Dual Universe Lore (Part 5)

NQ-Nyzaltar

(Posted Friday 28th of August 2015 on the DevBlog)

arkship-new-version-small.jpg

One month later

Everywhere Alioth grows populated. Cities and villages are born on the whole inhabitable surface. The first guerillas were born, the first battles. The first madmen greedy for power and resources established their little empires, enslaved villages, attacked isolated communities with their ships to raid them for raw materials, energy and constructs. A resistance is organized, but it is weak. As for me, I already want to leave and explore other planets, other horizons. With the five loyal pioneers who have become my friends, we were finishing our ship when I went out alone to explore a swampy area outside the circle controlled by the Novark.

I knew I was taking a big risk, but we needed a very effective superfuel found nowhere but in this type of viscous yellow swamp that can be emptied with one shot from the morpher.

And there, I discovered something unimaginable... In setting out, I had left behind a small wooden sculpture, modest but beautiful, a form of land art at the edge of a swamp. When I came back two hours later, something had changed. Another work of land art stood facing mine, almost responded to it, in a style close to mine, but more beautiful perhaps, stranger also. I know full well I was the only human being in this area. My geolocator testified to it. So who could have made this?

I climbed a mound and, drawing from my stone kad, I shaped five monoliths five meters tall placed in an arc, facing the swamp. I don't know why I did it. Perhaps to say: "I'm listening." As if the arc was an ear, or an open hand ready to receive something. Then I left to siphon two swamps a bit further on. The organic liquid, close to a gold-colored opaque oil, already filled two kads; the area was not very safe, it was time to go home. Out of curiosity, I returned by way of the mound. And there came a shock. Facing my arc of monoliths, another arc matched mine, just as tall, just as smooth, of five amber monoliths, closing the whole like a circle. I was going to say, of menhirs.

Instinctively, I went to place myself at the center. And I realized that the mirror-monoliths that had sprouted, as it were, to match mine, were made of a substance close to the kyrium constituting the Novark. A kyrium of shifting gold - and not blue like the ship's walls - but with the same fluidity, with the same effects of transparency and of discreet and blurry reflections in which you could see yourself age or grow younger, waver in a restless temporality, uncertain whether it was showing a memory or a future.

One by one, I observed the five monoliths, and in them I saw the forest quivering fleetingly and a beach, a swamp and some boulders, at first without understanding. Pointing the canon of my morpher at it, a note rose from the monolith, inviting, harmonic. An intelligence was there, palpable, but I didn't know what to do. Take it? Suck it up? Make an offering? In the end, I pointed my canon and offered a jet of sand at the spot where I had seen a beach, wood where the forest had briefly undulated, and stones where the monolith vibrated like a boulder. A melody was released, the monoliths slowly vanished.

Before me, in their place, there was the schematics of a high-performance reactor. In kyrium!* A blessing for finishing a ship and setting out to explore new planets. Something I wouldn't have been able to find anywhere in this world, so unreal was its elegance, something that evidently bore witness to a superior civilization. I had tears in my eyes. I had just communicated, with the help of matter, of my morpher, with actions, without words, with an intelligence well beyond anything I could imagine. And that intelligence had just given me a gift...

To be continued... by playing the game!

Written by Alain Damasio

Translated by Alexander Dickow

* The reward stated in the short story should be taken with a pinch of salt:

- We are still in early conceptualization phase for the "rewards" players will get from this kind of interaction. 

- We still need to discuss internally what the possible rewards could be while pondering it with consistency and balance concerns.

- For these reasons, rewards from the mysterious civilization can change drastically as game development progress.

Here are some points we raise internally and we would like to know your opinion on this:

- While there could be some hidden reasons, do you consider the fact to find blueprints by this manner ok? or do you find it a bit "too convenient" (lore-wise)?

- For the time being, items made in kyrium are meant to be indestructible. Is it fine from your point of view? or do you think this could be an issue?

- We want to make rewards earned this way very special and unique (not something that you can mine or buy to a NPC). Do you have some other ideas on the subject?

Also, a few things that are not consistency issues in the Lore (consider it "works as intended" ;)):

- Kyrium is a strange matter from which arkships are partly made of.

- How to make Kyrium is a complete mystery: No colonist have any memory about the fabrication process of this material.

- Kyrium is obviously found on Alioth and there's no way humans were here before the Arkship landing.

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

"- While there could be some hidden reasons, do you consider the fact to find blueprints by this manner ok? or do you find it a bit "too convenient" (lore-wise)?"

Initially I felt it "too convenient" but we are talking about an alien civilization, 10,000 years past when the arkships left Earth. It would be hubristic for us to assume we can understand alien civilizations. Based on this, knowing that alien civilizations have tech far far beyond what we can ever imagine I don't see it as too convenient as its completely plausible.

"- For the time being, items made in kyrium are meant to be indestructible. Is it fine from your point of view? or do you think this could be an issue?"

Every game has to have some form of boundries and I assume Kyrium is a boundry (to keep players from griefing or whatever). I think it's sensible. In popular culture we often have materials that are indestructible or near indestructible, especially in comics.

"We want to make rewards earned this way very special and unique (not something that you can mine or buy to a NPC). Do you have some other ideas on the subject?"

I think rewards should be mixed. For more easily obtainable stuff I see no reason why we can't have an NPC, unless you intend for players to set up shops for bartering and trading, but even then an NPC might be nice for super common stuff. I guess it kinda depends on the reward. I think for the most part your way of offering rewards invites players to explore. So in this sense it almost seems paramount.

I do think gathering or farming or harvesting or whatever should be a part of the process. Sometimes its nice to just go out and mindlessly farm, but not to the extent that it becomes a day job. I guess essentially common raw materials should be relatively easy to find, more rare materials a bit harder and schematics, etc should be obtained by the puzzles, maybe off rare creatures. Some of this is tough to say because we are not sure how much of the world is to be player created once in game, and how much you guys want to develop or continue developing. Some other games are going down the road of everything being automated from emergent AI to player made creations etc. I am not convinced that model will work. I think the key is balance, some emergent stuff, some developer stuff. As long as you guys can stay in control and steer the game in the proper direction based on your vision, I think its all good.

I'd like to see the monoliths be extremely rare and offer the greatest blueprint rewards. The others could be found around the planet, discovered by crafting new items and acquiring new materials, or unlocked through a leveling system like in Ark: Survival Evolved.

Thanks for your feedback Kiklix and Hylios! :)

About being "too convenient", let me rephrase it:
Does it not seem too convenient (lore-wise) that players get a blueprint directly readable/understandable by human eyes? 

I think there is also some misunderstanding about how players will be able to get blueprints in the game.
The short story has focused on the strong points of Dual Universe, but doesn't describe this universe in an exhaustive way.
There will be, of course, NPCs selling common stuff: basic blueprints, common resources and such. The rewards the player will get from exploring and communicating with the alien civilization will be rare and precious (you won't find this kind of stuff every 10 meters). About reward diversity, any other idea beside rare materials and blueprints?

Best regards,
Nyzaltar.

Ah. Convenience issue:

Can be solved by decoding the blueprint. Say some part of your equipment, possibly the portable AI, has some kind of universal translation capability. That wouldn't make any real difference though, so maybe the translation ability is primitive and you have to in fact train the translator by decoding by hand parts of the blueprint in the form of a puzzle or cryptogram etc. so that it can decode the rest of the blueprint, therefore allowing you to read and use it. It should probably be necessary for each individual blueprint, with difficulty based on rarity or value of blueprint.

Actually, thinking about it more, you could scrap the entire AI idea and just simply do the whole thing by hand (same puzzle difficulty and length, just no AI) and have that be a skill type that you could actually level in order to decode more advanced blueprints.

The idea isn't very developed. Definitely needs more explanation and revision.

Hi Astrophil 

Really interesting concepts you  brought here!

I will transmit those to the dev team. If they are enthousiastic about it and they think it will be feasible (technically and time-wise), I'll let you know.

However, as this is something that will be implemented in later stages of developement, don't expect an answer really soon.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions in any case :)

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

• 5 months later...

I've only just got around to reading all five parts of the short story, and I wanted to say that it sounds excellent.  Plus, it's a great and original way to reveal gameplay elements and features.

- We are still in early conceptualization phase for the "rewards" players will get from this kind of interaction. 
- We still need to discuss internally what the possible rewards could be while pondering it with consistency and balance concerns.
- For these reasons, rewards from the mysterious civilization can change drastically as game development progress.

Here are some points we raise internally and we would like to know your opinion on this:
- While there could be some hidden reasons, do you consider the fact to find blueprints by this manner ok? or do you find it a bit "too convenient" (lore-wise)?
- For the time being, items made in kyrium are meant to be indestructible. Is it fine from your point of view? or do you think this could be an issue?
- We want to make rewards earned this way very special and unique (not something that you can mine or buy to a NPC). Do you have some other ideas on the subject?

Also, a few things that are not consistency issues in the Lore (consider it "works as intended" ;)):
- How to make Kyrium is a complete mystery: No colonist have any memory about the fabrication process of this material.
- Kyrium is obviously found on Alioth and there's no way humans were here before the Arkship landing.

Best regards,
Nyzaltar.

Lore-wise, perhaps it is a little convenient, but I can suspend disbelief if this is the type of reward you decide to give.

I think there are serious potential issues with providing people with a source of indestructible units, and those issues are not solved by making those materials rare and random.  Just some of the issues I can think of off the top of my head:

- the rewards for hitting the jackpot while exploring will skew the popularity of that profession

- the lucky few who get these indestructible units/materials blueprints will have something of a monopoly on that unit which detracts from competitiveness in the free market which is a major aspect of the game

- nothing anyone else can design will be as good as an indestructible unit so there will be little point trying to compete in that field of construction/design

- new lucky discoveries of this kind has the potential to change the course of even large scale wars if sprung at critical moments - this is not a good thing in this type of game which should reward planning, strategy and tactics rather than luck

I actually had some vague ideas for archaeology and discovery of alien artifacts a few weeks ago that I never got around to sharing.  Rather than having a completed blueprint handed to you, have the discovery of alien items.  These items will be found alone - a single item at a time.  Now this item will have amazing stats in one or two areas, average stats in other areas, and poor stats in a couple of other areas, but overall will have a higher number of stat points than normal.  In an extremely simplified example, let's say a proton gun is a typical energy weapon with stats like so:

Damage: 7

Rate of fire: 2s

Mass: 5

Hitpoints: 4

Heat limit: 50

Ammo per load: 10

An alien proton gun might have stats like this:

Damage: 15

Rate of fire: 0.2s

Mass: 6

Hitpoints: 3

Heat limit: 35

Ammo per load: 100

Like I said, an extremely simplified example but hopefully it illustrates what I'm getting at.

Now, archaeologists who make these discoveries have a choice.  They can use these items for themselves, sell them on the open market, or use them to design and/or build improved blueprints/units.  This process, however, is destructive, and the rewards to the stats of the unit you're designing are much less pronounced than in the weapon itself.  In the example above, if you try to make a better proton gun using the alien gun, you might end up building a gun that improves damage to 10 and rate of fire to 1.5s.  So you can have a single, unique, awesome unit, or you can destroy it in exchange for the ability to build slightly better than normal units in any quantity you have the capacity for.

I see these artifacts as being randomly generated.  What needs to be randomly generated?  First the unit type, then the unit size, then which stat(s) are improved, then the amount of improvement of that stat, then the stat(s) that are deteriorated, then the level of deterioration of that stat (which should always be less than the level of improvement), and finally the name of the unit.  So the permutations are for all intents and purposes unlimited.  And some artifacts will be far more useful than others.

Obviously this needs to fit in with the building and designing process that you guys are working on, so my exact implementation is undoubtedly not right, but perhaps you can adapt the general idea if you like it.  Lore-wise there's clearly no longer any problem.

Rather than having a completed blueprint handed to you, have the discovery of alien items.  These items will be found alone - a single item at a time.  Now this item will have amazing stats in one or two areas, average stats in other areas, and poor stats in a couple of other areas, but overall will have a higher number of stat points than normal.

honestly, i'd rather have archaeologists find damaged items of any kind, which can be processed by scientists to learn the blueprint of some parts of that item, leading to slightly more efficient parts to build stuff with, improved capacitors etc. Or they can find new alloys, a "new old" combination of materials to create certain items which would improve the overall structure etc.

Maybe rarely still functioning items, but honestly, the chance to find still functional high tech items in ruins is not very feasable.

honestly, i'd rather have archaeologists find damaged items of any kind, which can be processed by scientists to learn the blueprint of some parts of that item, leading to slightly more efficient parts to build stuff with, improved capacitors etc. Or they can find new alloys, a "new old" combination of materials to create certain items which would improve the overall structure etc.

Maybe rarely still functioning items, but honestly, the chance to find still functional high tech items in ruins is not very feasable.

Point taken and I like your ideas. I see no reason why all of these types of finds along with other similar ideas can't be included in the game.

• 3 months later...

Best regards,
Nyzaltar.

No, this gives explorers something to explore for. So far reading what I've been through there isn't anything concrete that the explorers are aiming to find, other than better locations and materials and maybe the potential arksite.

Maybe, as some people have said change it from a simple 'click to get' interaction to a more meaning full one, maybe a puzzle or labyrinth that you need to traverse in order to get it, could be something like the 'cave of wonders' in aladin.. You can enter into the cave but if you make the wrong mistake you risk losing everything. Some caves could be guarded by traps and the like.. so you would end up being indiana jones.

Just finding new things on the surface of the planet and clicking to get is very convenient, i want to work for my food..

Not if you do it correctly.. having ships out in space in indestructible parts would give a unfair advantage to the people with them, how do you stop a ship that can't be stopped?... 

Maybe something where you restrict the use of them or their abilities...

They might not be able to be damaged, but you can shut them off with EMP's or some hacking technologies that they would be susceptible too more so than standard destructible parts, so they are still beatable but they are not destroyable. Gives another level of combat i suppose thinking of it that way as you would need to have a battle plan to get around these parts.

The other idea i thought of was to have them on territories only. If you attack a territory you need to capture or destroy the territory unit so stop them, or deactivate them. maybe incorporate the above idea also, where they are vulnerable to only certain type of attack that deactivate them temporarily.. Then you can better defend your territory but are not 100% invincible, where if you can't beat them.. how do you beat them ?

I think this is awesome, but like someone else mentioned, you should have levels of special, or depending on how frequent these are to find (if you only explore) you could have some of them give you almost nothing too.. 

Finding things should be fun and give you a desire to do it again and again.. other games don't manage to pull this off and people don't really continue to explore (unless the game is about exploring and finding items, thinking of DayZ style poop)..

Incorporating the first idea, you could have the special and uniqueness relate to how difficult the cave/dungeon where the items are located is to complete. The easy caves to find and clear will give you simple items, where others that might require several people to complete (maybe not several, i like being able to explore solo) will give you the best types of items and the more rare unique ones.

other than that, if you didn't change anything from what's already posted about this, i still would not be unhappy about it. I like exploring to find things, and this gives the option to do just that.

nora,

• 3 weeks later...

Not at all. To me, the aliens noticed Sohan's drive to get what he needs. Even knowing the risks. As well as seeing something he made himself, of his own creativeness. As well as showing them that he is curious and willing to figure out a mystery. I feel that if someone made something unique, that isn't made to be sold, and comes from their heart, like a piece of art, that it should be noticed. As well as showing these aliens that you aren't about money and power, after all, that statue would have been a waste of resources.

I could see core pieces of ships, like engines and computer systems being at least partially if not completely made of kyrium. It would be a never ending battle if two warring factions had everything made of kyrium. Maybe, its only obtainable as pre-made objects from said alien finds.

I like the puzzles idea. Especially the one in the story where Sohan blasted sand at the beach monolith and so forth. I REALLY like puzzles like this that don't even seem like they were meant as puzzles until someone tries something out on a whim. I could imagine an example where players are given a puzzle, and it states "There are three ways to complete this puzzle". When, in fact, there are actually, say, 20 ways to complete it. If people use the known ways to complete it, they get an "above average" prize. When someone finds a new way to complete it, they could get a really rare item, and each time after that the prize could be only slightly more than average type of prize. This, IMO, would reward those who are being intuitive and think outside the box.

*This is about to get dark*

What if kyrium is, for example, Tungsten that was imbued(in some non magical way) with souls of sorts? Human, alien, or animal. This would explain why it shows you getting younger and older while looking at it. It would also explain why no one has any knowledge of how to make it.

I like putting twists on things to show a darker side to stories. This is pretty dark, but it also shows the sacrifices that were made to save humanity. It could be farther said that humanity did a rough work of making it, since it was recently discovered before the Arkships were made. Also, that the aliens had refined the process and could have made copies of themselves into the material, by making it. Allowing them to become, to some extent, immortal. But limits them to the knowledge they had, without the ability to learn new things or leave the planet.

Its hard to go this path without getting into magical types of things, which I know DU wont have. Maybe its part of a religious practice that humans had gained knowledge of before the Arkships were made.

Overall, I love this story and the way it was written is just fantastic. I can't wait for any other types of stories that might be released by Alain Damasio.

-TrihXeen

P.S. does Alain Damasio have any other stories?

Bleuprints could partially exict in someone's brain.

By creating a neural connection either in a friendly manner or by force, which of course should be quite difficult.new bleuprints could be reawakened.

Perhaps by joining a group your bit of knowledge (bleuprints) could be added or even be substracted to the group. when that person allies with another group their bit of knowledge goes with them.

This will of course greatly stimulate alliance's and hostilities

as knowledge is power.

Bleuprints could partially exict in someone's brain.

By creating a neural connection either in a friendly manner or by force, which of course should be quite difficult.new bleuprints could be reawakened.

Perhaps by joining a group your bit of knowledge (bleuprints) could be added or even be substracted to the group. when that person allies with another group their bit of knowledge goes with them.

This will of course greatly stimulate alliance's and hostilities

as knowledge is power.

The movie Elysium used this concept where John Carlyle's reboot program was stored in his brain, and upon being injured, the neural program was destroyed, but not before it had been transferred out into Max's brain. Interesting idea - could prove for some fascinating gameplay, but not too sure on the practicality of implementing it.

Best regards,
Nyzaltar.

Just some questions, and opinions on these,

If Kyrium is indestructible, does that mean my KadPack and morpher, cant suck that in to be used for building?

If how to make it is a complete mystery, how were our ships partly made out of it, and how is our morpher tube made from it as well?  To me this does not make sense if there are all these other things in the data banks of the ship, don't you think the construction techniques of make Kyrium, Kadpacks, and morphers would be on the top of the list for new colonists.  Maybe a lore item of data banks being corrupted, or damaged would cover this.

I personally think there is a great benefit to making things indestructible, but we will need a reason why the Kadpacks cant suck that material up to be made into something else.  It looks like the path to this would be to make it an alloy that you have to have the blueprints for and the material to make the alloy as well, to then build an object out of it.  that would work IMHO as you mix it and make the Alloy instead of sucking the Kyrium up to make things our of it.

Also, I don't find it too convenient to find blueprints in the lore described manner, call them aliens, or spirits, Humans have believed in Higher powers helping us for thousands of year already. 

• 1 year later...

En Français :

Pourquoi pas. Cependant, un telle afflue d'information complexe, une nouvelle génération de moteur et Sohan (le type) n'est pas ingénieur, ça doit faire sacrément mal a la tête (prévoir une animation pas piqué des hannetons, donc)
Je préfère quand même l'idée d'un puzzle/mini-jeux pour comprendre/interprété cette information.

Rien n’est indestructible. Balancé un morceau de Kyrium dans une étoile, et si il est encore intact après la supernova, là, il peut être candidat.
Et sinon, Oui, le Kyrium est indestructible, mais surtout, n’est pas craftable !
Seul les Arkships et des artefacts extra-terrestres en sont composés, et ne peuvent être désassemblé et utilisé par les colons.
S’est le matériau ultime d’une civilisation technologique ultra avancé. On a perdu la recette, il dépasse nos connaissances, et il nous faudra bien 500 ans pour le comprendre.

Des restes de vaisseaux extra-terrestres est une bonne idée. En étudient la carcasse on pourrait découvrir de nouveaux type d’éléments.
Cette solution, peut aussi étre aussi une alternative aux "Pierre implenteuse de connaisanse"

On a perdu la recette et temps pis pour nous.
Le Kyrium dépasse nos connaissances, et il nous faudra bien 500 ans pour le comprendre. Et encore, les terriens avait une étoile a neutron aux fesses, ce qui a sans doute et sans problèmes, démultiplier notre leurs vitesse de recherche et de découverte scientifique (motivation quand tu nous tiens).
Le Kyrium n’est peut être pas la seule technologie pleinement comprise issue de cette période. Mais s’est clairement celle où on a le plus de lacune.

Il y a du Kyrium non terrien sur Alioth  ?!
Je suis le seul a me posé la question : Pourquoi ils ne sont pas là ? Où sont-ils ? Pourquoi on-t-ils laissé un matériau aussi précieux sur une planète paumé qu’ils n’ont (semble-t-il) pas colonisé ??
A moins que pour eux, le Kyrium soit l’équivalent d’un mégot de cigarette que l’on jette par la vitre de sa voiture. Un déchet.

Une dernière chose.

Dans l’histoire les IA sont interdite (Aphélie est une exception, nécessaire a l’entretient du navire). Cependant, elle a eu 10000 pour réfléchir, je ne serais donc pas surpris ni étonné qu’elle est développé un peu d’individualité et d’autonomie.
Peut être nous cache t elle des choses ? Ordre terrien ou volonté propre, je ne sais pas. Peut-être devons nous faire certaine chose, atteindre une certain stade de civilisation, pour qu’elle nous délivre ses savoir.
(J’ai vue qu’il y a plusieurs spécialistes en robot et IA dans votre équipe. Je suis sur que vous y avait déjà réfléchis :)

Dans tous les cas, cette petite histoire est excellente.

Why not. However, such a flood of complex information, a new generation of engine and Sohan (the type) is not an engineer, it must do a bad headache (so plan an animation)

I still prefer the idea of a puzzle / mini-games to understand / interpreted this information.

Nothing is indestructible. Swung a piece of Kyrium in a star, and if he is still intact after the supernova, there he may be candidate.
And, Yes, the Kyrium is indestructible, but above all, is uncraftable!
Only Arkships and extraterrestrial artifacts are composed of them, and can not be disassembled and used by settlers.
Is the ultimate material of an advanced technological civilization. We have lost the recipe, it exceeds our knowledge, and it will take us 500 years to understand it.

Remains of alien ships are a good idea. In studying the carcass one could discover new types of Elements.
This solution may also be an alternative to the "Knowledge Pitcher Stone"

We lost the recipe and time worse for us .
The Kyrium exceeds our knowledge, and it will take us 500 years to understand it. Perhaps more, the earthlings had a neutron star on the buttocks, which undoubtedly and without problems, multiply our speed of research and scientific discovery.
Kyrium may not be the only fully understood technology from this period. But it is clearly the one where there is the most gap.

There's Kyrium non terrien on Alioth ?!
I am the only one asked me the question: Why they are not there? Where are they ? Why did they leave such a precious material on a planet that they apparently did not colonize?
Unless, for them, the Kyrium is the equivalent of a cigarette butt that is thrown by the window of his car. A piece of trash.

One last thing.
In history AI are forbidden (Aphélie is an exception, necessary for the maintenance of the ship). However, she had 10,000 to think about, so I would not be surprised or surprised that she is developed a little individuality and autonomy.
Maybe we hide it from things? Terran order or own will, I do not know. Perhaps we must do certain things, reach a certain stage of civilization, so that she can deliver us her knowledge.
(I saw that there are several specialists in robot and AI in your team. I'm sure you had already thought about it :)

On 20/06/2016 at 8:38 AM, TrihXeen said:

P.S. does Alain Damasio have any other stories?

Yes, but none has been translated into English. Too bad, he writes excellents stories.