Scripting

Cybrex

I've looked around but can't quite seem to find any discernible details in regards to the scripting side of DU. It's been mentioned numerous times before that building things are just the first step, but scripting them seems to be one of the final stages as far as automating actions, or having objects work in conjunction with each other to fulfill a specific role.

I guess I have more of a question really, rather than a suggestion at this stage due to lack of information. 

What can we expect from the scripting side of the game, and how complex will it be? 

- Lego

as far as I've been able to tell they are still considering what level player created script to go for.

They have confirmed my inquiries into there being a device that functions in a similar way to a robot 'Turtle' from a mod in mine.craft operates.

Also that it could be possible to alter the functions of some of the currently planned modules, like landing gear in order to make a "mech", though such a device might not have a purpose beyond cool factor.

On the post for Rights and Duty Managments. Tagging. it talks about the abilities of granting powers to organisations, players, and objects.

The line of thinking that I was able to ascertain from that is they might use a simple language with limits or produce an in house "language" that integrates or attaches to the tags and allows players to alter their functionality with a pre built system that offers the devs the most control.

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/272-devblog-rights-duty-management-system-rdms/

Did you by chance have some specific idea or thing in mind? Writing by hand a script to change the color of lights in a room? or AFK combat script or well.. something?

I was more curious about how we would go about making the scripts really. User friendly would automatically lead one to assume they would try to stream line the interface/scripting process to a certain degree. 

It'd be neat to create automated scripts for lights, the color of them, just about everything really. It'd be just one of those cool factors to script the lights on your ships cockpit/bridge to change color depending on the situation. Engage in combat? Red alert. ;)

- Lego

Hi Ellegos,

About scripting, there will two options for players:

- If a player don't want to be bothered by this advanced aspect of construct customization, he will be able to use pre-made scripts.

- If a player feels motivated to make awesome new scripts then yes, he will have a wide array of possibilities using advanced Units, called DPU (Distributed Processing Unit). All in all we try to find a way to make the whole process more user-friendly without removing possibilities in scripting. But as you can imagine, this is quite challenging.

It's still a bit early to talk about it, but you can expect the next Blog Post (in a few weeks) to be on LUA script and the DPUs :)

@Saffi:

While we plan to do our best to give creativity freedom, this won't work exactly like "Turtles" in ComputerCraft (the aforementioned Minecraft Mod).

You will have scripts attached to "Units" (like the Computers, Monitors and Turtles in this mod), but the similarities stop there.

I apologize if one of my previous answer was ambiguous and generated confusion on the matter.

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.

• 5 months later...

Hi Ellegos,

About scripting, there will two options for players:

- If a player don't want to be bothered by this advanced aspect of construct customization, he will be able to use pre-made scripts.

- If a player feels motivated to make awesome new scripts then yes, he will have a wide array of possibilities using advanced Units, called DPU (Distributed Processing Unit). All in all we try to find a way to make the whole process more user-friendly without removing possibilities in scripting. But as you can imagine, this is quite challenging.

Sorry to bump. But am glad of the information. Trying to learn lua right now is not something I have time for. But looking at the friendly replies on the forum, I am sure people will post them.

It would be a waste to learn it now anyways, when you can later learn it step by step ingame while instantly seeing your progress.

Or... learn the concepts now and then be one step ahead?

Learning LUA scripting now is not a waste of time. You learn from both. If someone wants to go out of their way to learn about now, it only gives them another tool on their belt to work with when he/she actually applies themselves in DU. While you're busy trying to teach yourself the core basics, someone else who went out of their way to learn/understand it ahead of time will merely be a few steps ahead of you. No harm in that.

That said, do I care to learn it now? No, not really. I don't even have any desire to learn it either. So if so and so wants to learn it now, and start pushing out scripts for everyone else to buy when the game releases, by all means, be my guest.

Point is, don't discourage the effort. Unless there is a valid reason presented by NQ to warn against doing such (which there isn't, and probably won't be) then knock yourself out. 

ye, you're right, maybe i was a bit harsh with my comment.

But i think the time spent learning lua without practical application is far higher then if u actually learn it while using it ingame(let alone having the motivation), making the whole learning process take less time and vastly more effective.

And i tend to value actions by their time-effectiveness^^

ye, you're right, maybe i was a bit harsh with my comment.

But i think the time spent learning lua without practical application is far higher then if u actually learn it while using it ingame(let alone having the motivation), making the whole learning process take less time and vastly more effective.

And i tend to value actions by their time-effectiveness^^

I understand buddy, just a matter of differing perspectives. :P

• 4 months later...

Forgive me to hijack this thread but my questions concern scripting.

Image you and your four friends start together, play the game, protect each other harvest stuff and finally build a good sturdy spacecraft for five people to operate it. Now it happens, while you are travelling to distant places where noone has ever been before, you have to log out at sometime. Next evening, everyone logs in again ... well, wait not everyone. One player can't log on that day.

So now for the questions:

1. will it be possible to set up/use scripts to fill the gap of the missing player in handling the bigger ship ?

2. when I log out on a moving ship and log back into the game the other day. Will I still be onboard, or all by myself somewhere alone in space?

Considering a script filling a gap of a missing player onboard of a multiplayership is possible. How well will a script do? On the lowest possible player level? Below? Will a player perform up to some scaleable skills or up to some reactions on the keybord/gamepad?

What about makros? Will they be possible? Will we encounter perhaps even hunt bots using LUA scripting to gather resources?

It's your ship. 

If you build it so that it's unflyable unless a certain number of players are on the bridge, then you have a problem.  :D

The script will perform the function to the ability you've written it (or that of the coder).  However, I'm sure a player will be better than any script out there.

It's your ship.

It is the ship of the entity 'Team Omega' (just to put a name). Every team member has contributed to build the big ship and is tagged for every task. Now one member is lost for a day or two and the ship moves on. Eventualls the missing teammember logs on, but the ship is a dozen parsec away. Where is the avatar of the player? B)