When to form groups?

Hylios

A question mostly out of curiosity. When do you guys feel that it's appropriate to form groups, tribes, and nations?

I feel that it's never too early. I like to build my groups as soon as possible to get to know the people I'll be working with.

However, with the roughly 20 of us confirmed to be in the alpha right now, that practice probably isn't as imperative.

So, I ask all of you. When is a good idea to start forming groups?

No you're completely correct, it's never too early to begin planning. In fact, there are some who have already begun to do so, with some posts as well. Check in General Discussion and I think you'll find a couple if you want to take a look.

^ that the guys said before me... I've actually been planning and working in the possibility of creating some sort of group...

I might through in some info about it on the General Discussion board soon^tm.

but yer... never too early.

I don't think it's too early, I'm already eyeing up some minions for my Empire *insert creepy laugh*.

But on a more serious note, I've tended to join groups really early only to see those groups go different ways once a game launches. I like to see the lay of the land and get a gist of how things will be in game. I already know of at least one person I'll be tagging along with quite possibly ;)

I don't think it's too early, I'm already eyeing up some minions for my Empire *insert creepy laugh*.

But on a more serious note, I've tended to join groups really early only to see those groups go different ways once a game launches. I like to see the lay of the land and get a gist of how things will be in game. I already know of at least one person I'll be tagging along with quite possibly ;)

Ooh Ooh Pick me Miss Astrum, Pick me!

Oh my milady. Two Empires already. We have competition Saffi and Klatu! *hee hee*

I doubt I'll try to make any group in DU. I've always been a lone wolf, partnering up here and there if I or the both of us could benefit from it temporarily. I have every intention of being a pirate, and I don't plan to share my glory willingly.  :D

In opposite to the majority here i think its far to early to form groups^^

Without the game being in alpha you can't really grasp other players playstyle, ingame-behavior and real attitude towards pvp/pve, so i don't think its possible to form long lasting groups in this stage of the development.

I will probably try to establish my own "group" when i finished creating my machine god, it needs minions to support it with rare ressources for replication after all :D

In opposite to the majority here i think its far to early to form groups^^

Without the game being in alpha you can't really grasp other players playstyle, ingame-behavior and real attitude towards pvp/pve, so i don't think its possible to form long lasting groups in this stage of the development.

I will probably try to establish my own "group" when i finished creating my machine god, it needs minions to support it with rare ressources for replication after all :D

Most "pre-launch" communities created end up being a multi-gaming group which circumvents the issues you bring up in determining attitude and play style. What in fact kills most pre-launch groups are the players finding out the game isn't what they expected. 

But, it is possible to create gaming communities even now far in advance. I created one for Star Wars: The Old Republic two years before it's launch, and it is still kicking around as healthy as ever (Called Pax Republica). Just requires dedicated leadership and generating content for your member base to partake in and play with each other. 

RP groups have it even easier, as besides gaming, depending on what lore DU will have those groups can also create their own community based solely around RP. 

I wonder if sometimes games themselves help to create healthy groups. In Lotro I was in the same guild for my entire time. The game had the adoption mechanic that seemed to encourage group connections to feel like 'family' , which was certainly instrumental in me experiencing a fun, close-knit guild.

In Aion I experienced more politics, I joined a big guild only for it to break off after some officers fell out with the leadership to form their own. When I joined the new one that too devolved and broke off as well. It was generally a much more competitive, unstable experience. Mostly due to people wanting to be 'the best guild'.

GW2 I never settled into one guild. In fact I joined one in closed beta and by the time the game launched people started breaking away and doing their own thing. I think because of the ability to join multiple guilds in that game it didn't help to create loyalty or an affinity to one guild in some cases. I'd log into a guild and see guild members logged into their other guilds, which meant I saw a few small guilds die quickly, and big guilds felt impersonal.

I really like the security of a strong, friendly and loyal guild like the one in Lotro.

I stopped GW2 just before they introduced guild housing precisely because I couldnt find a guild I felt at home in, and like most games, when you try to return you feel lost due to so many changes in that time.

I'd also left Aion just before housing kicked in because of the collapse of yet another PvP guild. Player housing is an aspect I like a lot. And as first officer in my Lotro guild I made it priority for us to obtain our guild house for meetings and gatherings for everyone. So we had a joint home.

I really like housing and guild housing. It's one of the reasons I'm currently having a blast in SWTOR right now and decorating my stronghold there.

My personal experience is that if the leader is all encompassing and embracing of members it's halfway there to a bonded guild. And that RP guilds tend to be more fun. PvP guilds more prone to in-fighting. Small PvE guilds more tight-knit. That's just my experience over the years.

My personal experience is that if the leader is all encompassing and embracing of members it's halfway there to a bonded guild. And that RP guilds tend to be more fun. PvP guilds more prone to in-fighting. Small PvE guilds more tight-knit. That's just my experience over the years.

Hit the nail right on the head.

I'm actually playing Guild Wars 2 right now, and put Eve Online aside for a bit. Hah! Been running solo for a while and have been thoroughly enjoying it, and joining random groups for the end-game stuff. I'm really liking their system to just drop in and out of groups on the fly while you're running around.

Hit the nail right on the head.

I'm actually playing Guild Wars 2 right now, and put Eve Online aside for a bit. Hah! Been running solo for a while and have been thoroughly enjoying it, and joining random groups for the end-game stuff. I'm really liking their system to just drop in and out of groups on the fly while you're running around.

Yeah that was a great draw for me as well, the freedom to just jump in with the masses. That's an aspect I really enjoyed. I hit a bump with dungeons because I'm one of those people who doesn't like pug groups. I really enjoy dungeons with people I'm familiar with, and never really like the unpredictable aspect of running with pug groups, especially if you get someone who is easily rattled and becomes irate, but it's definitely nice in GW2 to run around as a free agent if you want to be. 

I generally go the lone wolf route in MMO's. I like to gear my characters out and learn them thoroughly and then build a name for myself as kind of a mercenary. I don't care for the 'job' aspect of some larger guilds. 

Likewise, fortunately GW2 supports that style of gem play. In most cases, to reach the higher tier end-game stuff it's far easier to join a guild. They tend to be territorial if you aren't in their guild and trying to run a raid etc with them.