Graphics for Animate Objects

Astrophil

How realistic will living and moving things in the game, particularly humans, appear? The other day I happened upon Square Enix's new animation of Hatsune Miku, and the realistic-ness of it was absolutely incredible. I would have thought it to be an actual human had I not known better.

Here's the animation:

http://otakumode.com/news/545c796972b4c28015ab4eac/Hatsune-Miku-is-Practically-REAL-with-Square-Enix%E2%80%99s-Graphics-Technology!?lang=en

What an amazing blend of anime and realism.

I believe that real people could probably look like that within the next 50-75 years, if the world would pushes more research into DNA and genetics. possibly reversing aging, creating new stem cells with a younger date than current cells in your body; extending lifespans greatly, and even changing the way people look at a fundamental level.

It makes me wish to express, that even 'realistic' can have a flawless or slightly abnormal look. Those Miku eyes, enhanced larger with a big blue pupil, I love it- just look how cute she is

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Astrophil,

It's a bit too soon to tell to which extent human characters will be realistic in the game.

Obviously, not to the extent of Hatsune Miku in the animation you have linked. The reasons? The amount of work focused on one specific character (a whole dedicated team is behind it) and the polygon count: The more you increase the number of polygons on a 3D character, the more you can make something realistic. While going crazy for a 3D character for animation purpose is okay, it's necessary to be more reasonnable when it comes to gaming purpose: All games so far use what is called "low poly" versions for 3D characters, in order keep a decent frame rate per second. 

Anyway, we will still aim for something fairly realistic for the character and creature models.

But I can't tell you more than that for the time being.

Best regards,

Nyzaltar.