How much Hype! did YOU experience?

Silvligh

Just a fun little thing.

When I first saw this game, I was interested in the concept work, I saw it on one of my MMO places I go to.

When it said space sim, I decided to check it out.

Read what the game was about on the website... VERY INTERESTED AT THIS POINT!

Then I read the devblog, the first title made me *pretty much* faint in astonishment. (It was LUA Scripting) OOOOOMMMMMMGGGGGG

I started enthusiastically reading into this, before going "Na, na, na. I got to see this from the start"

Read the whole devblog, the Lore I absolutely LURRRRRRVED! And everything just worked for me. The social aspect, the looming overhead of possibly founding the first laws, federations, societies! It was glorious, I stayed in this state for about 3 days before I came down from the excitement.

I then realised I had family, and threw my brother at this website. He had a similar response as mine and we (I swear) probably looked like a bunch of fangirls over One Direction or something.

So everyone.

How Hyped were you when you read about this?

(On an offnote, Nyzaltar, this is a casual post. I want a person responding, not the moderator(No need to be so formal lol))

the beginning was the same like yours, i googled space MMO and found a compilation which included this one. then i checked this website out and found it to be appealing due to the fact that it has a voxel based build engine and beautiful graphics both at once. then i read they aim for maximum player freedom, and i thought this must be the game i waited for. then i read it will be oculus compatible and that sealed the deal for me.

i am a former player of SoH so thats why i like the aspects of this game.

the beginning was the same like yours, i googled space MMO and found a compilation which included this one. then i checked this website out and found it to be appealing due to the fact that it has a voxel based build engine and beautiful graphics both at once. then i read they aim for maximum player freedom, and i thought this must be the game i waited for. then i read it will be oculus compatible and that sealed the deal for me.

i am a former player of SoH so thats why i like the aspects of this game.

I'm glad that you love the game as much as I do!!

Or what I've seen of it anyway.

Not entirely sure how I came across DU, but I did, and at first I thought it was just like any other space MMO, something like SWTOR or maybe Elite Dangerous. I was like meh and moved on. Later on it popped up in my search suggestions and I gave it another look, read through the devblogs, looked through the graphics and concept art, and I was like, this is something different. Checked out the forums, met quite a few interesting personalities/fanatics, joined the forums myself, and so here I am now happily part of the Dual family :)

Cheers to NQ and the DU community :D

Not entirely sure how I came across DU, but I did, and at first I thought it was just like any other space MMO, something like SWTOR or maybe Elite Dangerous. I was like meh and moved on. Later on it popped up in my search suggestions and I gave it another look, read through the devblogs, looked through the graphics and concept art, and I was like, this is something different. Checked out the forums, met quite a few interesting personalities/fanatics, joined the forums myself, and so here I am now happily part of the Dual family :)

Cheers to NQ and the DU community :D

And cheers to you to being an active community member!

Hype! Hype! Hype!

I was searching for a new game to play. Something spacey and sandboxey. I started looking for single shard MMO and came across DU. I started reading the devblog, I think the first one I read was about the resurrection nodes and the part they are likely to play as war targets. I was hooked, couldn't stop until I'd read every word and clicked every link. It took a while for me to calm myself down and remember it is pre-alpha, years from release.

Soon after the forum went up and the rest is history.

I was searching for a new game to play. Something spacey and sandboxey. I started looking for single shard MMO and came across DU. I started reading the devblog, I think the first one I read was about the resurrection nodes and the part they are likely to play as war targets. I was hooked, couldn't stop until I'd read every word and clicked every link. It took a while for me to calm myself down and remember it is pre-alpha, years from release.

Soon after the forum went up and the rest is history.

Haha, I got hooked after reading that one too. That was a good one. CANNOT STOP READIN!!!

I wonder when Nyzaltar will respond to any of this. I hope the devs see that they have a strong(in voice) fanbase!

Hello there,

Nyzaltar may have an unofficial account arround here, who knows ? :)

Regards,

Shadow

WHAT, NO WAY. I never thought of that before. I'd be willing to speculate that you may be Nyzaltar in disguise hmmm? with your Regards and all that that Nyzaltar loves to 1-up you on "Best Regards"

WHAT, NO WAY. I never thought of that before. I'd be willing to speculate that you may be Nyzaltar in disguise hmmm? with your Regards and all that that Nyzaltar loves to 1-up you on "Best Regards"

Hmm interesting. Along with that, you find that Shadow is French as well and a developer on top of that. If you were to examine speech structure of previous posts, you find syntax and vocabulary to be very similar to that of Nyz's. Nyzaltar mentioned in the "Capsuleer" thread that he is an EVE player, one of which Shadow is as well.

Ready to come out Shadow? XD

Of course I could be completely off and embarass myself entirely XD

Hello,

Nop, I'm not Nyzaltar.

That would be too obvious.

If you want evidence of it, check the Territorial control subjet where I gave my opinion on the subject.

Nyzaltar can do it directly to the devs.

Also, registration dates are clearly not the same.

And no, I'm not a developer irl. even if I like to program things (I'm a pentester).

Regards,

Shadow

Hi everyone,

I respected Silvligh wish (until now) to avoid participating in this topic.
But it seemed important to clear any possible confusion: I confirm that Shadow is not me.

I have, of course, another profile than Nyzaltar as a gamer. 

But I won't use it to post on this forum (unless I state clearly it's my gamer profile) for ethic reasons:

- If I want to discuss with any member of the community I can already do that with my official profile Nyzaltar.

- Using another account could be perceived as an attempt to deceive members of the community and I definitely don't want to risk any misinterpretation or loss of trust, as it's completely contradictory with the job of community manager. I know some CMs who played with this kind of things, and it has always, sooner or later, backfired painfully.

To put it simply, I have no good reason to use another account to communicate with everyone on a Dual Universe topic  :P

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

Oh noes Nyzaltar!!

I wanted your thoughts here!

I just didn't want you to be so damn formal all the time.

Perhaps include a disclaimer in personal posts that thus does not reflect the views and yada yada yada.

I'm sorry for the misinterpretation.

I thought this would be fun.

No worry Silvligh.
Misinterpretation happens, and it's not a big deal here :)

Well... my thoughts can't be seen as an objective point of view as I'm a member of the team.

The only thing I could say is: if I'm part of this adventure, it's pretty much because I have felt many similar things you have described (not just you but other members too) on the forum since its opening. The Dev Team have made some impressive progress in the last months, and it sometimes hard to resist sharing some news the community, even when it's clearly "not yet ready for communication" ;)

And what do you mean about me being too formal ? It seemed to me I was already way less formal than many CMs on big IPs  :o

Is this because I always end my replies by "Best Regards" ?

And what do you mean about me being too formal ? It seemed to me I was already way less formal than many CMs on big IPs  :o

Is this because I always end my replies by "Best Regards" ?

As far as I know (I checked with my brother who is a streamer for GW2 and so often meet their CM), you're not too formal on the forums.

Remember that forums are the first contact for new players. So, even if we begin to know Nyzaltar, it's not the case of a random anonymous reader.

Nyzaltar is certainly less formal in private or during IRL events.

Regards,

Shadow

I think Nyzaltar is a warm and friendly presence. Some community managers try too hard. Nyzaltar is cool :) He relays information well and seems down-to-earth. He strikes me as approachable and that's super important to me.

Back to the topic at hand I was told about the game by Kiklix. Could barely believe what I was reading. This game sounds phenomenal to me. Right down from the quality of the art and blog information, the details and features. I'm hyped that's for sure.

I had a friend in another voxel building game tell me about Dual Universe around July 2014. He quit the game we played a couple weeks later. He only mentioned that DU was a voxel building game with the ability to make vehicles roll, fly etc. That itself was enough to get me excited, but as time went on and I read/reread the Dev Blogs I got and get more and more excited. 

The ability to make our own world, structures, governments, spaceships itself seems very appealing although for myself I would be happy enough designing spaceships that not only look good, but function well. I dont just want a pretty ship, I want to design ships with purpose, utility...ships to be admired. I do not subscribe to the idea that a "good design" just means pretty...that is all to common with people. A good design is one where form follows function, but the form is aesthetically pleasing. I want to see if this is something I can accomplish. 

The game seems vast, deep, serious (this is something I really admire...a serious game, not goofy stuff). I know it will take time to get it all there and that the DU project will probably never be 'complete' but just being able to craft good looking ships that function well....man for me, that is what dreams are made of.

I would like to see a player 'store' where we can make construct blueprints that can be sold for real money. It would help push people to make cool, functional stuff and it would help create some revenue for NovaQuark. 

I have and continue to have maximum anticipation, i was elated for a long time.

The sound of someone making a modern game that doesnt suck really gives a bit of hope. of course there is still much for me to see to be a fanboy of this game, primarily the character models I would like to be good looking, its an area that some games fall short. Mostly though I enjoy dressing characters to be cute, I geuss Im just a 'weeb' or something, so sue me.

I dropped off the forums for a while, I felt like maybe I was trying to steer things a certain direction a bit too hard and so I wanted to see how things would pan out with little or no input from me.

The amount of registered members continues to grow as word slowly spreads out over the net and amongst family with luck and the community encouraging the team I think great things are ahead.

I had a friend in another voxel building game tell me about Dual Universe around July 2014. He quit the game we played a couple weeks later. He only mentioned that DU was a voxel building game with the ability to make vehicles roll, fly etc. That itself was enough to get me excited, but as time went on and I read/reread the Dev Blogs I got and get more and more excited. 

The ability to make our own world, structures, governments, spaceships itself seems very appealing although for myself I would be happy enough designing spaceships that not only look good, but function well. I dont just want a pretty ship, I want to design ships with purpose, utility...ships to be admired. I do not subscribe to the idea that a "good design" just means pretty...that is all to common with people. A good design is one where form follows function, but the form is aesthetically pleasing. I want to see if this is something I can accomplish. 

The game seems vast, deep, serious (this is something I really admire...a serious game, not goofy stuff). I know it will take time to get it all there and that the DU project will probably never be 'complete' but just being able to craft good looking ships that function well....man for me, that is what dreams are made of.

I would like to see a player 'store' where we can make construct blueprints that can be sold for real money. It would help push people to make cool, functional stuff and it would help create some revenue for NovaQuark. 

About your point on the "player store". If I'm correct in assuming you mean players creating in-game designs/blueprints and then NQ selling them for a real world currency profit for other players to buy, would the player who also created said design/blueprint receive any income?

It sounds like a system implemented by a game like Second Life, and one other Sci Fi game I can't recall right now. So the system obviously works, but personally I'm not too big a fan of it.

I'm all for an in-game market, but the currency in which to buy them with should stay strictly in-game. 

Hate to derail the topic, but I just had to comment on Kiklix's thing. :D

- The Scruffy Pirate

About your point on the "player store". If I'm correct in assuming you mean players creating in-game designs/blueprints and then NQ selling them for a real world currency profit for other players to buy, would the player who also created said design/blueprint receive any income?

It sounds like a system implemented by a game like Second Life, and one other Sci Fi game I can't recall right now. So the system obviously works, but personally I'm not too big a fan of it.

I'm all for an in-game market, but the currency in which to buy them with should stay strictly in-game. 

- The Scruffy Pirate

On player income for player-created content:

Well naturally, yes. Take a look at the Steam Workshop. Creators are able to set price points for mods and such, or offer them for free. This model is seen in multiple other games: Tennogen in Warframe, the Robot store in Robocraft, etc.

I don't see why DU wouldn't do the same.

- The Scruffy Pirate

I am not really opposed to either direction. In game currency or making money irl or both, but the upside to selling blueprints (or schematics or whatever they are ultimately called by NovaQuark) for real money is that NovaQuark makes money on the transaction. If blueprints are only sold in game on an auction house or at your own market stall in your city for in game currency, then NovaQuark makes no real money on the transaction. There needs to be a steady constant supply or stream of cashflow for NovaQuark. Of course I dont want to see the game become play to win but at the same time if someone makes a stellar design that works well in combat or its intended function, there is no reason they should not reap a very strong reward from it. If it feels too much pay to win, then others in the market should step up with their own designs that function well. 

We dont know how the game will be paid for right now. B2P, subscription (I personally hope for a subscription), cash shop or combo of all. My initial idea was intended to help with a cash stream for NovaQuark. If this game is as fun as it sounds, I would like to see them make the money to continue development on patches or expansion packs or whatever.  I can seriously see this becoming a game that is played for easily 10 years.