i want to only be paying this subscription everything else should come with the game.

Plex in my mind should simply a way to combat gold sellers and that's it, if there is another option to combat gold sellers available i would prefer there to be no plex at all, same as there being no ingame store (unless it's purchasable by only ingame currency).

Side Note:

I think Organisations wouldn't really buy the plex unless there is a benefit to the overall organisation, which organisation would buy plex just for a single person in the organisation to have more game time. Organisation leaders could use this or abuse this i suppose but this will happen either way with or without your idea, just something i thought of.

nora,

p.s. writing this on my break so might make sense or it might not, but i had to be quick to i havn't re-read it at all :(

Buying a game for 60 USD and paying 10-15 a month is really cheap for the experience of a true quality game.

It's unfortunate that there are people that can't afford to play, kids, the poorest of people. The truth? those kids should be studying. Now I know there are actual and true peoples out there too poor to afford to play a game and that raises a few points from me. Don't spend your limited money on a gaming PC, and if you are that poor you don't have time to waste on a game you need to educate yourself and do something to improve your life if you can.

Then there are poor families like the one I came from. "We can't afford to get you a cell phone!" "We can't afford 15 dollars a month on a game!"

When they turn around and eat McDonalds and Pizza Hut 6 Nights a week, have no problem paying for Pay Per View shows like WWE specials, or paying 10 dollars per ticket and 6 dollars per popcorn 5 dollars per drink at the movie theater for ONE show 60 to 84$ for 2 - 3 hours on garbage entertainment.

I think everyone has lost their minds in the recent era. If you want to wreck all the fun of in game crafters, go ahead and release a cosmetics cash shop.

Instead of working in game to get cool attire in the game, you can work harder in real life and get it instantly with the push of a magic button.

A Cash Shop of any kind is a plague. The company always has to come up with a no refunds policy, the customer service becomes very rude and hardline, it does not make more content it makes exclusive content.

EVE online gets by releasing new expansions and content with only the subscriptions. However NQ could launch the game, charge full price and give a free month sub as always, making the Effective game cost 45$ down from 60$, and then release a 40$ expansion every six months to a year and include a month sub with it making the effective price just 25$.

You don't need the cash shop to tell you what kind of cosmetics to be developing, that's probably the worst way I can think of doing it. Make something and try to sell it and see which ones sell... Just ask players what they want. I can tell you now, if were all going to be in space suits forever players are gonna want stuff that looks like Tali from Mass Effect.

If you wan't to break up the feeling in the community and pressure people into buying cosmetic's put in the cash shop. I guarantee it will create a break in the immersion and disrupt the camaraderie of players and there will be nothing you can do about it because you made this underlying monster