NQ-Nyzaltar

DevBlog: Territory Control

I'm concerned that if I build a home underground, but I did not set up a territory claim, what would happen if someone else came and set up a claim above ground?

Would my own buildings and defenses consider me hostile or intruder? What if I do not want another faction group or player to know that I've claimed territory?

@Scruggs

You will live underground going to the surface to steal stuff and going back down. Thou shalt be called The Murlock King and tales of your savage nature shalt roam the server. OR, you can move in to my secret volcano hideout as I will try to conquer zie galaxy with my army of unicorn droids, powered by salt. 

@CaptainTwerkmotor

I find this plan acceptable. Nothing is more degrading than being killed with a rainbow laser fired from a unicorn droid. People will be shamed into submission.

I'm concerned that if I build a home underground, but I did not set up a territory claim, what would happen if someone else came and set up a claim above ground?

Would my own buildings and defenses consider me hostile or intruder? What if I do not want another faction group or player to know that I've claimed territory?

This is a very good point.

In all seriousness, the Claimed Territory system should be in place, so if you have built underground, perhaps the guy could ask you to share owenership. Why you ask? Because here comes the Taxation system. People sell things in your turf? They pay taxes. So yeah. You could build underground (in your sex-dungeon or w/e Scruggs xD ) and have shared owenership with the guys who wanna build above. I mean, planets can be huge, so, what are the chances you will build underneath a spot other guys want to build as well. This is why I plan to fly until I find a nice remote mountain and stay in there until the game reaches its mass PvP point.

To your first two questions, I would hope that nothing would happen.  Unless someone actually physically finds your underground home, you are fine and can continue as normal.  You might just have to be more careful to ensure that you remain hidden because you are close to inhabited lands.  

To your second question I would argue that claiming territory is, first and foremost, an announcement.  If you don't want anyone to know where you live, don't put in a TU.

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion on how TU's should work, we don't really know this for sure. :)

Well you can still use tags to lock your home and whatnot. Set it up to be a crime to break in. But if nobody else accepts your authority that person would only be a criminal to you and maybe your friends. Much like in real life.

The TU like you say Klatu announce your existence. But also allows you to set tags over the area. So if you say.. people must unequip their weapons or turrets will fire on them. That's the law of that tu area.

Being a part of an alliance or nation will be one of the only true ways to force repercussions on potential baddies. They may not want several thousand hostile players against them

You've all made excellent points, I guess I won't have much to worry about. Either way these things can be tested in the Beta or, if they decide include them at that point, in the Alpha.

The TU like you say Klatu announce your existence. But also allows you to set tags over the area. So if you say.. people must unequip their weapons or turrets will fire on them. That's the law of that tu area.

You're kind of right about tagging, though it's more to do with powers.  And I don't think you're necessarily right about the specific example.  If you build a turret somewhere, whether it is your claimed land or not, and put in a DPU that says fire on all armed players without a "myFriend" tag within x radius, then it will fire.  A TU is not necessary.

The kind of powers I think we're likely to see related to land ownership will be the power to build on it, mine it, pass through it, trade/carry particular items on it, fight on it, etc.  Though I don't see any of these powers as being enforced by game coding, more just a convenience for management and tagging purposes.  Even without a TU you can still fit automated defenses to stop/protect people doing these things, but for a complex society with lots of players of different association you'll want a more fine-grained control.  That's where I see TU's simplifying things.

So im new here and see alot of potential, but alot seem to unconciously try and cripple that potential in order to have not just the pear but also the apple, mutating it into a papple.

So you want PvP? fine there will be a whole lot of others who want to bash heads, no need to go after the Arkified territories. The universe is big enough, why worry about some tiles on some planets that youre maybe not even interested in.

Alot of suggestions were made because of the fear that the Arks would be used for PvP, but it is intended to prevent PvP so... that tought is being illogical. Stating that others could abuse the Arks to make a fortress next to the enemy, thats sooooo unlikely to happen because a.) neither one can attack so its a stalemate and a waste of a fort b.) since it is for PvE its very unlikely that you would be able to build any PvP structures in there.

Ofcourse in reality alot of *good* things have been taken and remodeled into weapons, but since this is about a game, im sure the devs can prevent such an abuse.

For those that worry that someone just shows up and plops a TU or Ark next to their home.... it was mentioned that there will be a timer for TUs to activate 1-2 days and Arks probably a week. (please atleast read the Devs and CMs posts before making assumptions)

And now to my idea and opinion:

As I see it all things Ark related seem to inhibit PvP activity. Meaning that items emitting Ark *waves* seem to put people into balance and harmoy, why else did we survive the long journey on an arkship without PvP killing each other during the voyage.

So that PvPlers would stop worrying or complaining about Arks, just have it be completly non-PvP, meaning no Turrets, Hostile actions etc. the only thing allowed would be duels which both duellists agreed to.

So that soloists and players who dont belong to a big organization are happy just let each *Entity* have max. 3 or so Arks, incase they want it on another spot the previous Ark has to be deactivated.

Meaning that a soloist can make 3, a whole organization 3, a whole alliance just 3, the bigger your [insert synonym for group] is, the less Arks you have, but you will need less because you would have more people able to defend.

Ark Tokens would preferrably be like a core you find in a rare Arkship crashsite, that you first need tools or skills to break into the wreckage and then a container specially for the Ark Core, and you cant add it to your inventory, its more like a construct that you cant pick up or destroy but are able to move around and activate on a TU.

If you allready got your max. amount then you cant interact with it. Since they are so rare i'd hope they are re-usable, just deactivate and transport it to the desired location.

Shouldnt be that bad because it takes so long to activate anyway.

And last but not the least important: The Arkships/Playerspawns

I agree that the playerbase shouldnt be split early, but what about ressource respawn, its not just that alot of players will be on the starting zone someday, but the region would probably be mined empty or simply alot less ressources and plots to build on. So it makes sense to get a new location sometime, somehow.

Either enabled trough simply having another arkship settle down in a new location, or the more exciting one would be trough players exploring the vast space and stumbling across a crashed Arkshipe that is still intact. Player would again need skillz in hacking the doors or having tools to wield/break it open. Inside he would find the *new players* waiting in their cryostasis chambers, advancing towards the bridge he would find the controls and activate the new Arkship/Playerspawn and awaken the players from their slumber. But should it be the 2nd option i'd suppose it's very likely to happen later or earlier than it would be needed unless its added manually by the devs.

I dont think there will be ressource respawn, because otherwise players could simply stay at one spot forever and never have to leave or explore. But kinda hope that there are things that can be produced/harvested infinitely like wood, since you can grow that, or other materials (maybe add alchemy with ability of transmutation or something)

So yeah that concludes my mayonnaise added to the others ketchup for this hotdog of a topic  :D 

If i remember correctly, when you own a territory, it goes down to the planet core. Also, i thought there was mention of it being announced that you are claiming it, and had a time delay.

If you have scripted defenses tgey would default to you not being tge owner any more, you would get an intruder flag, and from the sounds of it, not be able to dig/mine, build, or modify existing lua script anymore

I didn't go through all posts, only first ones and I know this is quite old topic, but I like the idea of capitals.

Every organization should be able to arkify one tile under the mechanics:

- tile cannot be arkified if there is another arkified tile in specific range

- this arkified tile is center of capital city (and when there is no city created yet, empty city with name is automatically settled)

- arkified area can be expanded to tiles in specific radius from center tile (this radius is defined by territorial power of organization, the more you have under your control, the bigger radius is arkified)

- arkified area can be reduced if organisation loses territories, but this process won't be instant... it would take 3-7 days to reduce radius by 1 (so if organisation has radius 10 and it loses all it's territories in single day, reducing it to 1, this reduction from 10 to 1 would take several weeks to let players move their assets. Only the center tile would be permanently arkified, even if the organisation breaks up.

If an arkification token is rare enough, and can only be applied to one tile (like a capital) rather than the bounds of an entire territory, that sounds good to me. The week lead-time seems long enough for outside forces to react and attempt to prevent it, especially if arkification causes the zone to light up in a way so that it wouldn't take an inside operative to know it was happening somewhere. Plus this does not go outside the normal bounds of what players should expect as they had already disclosed that there may be other discover-able safe zones.

If you want to see civilizations thrive, small org-specific safe zones would be one way to go about that.

Mineral tax

I see it working more smothley if there was a mineral tax that is granted by the land owner when we employs people from a workers wanted board

Design

Placing a blueprint hologram on the ground for lets say a building and watching it form up as eather taxes are collected or manualy injected to the hologram terminal

Personal quarters

Lets say i join a grid owner i should be able to place a escape pod that folds out inside a designated space inside a building/ship where i can place my specialized equipment that i gather/build over time and if my time expired with that organization the escape pod folds all my belongings up with in it and flys back to the arkship

Land owners going inactive

Curious to see what happens when a land owner gose on a holliday or called away for work will a member of the grid be able to pay the running costs or is there a vote, maybe the guy who pays the most worker tax gets the right to the grid

My input on the Arkification subject is that yes - I think there should definitely be arkstones scattered around (I like the suggestion of Found, rarely, rather than Manifactured), and I also like that they would have a lifespan, so you have to go out and hunt for new ones and/or buy them from other players.

They should be one of the most coveted commodity because of their utility, and once activated I don't think one should be able to steal or destroy them.

Possibly hack them, but even this should be very hard and/or time consuming to do! Think along the lines of physical interaction and maybe 25% or even 50% of the time it takes to activate one (1 week, was it?) from scratch.

In addition to this I'd suggest that they draw their power from the closest star, or something similar, which would mean that there can only be a fixed number of arkzones active in a single solar system, at any given time, or possibly a distance restriction to the next arkzone.

This restriction is needed because the solar system would just consist of safe zones a few years after the release if there's nothing stopping it.

I think they should be usable on a single TU (one hex) in order to not enable a gigafactory for gigantic constructs on your enemys doorstep, in addition to the time it takes to build them. At some point I'm sure all allowed arkzones will be dropped adjacent to eachother to allow for a gigafactory anyway, but it would not be cheap or easy.

I'd say they should last for example 4-8 weeks depending on quality and/or size, as to be more realistic if you accept the scenario that they come from other, crashed arkships. There would surely be some more banged up than others etc. Size is only interesting if they are supposed to be naturally occuring gemstones.

Additionally there should be arkfragments scattered around, which are not as rare as stones, but not nearly as powerful either. Perhaps they only cloak the presence of your base, but not provide any additional protection, or scramble enemy radars/scanners etc. A useful item, but not nearly granting you invincibility.

The main use for these fragments, as I see it, is to allow casual players to be able to enjoy the game away from the Arkship. If everything you find, build, buy etc. is stealable, hackable, destroyable, and so on, while you're putting the kids to bed and/or at work, holidays etc. you will not enjoy the game. And if the casuals don't enjoy the game the whole notion of a single shard MMO will fall over like a house of cards! This is a very important aspect, which takes careful consideration.

My input on the Arkification subject is that yes - I think there should definitely be arkstones scattered around

Hey Joakim, currently the idea of arkification tokens is off the table. Players will still be able to set up protection bubbles and new safe zones will have to be discovered in the form of ruines.

It was because of balance reasons but this being pre alpha things are constantly changing. :)

Hey Joakim, currently the idea of arkification tokens is off the table. Players will still be able to set up protection bubbles and new safe zones will have to be discovered in the form of ruines.

It was because of balance reasons but this being pre alpha things are constantly changing. :)

Plus it will be hard enough to attack a city right now since CvC is off the table for the moment.

My biggest concern after reading all of this is;

When u reed the history books, people in history (and still now in the poor regions of the world) were always

fighting for control of land (for example romans etc), believes (for example holy crusades), minerals or trade wars, or just crazy ideas (ww2).

Now my point is that when u have a clan of just a few, and they are having a good time...mining their resources with simple

mining equipment, flying their little, but unique spaceships etc etc....

And than a big blob of a clan of 250+ players just comes and steamrolls the freaking planet like weed (the one that grows in your normal garden) !!

Do we just say Hail emperor, work like slaves and sit it out until a server wipe comes along ?

Cause the idea of playing civilized humans feels like utopia for me, and this game is called Dual Universe, its the same as

our Earth, just in space and some gadgets, so it ain't gonna happen...

Yes, but you have to remember planets are very large. And you shouldnt set up territory if you arent prepared to fight for it.

Its a game, a sandbox game with territorial conflict. That includes your scenario. If you dont like the new emperor either rebel or find a new home.

If you want no conflict at all stay in the safe zone. :)

When u reed the history books, people in history (and still now in the poor regions of the world) were always

fighting for control of land (for example romans etc), believes (for example holy crusades), minerals or trade wars, or just crazy ideas (ww2).

The cause for historical land battles is the scarcity of land due mostly to the limits of transportation.  Here there will be a lot of space and relatively fast transportation.

Defeating a territory will take time and resources, and so groups will only do it if it's worth the time and expense.  I doubt it will often be worth it just to hold the land; it will likely be done to raid what is in the territory.  For this reason, I think most stockpiles of resources by small groups will be kept in safezones with territories being used to safely mine and gather small amounts to transfer to safe zones.

My biggest concern after reading all of this is;

Now my point is that when u have a clan of just a few, and they are having a good time...mining their resources with simple

mining equipment, flying their little, but unique spaceships etc etc....

And than a big blob of a clan of 250+ players just comes and steamrolls the freaking planet like weed (the one that grows in your normal garden) !!

Do we just say Hail emperor, work like slaves and sit it out until a server wipe comes along ?

Cause the idea of playing civilized humans feels like utopia for me, and this game is called Dual Universe, its the same as

our Earth, just in space and some gadgets, so it ain't gonna happen...

The thing is that some kind of absolute safe zone has to exist.

I'm going to use an example from Eve, since that's the only full-PVP single-shard game that I know of.

In Eve, even in High Security space, you weren't completely safe. If another player wanted you dead badly enough, you were going to die. They just had to be quick about it so they could do it before the Space Police showed up and made them into glitter.

The only place that was completely safe for your ships and your gear was in a station. These stations are not rare, either, they're all over the place, and they were absolutely safe no matter what.

The drawback to these stations is that, while inside, you can't really do much. You could buy and sell some stuff on the market, but that was mostly the extent of it. If the thing you just bought was at a different station, then too bad, you have to leave your station to go pick it up.

I wouldn't mind it a bit if these ark zones were completely safe, indestructible, and indefinite, as long as some restrictions on exactly how useful they are would be put into place.

If you have nowhere that you can put your stuff and have it GUARANTEED to be safe, how many times do you think players are going to willingly start over from scratch? Because that will happen sooner or later if there is nowhere I can put my stuff and KNOW that it's going to stay mine.

In Eve, you risked what you were flying and anything that you were carrying on you. Pretty much everything else you just kept at a station.

The thing is that some kind of absolute safe zone has to exist.

I'm going to use an example from Eve, since that's the only full-PVP single-shard game that I know of.

In Eve, even in High Security space, you weren't completely safe. If another player wanted you dead badly enough, you were going to die. They just had to be quick about it so they could do it before the Space Police showed up and made them into glitter.

The only place that was completely safe for your ships and your gear was in a station. These stations are not rare, either, they're all over the place, and they were absolutely safe no matter what.

The drawback to these stations is that, while inside, you can't really do much. You could buy and sell some stuff on the market, but that was mostly the extent of it. If the thing you just bought was at a different station, then too bad, you have to leave your station to go pick it up.

I wouldn't mind it a bit if these ark zones were completely safe, indestructible, and indefinite, as long as some restrictions on exactly how useful they are would be put into place.

If you have nowhere that you can put your stuff and have it GUARANTEED to be safe, how many times do you think players are going to willingly start over from scratch? Because that will happen sooner or later if there is nowhere I can put my stuff and KNOW that it's going to stay mine.

In Eve, you risked what you were flying and anything that you were carrying on you. Pretty much everything else you just kept at a station.

I didn't play EVE more than hour or so, but I'm sure, if you exit the game, your ship will disapear after few minutes as well. Maybe I wrong. In voxel games nothing disapear except character.

So player can lose ship or station when explore space/playing, but even while working in real life, sleeping, studying or doing something else.

At the same time, NQ said (in AMA1) that players will have chance to find new safe zones. From one side, as peaceful player I am happy with that, but from another unlimited time of guaranteed safe zone which can not be canceled or destroyed in long term is wrong.

In my vision, safe zones need to be opportunity for big organisations (who can sell protection to others as trade deal). But at the same time, these organisations need to manage and protect this zone from any other organised group. Idea is described here (will make some little changes later today): https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/10321-player-made-safe-zones/

Thanks,

Archonious

Hi guys, 

It's my first time typing a post here but i'm super hyped about the game and I almost cried with tears of joy when I was reading NQ-Nyzaltar was saying. I really really liked the Idea and I gave it a thought of what would be cool to implement into that mechanic. 

Basically, having a "zone" where all your stuff are safe when you aren't playing is a pretty cool idea, but up to a point. Maybe you can have a very small storage at the spawning area where you can keep a part of your funds or very very valuable items which cannot be raided in any way. 

However, your main storage area must be in a location owned by your Guild/Corporation/You. Having that in mind, if the "Corporation" has an established capital this would be the safest place for your storage to be due to the following reasons (for example of course):

-The Capital can only be raided if another "Corporation" declares war on you. 

-The capital can be attacked only when your "Corporation" does not own any other territories 

-You can only attack a Capital 24 hours after the declaration of War. 

- Defensive turrets/weapons in the capital have higher Stats

This (in my opinion) will add really cool gameplay features like Spying, Advance Politics,Amazing huge battles, Evacuation (of really important items let's say) and so on. Plus, a player would feel pretty safe when his stuff are heavily protected (but not invunerable). 

I've got a milion other ideas and I really hope this come to the attention of some of the devs. 

Thank you guys for even thinking of such a cool game. Please don't rush it .

Kind regards,

Ian

PS.  Please leave the game to be P2P (subscription based) and do not add any ingame currency (only cosmetic stuff can be bought and Nothing else. Otherwise it would be Pay2Win and it would defeat the whole purpose of the subscription model)