Emotes: Sitting on chairs, leaning against a wall & more

Bella_Astrum

Call me simple but one of my favourite things in games is sitting my character on chairs/furniture. Landmark has a way of doing it that involves placing the character near an object and typing /sit. The character then sits down on the object.

In SWTOR it's similar but you type /chair. There is a chair that you simply click on and the character automatically sits down (in the player ships). That's probably my favourite approach.

I know it's not a priority, and would definitely expect it to be a last minute feature, but will there be sitting on chairs/furniture in DU? If so, what will the approach be, /emote or click? ^_^

I hope it's not too basic a question. I know I will have more useful ones closer to play testing.

Hehe I'm glad you agree. I just worry my questions at times are looking too closely at small things, rather than the bigger more important things.

But I always appreciate the little things, I'm a role player in some ways (mostly in my head) and things like sitting is a big plus for me, and as you say, which I hadn't considered, it does impact other things as well.

...like being able to sit on my throne as I oversee my Empire lol. Well not really...it'll be more like relaxing in a chair on a balcony somewhere enjoying the landscape, or sitting around tables!

I find that it's often the little things that can make or break a game. We spend far too much time worrying about big things like concepts and ideas, and definitely not enough worrying about the smaller things that would simply make life more pleasant.

As for thrones, I'll not need one. I'd prefer to spend my time working alongside my people  :D

Maybe players would be able to designate their creations as "sit-on-able" somehow, and perhaps with such things as thrones, only certain people have the right (the tag) to sit on certain things. Question remains of the natural world however. 

That would be a pretty cool idea! 

In the natural world a /sit emote that takes into consideration objects would be good, though no doubt much work to implement.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if anyone here played MU online? Really oldschool. 

They had this /lean and you would lean really cool against the walls of the buildings.

It was amazing ( and this is like a mmorpg from 15 years ago ). So you would walk in town and everyone would be hanging.

Haven't seen this since then. 

Like this 

http://0.s3.envato.com/files/59039690/DSC_8265.jpg

Now picture this pose without the dorkness; but in this cool badass armor. 

Hi Semigod, 

This is an interesting idea.

I will see with the dev in charge of animations if it's feasible in our voxel world (like having "wall detection" to trigger the animation) and in the case it is, if he has room for it on the roadmap. Thanks for the idea! :)

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see a mix of /sit emotes as well as a way to make an object (chair-either prop or voxel) clickable and have the character do a sit animation and sit on th chair.

?The reason I would like to see the ability to click on a chair and have the character sit is so the art department can position the character on the chair appropriately. I know its a small detail but I cant stand seeing a character sitting on the edge of a giant chair. One of the most immersion breaking aspects of building games is the failure to scale things appropriately. In Landmark I see people making counter tops that come up to players shoulders. Stuff like that drives me up a wall. The chairs I make in that game are famously liked and enjoyed because I design the chairs around the characters sitting animation. This way when someone sits, it actually looks like they are sitting.

I played a game once where you sat if you clicked a chair. On the converse, I've played one where you couldn't properly sit on chairs at all. The former is definitely worth the time to put in, the latter not so much.

I'm iffy on the leaning, simply because I wouldn't do something like that. But, given the general consensus that it's cool, I'm for it.

I played a game once where you sat if you clicked a chair. On the converse, I've played one where you couldn't properly sit on chairs at all. The former is definitely worth the time to put in, the latter not so much.

I'm iffy on the leaning, simply because I wouldn't do something like that. But, given the general consensus that it's cool, I'm for it.

Hehe I think leaning is up there with non-essential things, but good for roleplayers, people who like to pose, or feel immersed by their character via animations etc.

I think for me, anything that helps the character feel attached to the environment around them helps with my immersion and just brings a certain joy in seeing my character doing quirky things like that.

Hi everyone ! :)

(I edited the title to give some clarity on the global topic of this thread)

Just to keep you updated on the topic.

After talking to the dev in charge, making a /lean emote should be technically feasible in Dual Universe.

However, it doesn't mean it would be easy. If it can be done in a reasonable development time remains to be evaluated.

If the idea is validated, it will still be quite far in the roadmap. We plan to develop more classic emotes before, where the /sit emote will be included.

On that topic, we want to have your feedback on which emotes seem the most important to you.

Here are the ones we thought about:

(feel free to mention if you think some are not necessary or missing)

/wave (waving hand, civilian greeting)
/salute (o7, military greeting)
/sit (sitting on a chair)
/laugh (laughing)
/shout (shouting)
/point (pointing something/someone with a finger)
/rude (making a rude gesture)
/dance (dancing)
/sleep (lying on the ground)
/yes (nodding)
/no (head shaking)

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar

/bow (to bow before someone, like Japanese do)

/talk (talk to someone)

/conversation /convo (talk to someone in an infinite loop)

/Alienparagon (transform into a short but skinny big headed grey alien) :P

/eat (eat food)

/eating (eat food in an infinite loop)

/drink (drink something)

/drinking (drink something in an infinite loop)

/datapad (pulls out a data pad and reads it/interacts, like a tablet)

I would not expect these at launch, or ever...just throwing out some fun ideas.

Hi everyone ! :)

(I edited the title to give some clarity on the global topic of this thread)

Just to keep you updated on the topic.

After talking to the dev in charge, making a /lean emote should be technically feasible in Dual Universe.

However, it doesn't mean it would be easy. If it can be done in a reasonable development time remains to be evaluated.

If the idea is validated, it will still be quite far in the roadmap. We plan to develop more classic emotes before, where the /sit emote will be included.

On that topic, we want to have your feedback on which emotes seem the most important to you.

Here are the ones we thought about:

(feel free to mention if you think some are not necessary or missing)

/wave (waving hand, civilian greeting)
/salute (o7, military greeting)
/sit (sitting on a chair)
/laugh (laughing)
/shout (shouting)
/point (pointing something/someone with a finger)
/rude (making a rude gesture)
/dance (dancing)
/sleep (lying on the ground)
/yes (nodding)
/no (head shaking)

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar

Sounds cool, and also the title change makes sense because of the combination of topics for different emotes/animations.

I like all of the above emotes, I wonder if a /sit (on chair) and /sit (on ground) would be feasible for us lounge lizards that also like sitting on grass or other pretty places.

Some of my fav emotes from an older game I used to play: /flirt (flirtateous pose)  /faint (faint on the ground) and /kiss (blow a kiss)  :P It's surprising how many situations can warrant a /faint.

I'm one of those people who'd never say an emote isn't necessary, because I love emoting. 

Other potentials: /angry (shake fist)  /drunk (sway drunkenly) 

/bow (to bow before someone, like Japanese do)

/talk (talk to someone)

/conversation /convo (talk to someone in an infinite loop)

/Alienparagon (transform into a short but skinny big headed grey alien) :P

/eat (eat food)

/eating (eat food in an infinite loop)

/drink (drink something)

/drinking (drink something in an infinite loop)

/datapad (pulls out a data pad and reads it, like a tablet)

/Alienparagon ......interesting!  :ph34r:

I like the /datapad one. Techy emotes would be cool.

/laser (laser beam)

/scan (scan targeted item)

/confused (scratch head)

It'd be cool to have some emotes pertaining with shipboard stuff. The /datapad emote is one such thing in my mind, but we could also have things like /weld or /console to have characters act as if they're doing on the ship.

Just my two cents.

• 2 months later...

Some Ideas:

/tablet (or anything you see fitting): character interacts with a tablet he holds in his hand, clicking/swiping on it (this could also be used to show if a charackter is in a menu)

/fist: shakes your fist over your head to show your disaproval

/cheer: you cheer...

/salute 1+: there are many options like the typical flat hand at the head, or present your weapon, or standing still with your hands folded behind your back

/surrender 1/2: raise your hands opened with the inside facing forward or put hands folded at the back of your head

/cry: you cry...