NQ-Nyzaltar

DevBlog: Monetization, player happiness and economic viability

I am a strong beleiver that ORGS are the solution to this problem. Manpower will end up being the deciding factor when orgs begin to wage war on each other, the org with the most players always ends up with the most resources. As a result, there will be members in an org that are willing to either gift DAC's to fellow members that are big contributors, or put up org-only contracts that pay in DACs. I am one of these kinds of players (hence my plan for the Squires org to assist the Free Lancers, Alchemists, and Wayward ~my affiliate orgs). I don't intend to be a major player in org conflicts, but I juuust don't have a ton of time to gather resources for builds, and would gladly make exclusive contracts with org members to collect raw and refined materials for DACs. If I can keep a fellow org member playing with my contributions, great. If they can spend a couple of play sessions per month collecting resources for my builds, great.

If there are enough players like me out there (ruby level and expendable income but not a ton of free time) then there will be a lot of opportunity for players to play without paying.

The argument in the OP against B2P seems a bit flawed to me. I mean if the turn off is having to buy the full game to play, but you have to buy the full game in P2P as well.

Not necessarily, and certainly not in this case. You only have to pay the monthly subscription, there is no additional buy-in.

Not necessarily, and certainly not in this case. You only have to pay the monthly subscription, there is no additional buy-in.

True enough.

Guess maybe call it "Pay or Play to Play" or PP2P... or maybe not doesn't sound right when say the abbreviation lol

P2P is the way to go here for NQ, no other option viable. Deal with it already, either you want to play this game (then pay) or you don't (then grind in-game and buy DACs with in-game money). Or just back Ruby....plenty of options. But it won't be crap-f2p-model

First off there is no option viable only if they want to stay independent, which is toxic for quality when the budget is not there.

and secondly if you make everyone running away from this game, you will end up with a niche that will be forced to close soon.

We do have a genuine problem with several countries where the currency is so low it makes it hard to buy 18 EU a month. The Russian Ruble is 0.014 EU. Average in come is 36525 RUB/Month. Minimum wage is 6204 RUB/Month. $A126.67 a month. A fraction of what I earn and I'm under the Australian minimum wage. 

It's the same for many African, south american and Asian gamers. 

If however these Russian and third world gamers can earn their DAC there is a strong drive to monetise the DAC. It's a problem no one has solved. The free to play is not a solution to the income problems of low productivity societies and low capitalisation in some economies. 

I think its tricky.

Yes the costs of living and wages differ greatly from region to region. And I think most of us are for a fair system because the community will be global.

But (and this comparison has its flaws) we dont see ferrari for example lowering their prices so everybody has an equal opportunity buying their product.

I like for DU to be as inclusive as possible. Fair costs for everyone. But at some point a person just has to accept that he is not able to afford something.

F2p for example was not invented out of charity. Seems obvious but from reading some posts....

P2p is the way to go for DU. Either accept that and pay up or move on and cross your fingers it will turn f2p one day.

And again:

If you have RL problems/don't earn enough because of .... reasons.... then don't play a P2P game. It's no human right to do so.

BECAUSE

IF they would sell subscriptions/DACs for less in those countrys then it would be abused to oblivion

We do have a genuine problem with several countries where the currency is so low it makes it hard to buy 18 EU a month. The Russian Ruble is 0.014 EU. Average in come is 36525 RUB/Month. Minimum wage is 6204 RUB/Month. $A126.67 a month. A fraction of what I earn and I'm under the Australian minimum wage. 

It's the same for many African, south american and Asian gamers. 

If however these Russian and third world gamers can earn their DAC there is a strong drive to monetise the DAC. It's a problem no one has solved. The free to play is not a solution to the income problems of low productivity societies and low capitalisation in some economies. 

Don't know how did you count, but:

1. Sub is 10-13 EUR (depend of region).
  2. 1Eur = 71,94Rub / 10Eur = 719,40 Rub
  3. I believe after review of economic situations, there would be range of discounts (in 20-25%). So following example, sub price would be ~540Rub

As example, EVE Online subscribe in Russia is 559 Rub, while Europe is 14,95 Eur.

There are a lot of discussions on fan sites, but as other project shows ~500 Rub price is acceptable.

P.S: There is a problem to change any subscription. Kickstarter program already reward with payment methods. As example, lifetime subscribe. If pay model would be changed, how will NQ compensate? How to compensate all DACs? It is not 10'000 EUR project. There could be limited access for F2P in future, but it would be very limited, so player will need to sub or leave under the pressure.

Thanks,

Archonious

Don't know how did you count, but:

1. Sub is 10-13 EUR (depend of region).
  2. 1Eur = 71,94Rub / 10Eur = 719,40 Rub
  3. I believe after review of economic situations, there would be range of discounts (in 20-25%). So following example, sub price would be ~540Rub

As example, EVE Online subscribe in Russia is 559 Rub, while Europe is 14,95 Eur.

There are a lot of discussions on fan sites, but as other project shows ~500 Rub price is acceptable.

Thanks,

Archonious

depends what you take, EVE can also be only 10,95€ (12 months package), the more you take the cheaper

depends what you take, EVE can also be only 10,95€ (12 months package), the more you take the cheaper

Same would be with DU, it is already stated. But it change nothing in calculation. We have prices for 1 month sub, we compare them.

Thanks,

Archonious

I quote a good man here:

"Don't compare DU to your standard crap-korean-f2p-bullshit-game"

And we don't want to compare DU to a stillborn game in the future.

Out of curiosity, what is your goal on this forum?

Convince the devs to change their business plan?

Because that aint gonna happen.

I mean I would almost invite this guy to the Squires since paying seems like a problem, but I'm not sure if he's the kind of guy I wanna roll with.

Roll with an org, you'll be able to buy game subscriptions with in-game currency if you can earn it!

I mean I would almost invite this guy to the Squires since paying seems like a problem, but I'm not sure if he's the kind of guy I wanna roll with.

Roll with an org, you'll be able to buy game subscriptions with in-game currency if you can earn it!

You think he wouldn't play enough then?

I would really like to know how in average in a month we're ought to play to pay back the subscription... quite taboo one that one.

You think he wouldn't play enough then?

I would really like to know how in average in a month we're ought to play to pay back the subscription... quite taboo one that one.

Not sure what the market values for DAC's will be like after things settle a bit, but the goal would be for the Squire contracts to require enough ore or refined material that 1-2 play sessions would be enough to fill it.

I would probably conduct a few tests to see how much ore I can mine per hour. Once I figure out how much I can efficiently mine per hour (after I got a "good system" going), then I would set up a contract for whatever materials are needed by myself or my other org members and basically make the quantity equivalent to 3-8 hours of play time. I know that sounds like a wide range, but 8 hours is about a shift at a typical job. If players are willing to burn a Saturday gathering ore, I would be happy to send a DAC their way. If the market price of the ore I'm asking for is particularly high, or if it will be more economical for the player to sell the ore and use credits to buy a DAC from the open market, I would keep the Squire contracts competitive and ask for a smaller quantity (closer to 3 or 5 hours of mining).

I can't set anything in stone now not knowing how long any of these tasks will take. Since the Squires will work off of contracts though, it won't be a matter of whether or not I think they will play enough, it'll all boil down to whether or not they complete their contract.

Wich in essence is a great set up.

It will take some calculations but it wouldnt matter how long it took for the contract to complete.

Even if the player spends half a month to earn a DAC its still a fair deal.

Wich in essence is a great set up.

It will take some calculations but it wouldnt matter how long it took for the contract to complete.

Even if the player spends half a month to earn a DAC its still a fair deal.

The only way I'll ever want a player to spend half a month on a squire contract is if their play sessions are either very short, or if they are collecting the ore they need to fulfill the contract amidst other activities that they enjoy. The goal for the Squires is to get people who I think should be able to play the game for free a chance to do so, without disrupting the other fun parts of the game and without making it sorta like slavery. Hence testing to make sure that the contracts would take no more than a couple of long play sessions to fill.

Still I don't get how credits will be implemented in a game like that. Do we get those by evolving? By creating an org? By claiming territory? I mean you know before there was no money, it was just created but it took years to work out. So basically we can turn DACs into credits and credits into DACs (without variation of any of those currencies), and we should have all the same given credits at the beginning with a character by buying the game once (on each character created of course), and the others having loads of DACs will make grow the economy by investing on others for services and all... Seems possible, either way I don't see.