Saffi, Hello!

Dreamstar

Hello, I began on the forums a ways back and I had my eye on the development of this game since the very beginning.

I had seen the original website before the posting forum was opened there, I only happened to search for the game again to see if any progress had been made after those original posts had been done away with and everything moved over to these newer forums.

I had a long pause recently where I haven't had much to say, but allot has been happening to me. A few months ago I signed on to a lease to own program for my own semi and that has been pretty cool.

Unfortunately my dear Father passed away on 12/22/15 and I have been struggling to deal with that. I was close to him, and he had been warming up to my younger brother recently he left everyone on fairly good terms. Its too bad he ran out of time and couldn't divorce his second wife before his passing though I'm not sure if he had been serious about that or not, I never understood how he could love a gold digger. He was very proud of both his son's, a responsible man who always went to work and gave proper notice otherwise. He was wild in his younger days and caused much friction with his first wife my mother, though she held no grudge nor did he, he will be missed by those who truly loved him. Nobody expected his death, he was alone in the house, and had complained about some chest pain to his second wife took 2 aspirin and went to sleep, he died peacefully without struggle; may he rest in peace now.

I am a gamer, though I've been losing faith in the gaming industry to produce anymore quality games, it seems projects are so big now the only things that can be financed are games with tons of DLC and garbage. There is a beacon of hope in gaming such as teams like Novaquark and probably other small development studios I am not aware of.

I appreciate being called out for the early alpha testers, I will continue to represent the largest portion of gamers possible, while nullifying certain aspects that sound fun but actually harm games and make them unmemorable.

I have drafted a few possible government forms that could be used in the game, but I have to accept that even though I am still young, I am not as free as some people and therfor am not going to be able to be a single dictator of a guild and strongman support from many people - such guilds are short lived anyways once the guild leader 'dies' and everyone splits up into other guilds.

No, instead I'd like to suggest the creation of an Imperial Senate, and confederate many guilds towards the singular Imperial goals. be we good or bad, or an ambiguous and ambivalent force in the Dual Universe, universe, we would vie to expand conquer, exploit, train and recruit newbies and more.

I may post some more on myself here if I think of something.

I think I have private messages enabled, if you are politically inclined and want to talk a bit about guilds send me a message and we can always trade outside contact information if need be.

Thanks for reading about me, spend all the time you can with your loved ones and try to be on good terms with them because you never know.

Yeah possibly, it looks like the tools provided will be quite malleable.

Either way if we can have voting built in or just adhere to a list of rules.

My original wish was for something kinda like the holy roman empire, but Im not so sure how feasible, or fun that is

I think there are many ways it could be done, more than im even listing here.

possibly the senate would elect Emperors, to rule for a few months at a time.

The senate might consist of a set number of elected representatives from member guilds, and elect 'puppet' emperors with no real power. and the senators would lead the empire.

Id prefer a more fascist feel than a purely democratic one, im sure there will eventually be clans or guilds that cater to some kind of democratic ideas with presidents.

Also if were talking star wars, the Senate did continue on under Emperor Palpatine for a while, but their power was eventually stripped and I believe it was finally disbanded. The very senate that issued in emergency powers to deal with the CSA - I believe it was similar to the way Hitler came to power, be elected chancellor, whittle down the powers of other agencies, and finally coup the gov from within essentially.

Personally I dont trust any one particular individual with that much power, for some reason it always goes to their head, Im fairly clear minded but once you start throwing in internal drama I too can crack, therefor Im no exception.

I wouldn't think too critically about it for now. 

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid (Not a jab at you, just a saying)

As much as I would like to keep from drawing comparisons between this and other games, I always keep referencing Eve Online. It's also fair to point out that many on the Novaquark team apparently play Eve Online, and I already see influences of it here with what little we know.

Eve has a a very robust system in place for running player made organizations. Corporations up to Alliances, and so on and so forth. And I can tell you, in my many years of playing Eve, and based off of my own real world experience in the military, a democracy will never work in a game. Ever. I explain why in one of my blog posts.

Anyways, it's too soon to even speculate on this stuff right now with what little we know. Brainstorm by all means, but don't get crazy with it! 

Thank you, and no offense taken

Indeed, I come off as overly excited, but I just wanna talk about it really.

I think it would be a shame not to attempt and use the power delegation system's and other utilities they're developing for players, of course though until the team is ready to show us what they have in mind, for implementation into the game, we can only really speculate on the possibilities.

It's true corporations in eve behave differently than guilds in other games. they seem to be ruled by dictators and dynasties largely, while i have encountered small democratic groups, it is the rare exception.

I like Eve and think it's corporations are pretty good, but I never really felt apart of the system, it was better than other guild systems for sure, but it still felt really rigid as most systems do.

I think we will be able to form a governing body in D.U and at least elect a president/dictator with term limits, based on an inalienable constitution set in place by either the 'guild' founders or alterable under certain conditions of unanimous agreement by delegates or guild members

Ill heave to re-examine the RDMS post and other things from the gameplay mechanics assembly section and post in one of the guild topics or make a new thread i suppose.

@ Saffi:

All our condolences for your loss :(

To answer to your questions, there will be indeed a name for the game account, and a name for each of your characters. For security reasons, it might be impossible to have the same name for the account and for one of your characters. We can't tell you yet what will be the limitations in terms of character naming freedom. But if we can go with one surname (or even two) and a family name for each character, that would be ideal indeed. I'm adding this to the list as an official suggestion, to avoid seeing that forgotten along the roadmap.

Making an Imperial Senate will be possible, as long as enough players are interested to make it real. We will provide the tools to build it through the organisation system but it will be up to the players to design the rules running in this political organization.

@Ellegos:

Nice blog post!

Indeed dictatorships in games where PvP has a deep impact on the world/universe (changing frontiers, controlling territories, changing the landscape, etc) seem to be the political system the most widely used. But we want to let players complete freedom about choosing, building and/or improving the political system they want. And who knows? Maybe someone will invent some sort of democracy efficient even in time of (virtual) war?...

Hello Saffi,

I'm interested in the implementation of "Imperial Senate". For me, this name could lead to a lot of different interpretations. But, at least, it sounds cool.

@Ellegos, sorry, I have not had the time to read your blog yet, but there are groups in EvE where leaders are elected and they are working.

I think, you need to have someone in command in order to take fast decision, but you also need to prevent them from becoming dictators. They must work for the group.

Thus, I like the idea of an elected emperor for a set period of time and, if members are not happy with them, he gets pushed out.

Also, especially in EvE, lots of powers are delegated. Having military and diplomacy director is common for example.

Regards,

Shadow

Salutations Shadow, yes the hope of several members and myself is that we establish a powerful alliance with which to maintain order in the universe and rain light down upon the barbaric fledgling societies.

What we will have in historical terms is something of a Noble Republic, or Elective Monarchy. I think the ruling class will largely comprise of 'Nobles'

I've been trying to consider the role and management of nobles, I think it will require some kind of secret Inquisitor council to route out Nobles which are against the empire.

Ill have to double post, or edit the topic Imperial Foundations, to include the concept of them

here - https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/347-imperial-foundations/

Being a Politician / Senator, and an Imperial Knight is how id love to play I geuss Ill have to see what or if they have skill trees to see if I will be able to be both a combatant and some kind of guild alliance leader.