Dreamstar

What kinds of avatar design choices might players have access to in game?

Though we don't know much on the subject yet. I'd like to express a few viewpoints and also see what the rest of the cool kids think.

Lore wise - most likely everyone will be human looking, we can assume, even if great breakthroughs were made in science for genetic modifications probably not many were made just for show, that is to say ones that weren't necessary to escape the tragedy approaching earth.

Questions around when players are allowed to create characters.

Preset bodies versus scale-able ones.

Will there be multiple body types to chose from if they are preset? Such as Teenager, Young Adult, Adult, Tall Adult, and so forth.

for the purpose of better attaching things to the polygons, clothes, weapons... if we are allowed sliders to scale the models, will we start with a pre-defined base model like the Teen or Adult and then make that model bigger or smaller within some kind of preset boundaries?

If I'm playing as an adult, and there is a in game editor, will I be able to change from Adult to Kid/Teen, the science presented in game is quite futuristic, I think the repercussion would be drastic changes in body shape are hard on the body's cells and it may take several days or weeks before you could change your type again.

Me, we, the community should understand the team is going for realistic graphics, I look forward to seeing what becomes available, personally I love cute things and if I have to look like a troll I'm going to find an old astronaut helmet and never take it off.

Also, would there be a difference in the abilities of the different body models? For example, would a tall person be able to run faster, or a small body be able to crawl into a smaller space that a larger person couldn't?

One question or idea that can be thrown in to avatar model questions above is the "ageing - injury" concept.

In regards to ageing, the longer (time related) a player stays away from the resurrection node, the more age the avatar gets. This can be reversed via 2 ways...

1. Death/Resurrection, when resurected the avatar model returns to that 'young' look.

2. Medical areas, regeneration pods etc.

In regards to ingury, say an explosion from a space battle that causes the loss of an eye, finger, leg, arm, would affect the player. Cybernegic implants can be utilized here too, to alter the look of the avatar model or enhance certain skills for the player. I feel that this would add a lot more realism and that survivalist feel to DU.

Also, would there be a difference in the abilities of the different body models? For example, would a tall person be able to run faster, or a small body be able to crawl into a smaller space that a larger person couldn't?

If DU decides to add different playable species, they could all have distinct attributes and abilities (such as being tall or short and maybe gaining an advantage).

Comrademoco, I really like your idea! I'll probably intentionally slice off a limb or two and get cyborg appendages haha.

I'm expecting to have presets and 'scale-able' characters, so we won't have too many clones. A lot of plastic surgery will be happening.

If DU decides to add different playable species, they could all have distinct attributes and abilities (such as being tall or short and maybe gaining an advantage).

Comrademoco, I really like your idea! I'll probably intentionally slice off a limb or two and get cyborg appendages haha.

Hehe, makes me realise on something... People would use to their advantage, hrmm maybe tripling the cost if limbs werent to be lost in actual combat but rather by players choice.

Hehe, makes me realise on something... People would use to their advantage, hrmm maybe tripling the cost if limbs werent to be lost in actual combat but rather by players choice.

Well, it's ludicrous if players will have the option to injure themselves to get a shiny new prosthetic hand. Perhaps in an emergency situation, players will have the chance to make a sacrifice to stay alive. This is especially true if their resurrection node is light years away.

Then players can compare how much of themselves are synthetic, as a way of 'showing off' how many times they almost got killed. I wouldn't mind a few battle scars myself!

Well, it's ludicrous if players will have the option to injure themselves to get a shiny new prosthetic hand. Perhaps in an emergency situation, players will have the chance to make a sacrifice to stay alive. This is especially true if their resurrection node is light years away.

Then players can compare how much of themselves are synthetic, as a way of 'showing off' how many times they almost got killed. I wouldn't mind a few battle scars myself!

Very true. Would make a great addition after beta... Think I'm going to add that to my "want-wish list" hehe

This also rises the question whether DU will have the option to be 3rd Person. Would be awesome to see your own avatar. Think it is mentioned on the FAQ.

Well you could always show the avatar in the inventory screen or whatever. I personally would not be ok with having cybernetic parts attached to my physical body I think I would rather die and be remade.

Hi there!

Having battle scars or prosthetic limbs through cosmetic items is something we are going to think about after the official release.

There is a high chance this will be on our todo list as well :)

About having a Third Person View Mode, we are aware this is something wanted by... a lot of people.

It will probably not be implemented for the Alpha, or even the Beta, but that may be a stretch goal for the official release, in the upcoming crowdfunding campaign early next year ;)