NQ-Nyzaltar

DevBlog: Builder gameplay, Voxel Tools & Elements

Loving the interactivity you project on builders and pvp'ers. Everything built having the ability to be sold and used is a win win situation.

The tools look promising as well, eager to get my hands on those when they are finished :)

For a sandbox to get beyond a gank box, which have short shelf lives, it's important to have as many non combat roles as combat roles. Glad to see a builder plan.

I hope you utilize a division of labor, it did wonders for Star Wars Galaxies. I also hope you find a way to balance PVE and PVPers. It seems like too many PVP games push things so heavily in the PVP direction that PVE players flee the game and we end up with stale PVP. 

ok i think the game must get 2 ,,ways,, of ships also PVE and PVP based ship designs.

pvp based ships or kits, can get special abilities for the pvp aspect of the game. pve is another gameplay because on pvp you play a littlebit more,,defensive,, then pve.

the question is what can the devs make for the balancing? the answer is a littlebit difficult to get. the armor will be the first one, but armor plates are a completely own point of interest. the next first will be the skill-system. 

many players like more pve hows pvp. this guys will mostly be in the secure sectors and solar-systems to make the missions and quests as co-op or everything. 

so we need endly special ,,bonusses,, for the pvp gamers and special ,,bonusses,, for the pve players. this can be skill abilities or things what they can build into the own ship to push a littlebit the likely ,,gametype,, for own. ;) 

ok i think the game must get 2 ,,ways,, of ships also PVE and PVP based ship designs.

pvp based ships or kits, can get special abilities for the pvp aspect of the game. pve is another gameplay because on pvp you play a littlebit more,,defensive,, then pve.

the question is what can the devs make for the balancing? the answer is a littlebit difficult to get. the armor will be the first one, but armor plates are a completely own point of interest. the next first will be the skill-system.

many players like more pve hows pvp. this guys will mostly be in the secure sectors and solar-systems to make the missions and quests as co-op or everything.

so we need endly special ,,bonusses,, for the pvp gamers and special ,,bonusses,, for the pve players. this can be skill abilities or things what they can build into the own ship to push a littlebit the likely ,,gametype,, for own. ;)

I'm not sure you grasp the full idea of DU.

If I wasnt on my phone I'd give you a better overview comment but I'll try and be quick, maybe I just misread but:

DU isn't a standard MMo with quests and missions, it is a sandbox that the player decides what to do. The only time you would get quests is from other players giving you something to do themselves. There will be no (that I know of) quests or missions design by the devs.

There is no PvE, in the sense that you can play the game without interacting with other players, everything will be PvP based as its a single shard universe and the only safe spaces where you cannot attack each other are inside arksites and the only known arksite is the arkship on Alioth the starter planet.

As for armour and ship design I have replied to a comment you made in another thread about ships. But you design the ship, if you want 6foot armour plating, build it. If you want 7000 turrets, build it. The ship design is your choice, we don't know of any restricting factors to ships size, element limits, voxel count ect as of yet, so any ship you can think to build with the parts available you can build. From a small single person fighter to a planet sized Goliath 250person crew ship.

Not sure of the rest of the comments you mentioned as I can't see them now on my phone, so if I remember I'll come back and add some more/ clarify points ect.

Hope I've helped.

Nora,

hi nora! 

yep thanks for your help! :) 

it is difficult to understand mechanics ect as a complete ,,newbie,, of DU, if you can´t see some gamplay things hows videos ect... before.

so you must understand, that every theme will be an option or part for discussion. if it released, the ideas what comes into game or not

is an other thing.

i rly don´t hope that my posts pushes confusions in the forum, thats not my primary. i will understand the mechanics and bring ideas into the community,

from the beginning.

if i read your post, so i rly hope that we get an weapon editor or generator too to design the own weapons for ships or handhold.

ill be very happy if it possible to integrade.

lg,

dead

Unfortunately it's been confirmed that there will 'not' be a weapon editor, and that elements will not be editable (thrusters, engines, power ect) as these are all elements in the game and not created by voxel and would cause to much of a overhead if everyone was to create there own things.

It will be constructs (things you build out of voxels) equipped with elements (predesigned objects by devs) to create ships and bases. You are only limited at the moment in what can be done by the elements the devs create and how we interact with them.

Elements are predesigned devs.

Constructs are player designed using voxels/elements.

Weapons, turrets, engines, power generators ect are all elements as far as I'm aware.

Nora,

Dead8eye. If you have not read the dev blogs. The give you a good sense of where the game is going.

As Nora said they have stated there will be no NPCs handing out missions and quest logs.

While they have stayed wildlife is planned we don't know to what extent. So there will be PVE in that sense but I'm not sure about PVE for ship combat.

With the mention or alien artifacts and suggestions of derelicts and ruins, I do hope we encounter some alien NPCs for ship combat.

Lore time \o/.

One of the arks AIs goes rogue. Kills the crew and begins building it's own AI/drone empire. They slowly spread across the galaxy destroying any lifeforems they find. Not far from our ark as explorers start venturing out we begin to encounter their small scouts and fighters. As we push closer to their home we encounter larger and larger Versailles the AI has created.

Unfortunately it's been confirmed that there will 'not' be a weapon editor, and that elements will not be editable (thrusters, engines, power ect) as these are all elements in the game and not created by voxel and would cause to much of a overhead if everyone was to create there own things.

It will be constructs (things you build out of voxels) equipped with elements (predesigned objects by devs) to create ships and bases. You are only limited at the moment in what can be done by the elements the devs create and how we interact with them.

Elements are predesigned devs.

Constructs are player designed using voxels/elements.

Weapons, turrets, engines, power generators ect are all elements as far as I'm aware.

Nora,

I'm hoping that we will eventually have the ability to change at least the primary color or tint on Elements.  Since everyone will be using the same Elements all over the place.

Probably not a priority early in development but i think it would really help a lot with blending Elements and Voxels together seamlessly into realistic looking ships and buildings.

I'm hoping that we will eventually have the ability to change at least the primary color or tint on Elements.  Since everyone will be using the same Elements all over the place.

Probably not a priority early in development but i think it would really help a lot with blending Elements and Voxels together seamlessly into realistic looking ships and buildings.

To be honest the visual editing of elements hasn't been mentioned only that you won't be able to create them and they will be predesigned by the devs. I agree that if you could say 'paint' the elements a 'material's' color it would be good, because like you say, they would blend in to the voxel around it.

nora,

The predefined elements allow NQ to provide balance within the game.

Let's break down that turret posted in twitter.

There's a couple of cannons

They're attached to a vertical motor

They're attached to a horizontal motor

And mounted on a pillar and wrapped nicely in a skin.

We know that we have a LOT more capability of modeling voxels via the voxel tools game blog. 

I'd like NQ to create the laser cannon "emitter". (essentially the functional cannon)

Then I could take that and skin it with my own skin.  Then do the same thing with the motors and come up with my own turret.  Or maybe mount my newly minted cannon on the wing of my ship.

Of course they shouldn't take it to the extreme of disassembling the entire laser, but the emitter still allows NQ to control the balance of the weapon, and I can make it look as cool as I like.

One Caviat:  This would be fine for a weapon on a ship...  but if our voxels are scaled to 25cm it wouldn't work for personal weapons.  Encasing a ship cannon "emitter" in voxels would require a minimum of a 75cm (30inches) cross section.  And that 75cm cross section is too large for most fighters as well.  Come to think of it, this is most likely WHY we cant model most weapons.

Now I've convinced myself to let NQ do the weapons  :D

The predefined elements allow NQ to provide balance within the game.

Let's break down that turret posted in twitter.

There's a couple of cannons

They're attached to a vertical motor

They're attached to a horizontal motor

And mounted on a pillar and wrapped nicely in a skin.

We know that we have a LOT more capability of modeling voxels via the voxel tools game blog. 

I'd like NQ to create the laser cannon "emitter". (essentially the functional cannon)

Then I could take that and skin it with my own skin.  Then do the same thing with the motors and come up with my own turret.  Or maybe mount my newly minted cannon on the wing of my ship.

Of course they shouldn't take it to the extreme of disassembling the entire laser, but the emitter still allows NQ to control the balance of the weapon, and I can make it look as cool as I like.

One Caviat:  This would be fine for a weapon on a ship...  but if our voxels are scaled to 25cm it wouldn't work for personal weapons.  Encasing a ship cannon "emitter" in voxels would require a minimum of a 75cm (30inches) cross section.  And that 75cm cross section is too large for most fighters as well.  Come to think of it, this is most likely WHY we cant model most weapons.

Now I've convinced myself to let NQ do the weapons  :D

I was thinking during reading that about the emitters that it wouldn't really balance the game and it would give a chance to 'glitch' the cannons out.

If you have just the emitter, what's stopping you from piling up 10 emitters ontop of each other closer than you should, or thrusters, or cockpits, or radars ect ect. Collapsing the size of the ship depending on how well you can plant the emitters around your ship.

Whereas if NQ does all the size and shapes of the elements then they can be balanced on more than just the output that they have, size, shape, collision ect ect. if you encase a emitter in voxels then how do you destroy it?.. kill the voxels first then the emitter?, create a separate construct for the emitter and have that have it's on physics/ logic ect?

I'm not massively bothered by NQ having all the control over the elements given that they give us enough elements to never go hungry. If we run out or don't have enough to start with or progress to, then it will affect game enjoyment. Why create a new ship if you only ever had 5 elements to play with ?

nora, 

Hey!

If you can stack 20 cannons on the front of your single seated fighter... More power to you..

You'll need it. :)

Never!.. I'll only need my hands (morpher) to take you down, you'll not even see me coming.

It's about the immersion also, not just the power behind it. You will see ships that are just emitters and power if you have just a small emitter to place and you have full use of the cannon behind the emitter.

I just think it's better to leave it to the devs for balancing and shaping. I have faith in the devs to not screw over people, but I don't share that same faith in many of the other people... We.... (notice i'm saying 'WE' here)... we will always look to cheat the system to get a leg up on the competition if we can... And no-one deny it, you know you would.. :)

nora,

Hey, it's only cheating if you get caught. And if it's allowed it's not cheating.

As much as Id love modular customizable systems I will survive as long as there's plenty of variability. Not just 1 or 2 components of each type. And they can always expand and add more later, maybe higher tech stuff.

I hope there are various size guns, small fighter to MASSIVE capital ship mounted ones. Or the ability to scale the component and have its stats scaled as well. I'd hate to make a 5km long ship and have to load it down with pea shooters to get any dps

Hey, it's only cheating if you get caught. And if it's allowed it's not cheating.

As much as Id love modular customizable systems I will survive as long as there's plenty of variability. Not just 1 or 2 components of each type. And they can always expand and add more later, maybe higher tech stuff.

I hope there are various size guns, small fighter to MASSIVE capital ship mounted ones. Or the ability to scale the component and have its stats scaled as well. I'd hate to make a 5km long ship and have to load it down with pea shooters to get any dps

Yes, there will be different sizes for each type of weapon turret :)

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

We talking 1 or 2 sizes or a plethora of different sizes? I really want to ask twenty more questions now, but i'll refrain as i know you can't divulge everything.. 

nora,

I hope it's not just 3-4 sizes. That may cover fighters to even battleships. But what about a 2km long capital ship. Sure I'll want small turrets to seat the flies. But I need something that can pack a punch to larger targets. Especially for my dreadnaught class.

I hope it's not just 3-4 sizes. That may cover fighters to even battleships. But what about a 2km long capital ship. Sure I'll want small turrets to seat the flies. But I need something that can pack a punch to larger targets. Especially for my dreadnaught class.

I think we should only get weapons like this if there is something to help smaller vessels against it, like a charging light or a notification or something, like when the death star shoots it prepares the green beams first before firing it's main cannon. Shooting something that can just wipe out smaller ships in one hit wouldn't be fun, if you can see it charging as a small ship you could avoid it, but as a larger capital ship or dreadnaught you wouldn't be able to move, but you could adjust shields to protect yourself more... 

nora,

Hey when my Thanatos was destroyed by a Titans DD weapon I got no warning.

As for smaller ships, it wouldn't matter. Youre tracking speed would be to slow for something like a frigate or cruiser. That's what the small railguns and flak cannons are for. It would be ment for other Capitol class ships or stations/cities. Unless the frigate pilot is dumb eneough to sit still in front of a barrel as big as him. Then he gets a Darwin award.

I think like in Eve small ships will always be effective for some roles, like webbing and targeted system attack. The big guns won't be able to track effectively. They will also be cheaper and more numerous. Where as the bigger ships will lean more towards heavily defended DPs machines.

Let the game balance itself out as people play, but since you're saying we can build as big as we like, give us the tools to do so.

I wish the devs would reconsider the PVP aspect of this game and only create areas of engagement where players could go and PVP until they explode and leave the rest of the universe PVE with the exception of pirates and marauders encounters (NPCs). Now if you find a pirate colony and you take over it and colonize it that will make you an active PVP player wherever you are that could be a compromise, but only those who are marked as PVP active can engage in PVP actions anywhere in the Universe, a type of activation beacon that makes you PVP active, this beacon can be enabled or disable with a prudential time of at least 5 minutes, also if you have your beacon on and you engage in battle you cannot deactivate your beacon and if you are loosing, run Forest RUN!!!

looks interesting but modular construction of ships, for instance, would be easier for the majority of builders. Some people might love to build something but have no drafting skills capable of using small shapes to form large objects. Sadly not everyone is a engineer.The video showed using a pre-made cockpit to form a fighter, that would be easier for many to use.

Welcome krm,

Don't worry a LOT of items will be premade "mesh elements" that you can assemble however you'd like. You will also be able to buy player made constructs.

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

Juicy :)

Do you know if there will there be any system for player designed/modified weaponry (ala from the depths)- or player-built turrets? It always irks me when voxel games have weapons - especially large weapons - that are simply animated models. The ability to design my own barbettes, or optimal weapon layout; or to have something as dynamic as having a traverse rotor jam, would be pretty cool.