NQ-Nyzaltar

DevBlog: Monetization, player happiness and economic viability

Out of curiosity, what is your goal on this forum?

Convince the devs to change their business plan?

Because that aint gonna happen.

So their goal is to run into a wall ?

Because it won't collapse on them.

So their goal is to run into a wall ?

Because it won't collapse on them.

yes and you know that for certain, because you can see the future. You know because games with subscription models like Eve Online and World of warcraft did so poorly for so long before going belly-up.

~breaking news, this just in: they are the most successful MMO's to date. that's strange... our prophet said that the subscription model was doomed! DOOMED!

Don't make me bring the dead horse into here.

The only way I'll ever want a player to spend half a month on a squire contract is if their play sessions are either very short, or if they are collecting the ore they need to fulfill the contract amidst other activities that they enjoy. The goal for the Squires is to get people who I think should be able to play the game for free a chance to do so, without disrupting the other fun parts of the game and without making it sorta like slavery. Hence testing to make sure that the contracts would take no more than a couple of long play sessions to fill.

Oh yea I know what you mean.

I did check out your orgs...

And I think your idea is noble actually.

Its great you dont want people to be slaves of the DAC. But I'm just not sure if it will work out as you hope.

Because of past experience I expect these DAC to be expensive on the open market. And as far as I understood the squires isnt about charity.

But dont get me wrong, I fully support your initiative. ;)

yes and you know that for certain, because you can see the future. You know because games with subscription models like Eve Online and World of warcraft did so poorly for so long before going belly-up.

~breaking news, this just in: they are the most successful MMO's to date. that's strange... our prophet said that the subscription model was doomed! DOOMED!

Don't make me bring the dead horse into here.

This is still a dangerous gamble, and looking by the kickstarter semi-failure campaign it doesnt draw many ppls in

We do have a genuine problem with several countries where the currency is so low it makes it hard to buy 18 EU a month. The Russian Ruble is 0.014 EU. Average in come is 36525 RUB/Month. Minimum wage is 6204 RUB/Month. $A126.67 a month. A fraction of what I earn and I'm under the Australian minimum wage. 

It's the same for many African, south american and Asian gamers. 

If however these Russian and third world gamers can earn their DAC there is a strong drive to monetise the DAC. It's a problem no one has solved. The free to play is not a solution to the income problems of low productivity societies and low capitalisation in some economies. 

https://support.eveonline.com/hc/en-us/articles/203599091-Subscription-Costs

This is EVE's subscription plan. Convert the Russian monly subscription to Euro, you see it's half the european subscription.

I don't know how you got those numbers, but they are way way wrong good sir.

15 USD subscription plan, is converted to 19,5 AUD.

And given the main pricing starts is Euro, and the monthly sub is 13 EURO (18 is the DAC you can buy and sell in-game) it's actualy 19 AUD on a monthly sub.

If you were to buy an annual subscription plan, it would drop down to 10 Euro a month, which would be 14.65 AUD a month.

And the AUD prices are taken in, only if and ONLY IF, the Devs do not decide to get paid in AUD. If they have datacenters in australia, they will have to take payment in AUD, which would drop the pricing even MORE for australians.

Same would be with DU, it is already stated. But it change nothing in calculation. We have prices for 1 month sub, we compare them.

Thanks,

Archonious

You clearly do not know what it means to buy in bulk. Please, stop argueing economics.

i say f2p yea there will be players who will do stuff to get themselfs banned and make a new account but you will have more players in duel univerese that is all ways nice

Actually for a game like DU its really not worth it. Many people here will argue it is qaulity over qauntity.

And what would f2p bring to the table?

Nickel and dime tactics always reminding players every step of the way they need to pay to unlock the fun part. And its a common fact that most f2p players dont pay anything. Resulting in putting ever more increasing pressure on the people who do pay. Do we really want to see a game like DU with lockboxes?

In the end f2p is a very shortsighted business model. Instead of long term player retention they go for psychological manipulation to make the player pay as much as they can as fast as they can.

DU will be p2p. Pay once and then everything in the game is available to you. No pressure, just fun. If you are willing to pay for your entertainment then 15 euro each month is very cheap. Much cheaper then so called f2p.

MMO's do not fail because of the business model. That is just something upper management says to safe their asses.

If an mmo is good people will pay a sub.

i say f2p yea there will be players who will do stuff to get themselfs banned and make a new account but you will have more players in duel univerese that is all ways nice 

Yeah and creating a new account is just not worth it. You get banned, you lose everything, DU is really long to make your character grow, so troll players won't be seen a lot.

French 1st, english will follow

J'aimerais proposer un modèle.   Les membres paient un montants par mois pour jouer. Cependant, si le membre paye dison 100$, il peut jouer comme un buy to play. De cette façon, les gens n'auront pas a payer chaque mois s'il désir avoir le jeux complet.

I would like to propose a model. you can pay for each month like your model. but if you want you can also pay 100$ for the whole game no month payment.

I would like to propose a model. you can pay for each month like your model. but if you want you can also pay 100$ for the whole game no month payment.

That's not even a single year worth of subscription time.

You can pledge 480 € on their Kickstarter page to get a lifetime subscription right now.

French 1st, english will follow

J'aimerais proposer un modèle.   Les membres paient un montants par mois pour jouer. Cependant, si le membre paye dison 100$, il peut jouer comme un buy to play. De cette façon, les gens n'auront pas a payer chaque mois s'il désir avoir le jeux complet.

Je pense que c'était 400 euros en early mais maintenant c'est plus. Enfin moi je n'irais pas jusqu'à prendre le risque de payer autant. Aussi, si je voyais le futur je m'engagerais direct, autant là... Mais il y a possibilité de jouer assez pour s'acheter des tickets pour payer le mois, donc tu peux gagner assez de DACs pour t'arrêter même puis reprendre.

Maybe we could have an unlimited (both in time-period and features) free single player trial where you can become familiar with the different features in the game (like crafting and flying). Then, make the multiplayer version P2P. This will give people an incentive to start playing the game, and it will (hopefully) get them hooked. For me, timed trials and required payment up front have always been a turn-off. The multiplayer community will also benefit as a result. The people on the multiplayer server will already be familiar with the game, and they will be more invested in it.

Hi Guys,

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, 

Make it Pay 2 Play - monthly subscription and add ONLY Cosmetics shop PLEASE ... PLEASE PLEASE, DO NOT RUIN THE GAME by adding PLEX or tokens or WHATEVER.

This will ruin the whole experience if a Play/Guild invests TONS AND TONS of Real Cash to be good. Sooo MANY games have been ruined due to this. You will make more money if you add only Cosmetics in comparison to the PLEX system. 

Do not force us to buy ingame currency to be at the top , PLEASE ! . 

Listen to our feedback , NOBODY wants PLEX. 

I Really hope someone from the Devs team reads this. PLEASE DO NOT RUIN THIS BEAUTIFUL GAME SIMPLY BY ADDING IN-GAME CURRENCY. *prays to the chaos gods*

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Guys,

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, 

Make it Pay 2 Play - monthly subscription and add ONLY Cosmetics shop PLEASE ... PLEASE PLEASE, DO NOT RUIN THE GAME by adding PLEX or tokens or WHATEVER.

This will ruin the whole experience if a Play/Guild invests TONS AND TONS of Real Cash to be good. Sooo MANY games have been ruined due to this. You will make more money if you add only Cosmetics in comparison to the PLEX system. 

I Really hope someone from the Devs team reads this. PLEASE DO NOT RUIN THIS BEAUTIFUL GAME SIMPLY BY ADDING IN-GAME CURRENCY. *prays to the chaos gods*

You clearly don't understand the PLEX model, and why it is actually a benefit rather than a con.

Here, check this thread out - https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/9994-open-discussion-dac-being-lootableunlootable/page-1

Hi Guys,

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, 

Good sir, that's not how supply and demand works.

Throwing too much DAC into the market will only make the DAC itself worth less and less until the market rebounds from the overwhelming supply. Plus, we got to be real, the alternative to PLEX / DAC, are gold farmers and they are professionals at farming. At least DAC ensures that the people who are very active (which means they are the ones who are the best in the game's economy) are able to play for free, since they contribute the most. Let's be real, a guy playing 5 hours a week won't be the same guy that is the industrial tycoon in-game, nor will he be the leader of a mega-alliance. Those kind of positions require too much spare time.

An organisation dumping money into DAC, will not really get a leg above anyone else if they don't got the numbers to pull through.

Listen to our my feedback opinion, NOBODY  I don't  want PLEX. 

There, fixed that for you.

The game (or even the exact specifics) are not out yet so it is impossible to give feedback, only opinions.

And secondly, while there are some disagreements as to how exactly the system should be implemented, I'm pretty sure that a solid majority of the playerbase wants PLEX in some form or another.

I'm just catching up on topics of discussions as I just bought into this game.

F2P - way too many negative issues with that.

B2P - not totally fair to players.  They buy it, find out they don't like and are stuck with a game they don't like but spent money on it.

Here's my suggestion - make this a P2P game with monthly and bi-annually subscription.  New players can be given a 2-4 hour trial period so they can get a taste of the game and the possibilities they have within the game.  After the trial time, they either P2P to continue or lose everything they had.  Also they should not be allowed to trade anything within the trial period until they switch to P2P.  The small amount is good enough to wet a players appetite and hook them to the game but not long enough for players to harass and grief other players.  If you do a PLEX like thing, it should come from the players in game funds, not bought from other players (thus making them rich).  You wanna get rich, design and build something and sell it.  Make your wealth worth the hard work you put into it.

Just my 2 cents worth.