Alpha/Beta

How will you guys conduct entry into the alpha and beta phases? Also, will the players from said phases be treated differently (more casually, or with more seniority) as opposed to other players during the full release or open beta provided one exists?

Also I do sincerely apologize for all of my posts seeming like the rambling questions of a young child. I get so excited when I start thinking about this game and feeling like I and the other players some input in the direction that the game goes!

This was Nyzaltar's reply on the alpha/beta questions.

Hi ReadyForTheGame,

Well, as Beta won't be before end of 2016... it's a bit too soon to give details on it.

What is clear for now:

- Alpha will be indeed mostly for backers/supporters/founders, helping us in a crowdfunding campaign.

But it might be also possible to get access for very active community helpers. We haven't decided yet the prerequisites, nor even confirm it will indeed be possible. But we will keep you informed as the situation evolve.

- There will a closed Beta and an open Beta, that's also quite sure. About the modalities to get access, this is also still in discussion. And it won't be defined before we define all the modalities for Alpha access.

However, we want to be clear on one thing:

Alpha & Closed Beta Access are meant to help us building the game by giving feedback and reporting bugs. While a lot of game companies see Beta phase as some advertisement stunt and marketing strategy, we think differently, or more precisely we think the old way: As Alpha, Closed Beta has mainly a role to improve the game experience. It's not meant to just play the game sooner. While we completely understand that members of the community are eager to play the game as much as we are, if some are not interested in testing or bug reporting (which can be - and we agree - a very tedious task but a necessary one), then the Open Beta will be the most appropriate first experience to discover the game.

I don't think Novaquark is going treat the alpha/beta/backer players with seniority, imo this would make other players, who join open beta and full release, feel less... important, for lack of better words. 

But what I do see is maybe having the alpha/beta players be the 1st ones to test something before it's released to the public. 

I'll let Nyzaltar answer that tho :D

• 4 months later...

I think its human nature to treat someone differently that you know (long time forum posters/testers) vs someone who you do not know (new players). That being said, I hope NQ does not do this. I play another voxel game that is seemingly dying. Some of the people who left did not like that the developers paid attention to certain long time players more than new people. The devs were always showcasing stuff from the older players which left the newer people feeling left out. Secondly, that game has a market model where players can make things in game and sell them. The players who were "advertised" by the devs more made more money vs the players who made equally as good if not better stuff. Simple advertising and it works. So for this reason I also think devs should not play favorites. 

If we come to know some of the designers/coders/artists in DU and we chat personally, that is ok. But when certain players get more promotion from the devs, this has a negative effect on many of the people who do not get the same kind of promotion.

So imo its best to keep it neutral, balanced and fair.

Really looking forward to this going into alpha. Whichever way Novaquark chooses to go ahead with access to it, I really hope to be involved. I'm reigning my excitement in for now because it seems like an incredibly awesome game and I'll probably explode with the anticipation if I don't. 

It is my belief that beyond a small mention, there really doesn't need to be any more appreciation for early testers/backers other than maybe some sort of cosmetic fun piece. (Like a colored multi tool or whatever)

Nothing is set into stone yet, but here what we have currently in mind for alpha testers:

While we'll try to avoid giving anything which could become a gameplay advantage, we plan to give something (most probably a cosmetic item) to early testers/backers enabling them to show "yes I was there at the beginning". For now, we thought about an "Alpha Team" outfit.

This is just an idea, and we would like to know what you think about it :)

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

"Alpha Team" outfit

It could work. But I'd love a colored nanformer beam way more. Actually has a gameplay effect, and people are like WOAH he's an alpha tester.

But I'm greedy and I think we need both. Because all the alpha testers are gonna be heads of corporations, we aren't going to be building our bases. We got people to do that for us.

TLDR; I would prefer a coloured nano-former beam and Alpha Team Outfit.

Because all the alpha testers are gonna be heads of corporations, we aren't going to be building our bases. 

Are they now? I don't recall hearing about this. Do you know where you found out about this?

Are they now? I don't recall hearing about this. Do you know where you found out about this?

I think it's more Silvligh's speculation, as there was no statement about that:

We don't expect all the alpha testers to build corporations. Some will most likely just join existent ones or even be famous "lone wolves" :)

TLDR; I would prefer a coloured nano-former beam and Alpha Team Outfit.

That could be an interesting idea, indeed.

This will be discussed with the rest of the team soon.

Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing is set into stone yet, but here what we have currently in mind for alpha testers:

While we'll try to avoid giving anything which could become a gameplay advantage, we plan to give something (most probably a cosmetic item) to early testers/backers enabling them to show "yes I was there at the beginning". For now, we thought about an "Alpha Team" outfit.

This is just an idea, and we would like to know what you think about it :)

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

I'd love an Alpha Team cosmetic outfit, has to be super cool though ;)

Anything at all will be cool of course, however Ive always resented giving or recieving special limited time items that is luck of the draw. Sure im here trying to support the game in whatever way I can, but I dont think that means that my support now is more meaningful than someone who comes in after release.

If you are looking for options I have a few ideas for things that wont lead to resentment or extreme jealousy.

some account bound items that you can only have 1 of at a time in the world.

- Special badge to put on your uniform

- a standing flag to place in your residence or inside a ship

- a unique painting to place in game signed by the team, or something similar

Everyone likes gifts, but to be here and support while remaining humble is my goal at least.

For were here supporting the hopes and dreams of all the gamers out there who want to immerse into a world, and get lost in lore, build dream craft fight, cheer the good times, lean on each other in the bad times.

We early players and supporters have the advantage of choosing how the name of this community will be built, what it will become, and how it will be remembered.

So far I feel like these forums become a more friendly and inviting place to post all the time and activity increases at a slow but good pace too, everyone here is cool, especially Nyzaltar he does a great job, i.m.o., of talking real talk with you and walking the line of professionalism.

Hello dual explorers,

Alpha testers just want to make the game better (or, at least, they should).

So, in my opinion, best rewards would be to :

1. Listen to them and give them the tools and opportunities to make positive and negative critics.
  2. Maybe let them chose some of the universe names like planets, items, or maybe become backstory characters ? I'm sure some of us would love to write our own stories :).

Also, quick idea: it may be a good idea to organize some open discussions with game designers over TS/mumble/Skype. Looking at the number of alpha testers, it is still manageable.

Regards,

Shadow

For me the biggest gift is being part of the Alpha Team, there's something deeply exciting about a new and flourishing game, not only seeing it grow, but being part of that too. I have a lot of faith in the devs of Dual Universe, there is so much thought and quality work to see already before we've even actually tested the game, I know I'll do my best to give feedback and input, and it seems there is enough variety in gaming flavours and experience here amongst us, that we'll all offer lots of variety in our feedback as well, which is no doubt a good thing.

I don't desire to be treated any differently to anyone else, I just ask for a fun game all said and done! Anyone who wants notoriety will likely be able to find that in various ways in the game itself eventually anyway. I do like cosmetics though, which is why I think a unique outfit would be nice, anything else is just a bonus.

• 1 month later...

@Markus:

I hope I don't sound pretentious saying this but naturally, this is an opinion shared by most, if not all, of us forum members. We certainly would not ask anything in return, but if Novaquark did decide to do a little something for backers and testers, I'm sure most would not blatantly refuse to accept it either. I for one always live for the cosmetics and such in-game, and purty outfits are always great. 

But the point remains, yes, most of us are perfectly happy to help make DU the best it can be. :)

Cheers,

~Astrophil

I am really excited by the tone of this discussion. I like the idea that testers ect. get to provide input. rewards are nice, but for me not required. i am just getting started on reading about the concept of this game, so i would love some pointers on where i can become a supporter. other than providing my input via forums, which i am totally willing and expecting to do. i have been keeping an eye on this game for some time now, and it has many concepts which are similar to another game i play, it also seems to lack some of the things which are not my favorite. and it looks like it will have plenty of new things which sound way fun. so many wonderful ideas, i can't wait to read further, and get to know some of my fellow interested persons.

Hi vracyon and welcome on our forum.

However, could you write in english here as it would be the best way for everyone to understand you?

---

Hola y bienvenidos vracyon en nuestro foro.
Sin embargo , se puede escribir en Ingl?s aqu?, ya que ser?a la mejor manera de entender para todos ustedes?

---

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.