Dreamstar

Hello, I think I see a kind of rift in opinion forming, around first and third person, and it might be good to talk out some ideas to heave solutions ready.

As the game is intended for a largely first person perspective and most peoples seem to be in favor of such, and against magical third person view, I can envision several possibilities.

-Equipment module, launching a small drone that flies behind you giving you a typical third person view.

- A support class or skillset, based around controlling drones.

Primary use would be to give allies a eye in the sky view that they could switch between from their first person to the drones camera.

Difficulty would be around trying to keep your player body safe on the ground, while switching between a drone control interface and issuing movement, attack, and defend commands.

•  scout enemies, reveal them to your teams Friend or Foe hud
  • drop smoke grenades, HE rockets
  • different loadouts, electronic warfare offensive / defensive, armor piercing rockets.

- Certain Heavy armor, if it doesn't move fast for some reason, it could compensate some by having a small drone launch from its back or armor and let it see its surroundings a bit better.

and of course I'd love to hear what you all think, not just about what I said, but what you would do; thank you.

immersive RP is good and nice, but it shouldn't impact basic game mechanics like camera control. I see no need to find an lore friendly explanation for being able to use 1st person and 3rd person views and especially none for a mandatory skillset if someone wants to use 3rd person.

I am an avid fan of 3rd person games. In wow, I would easily zoom out 50 yards plus to see the entire playing field in pvp. That is a fundamental issue with 3rd  and 1st person games in regards to pvp, you really cant have both and be fair to the 1st person player. If 3rd person camera zoom is limited to just a few feet behind the player it will close the 'fairness' gap, but if the third person player can zoom out far it gives them an unfair advantage. 

We also have to consider camera clipping. In first person mode, constructs can be built to scale of the characters. In 3rd person mode the issue is the camera will clip when you have low hanging ceilings. This is why other voxel games have you build their stuff with a minimum of 30 voxel tall ceilings. In a game like duel where physics and weight will affect your constructs, its easy to see how keeping a ship smaller and lighter can have benefits in some cases. Small ships will only be viable in 1st person as a gain 3rd person allows for camera issues .

As much as I love third person, I can see the benefits of limiting the game to first person, at the very minimum when in combat. Maybe allow 3rd when the character is stationary and you want to see them, look around etc but in combat you should be forced into first. Even then this would give someone an unfair advantage in seeing a larger playing field. 

Its really hard to say at this point because none of us have seen how the game plays out.

Another thing that can happen is that if you are in 3rd person, There would be a physical drone where that camera is. The advantage of having it would be increased viewing range, disadvantage is it'll give away your position and it is destructible. 

I think I'd have to second Kiklix and vylqun on a few points. Defaulting to first person cuts out a whole denomination of players who would much rather have a 3rd person option, one that isn't temporary or need any tool or can be destroyed - unless it is in combat, in which case, yes, a drone or first-person only would be the fairest way to go.

Otherwise, during normal gameplay, I see no reason to restrict 3rd person views. It'd be helpful to have a wider FOV when building, for example.

Thoughts? It's a fine line between immersion and practicality.

In building I'd prefer to see the camera detached entirely from the character for ease of movement and a much wider FOV. If anyone's built in any of The Sims games you know what I mean by that.

I can see situations where 3rd person is handy, but I'm looking forward excitedly to see what Dual Universe has done with 1st person. It's been a long time coming where I've wanted to play an online game that engages me and is in 1st person.

Hello,

My opinion:

• First and third person view are ok in most situations as long as you can't zoom out like Kiklix said. So I would allow both and let the player changes it softly with, maybe, a shortcut.
  • For building large concepts, it a bit more complicated. I would be tempt to allow a much wider view... but this may leads to complexe abuses.
  • @Saffi, I like your idea of building small remote controlled drones. There are similar "drones" in Space Engineers and they are very useful. So, for large building, you could just build a small drone, put it in the air in a static position, and look through it when you need.
  • Also, thses drones will be strong tactical tools, being able to monitor key locations or used as scouts.
  • As they will probably still be easy to destroy and not so cheap (they at least requires engines, camera, telecom, etc. in a small hull), they should remain balanced.

Regards,

Shadow