Forum: DevTracker (Idea)

Comrademoco

This idea is mostly for the forums, hopefully we can get a conversation started about this...

This idea will be taken from other games forums...

a DevTracker is exactly what the name is... Developer Tracker

It is a special section in the forums, where if you click on it, it links you to a listing of the Developer Posts.

It lists all the developers it is tracking... with a list of the most recent posts. One must log in into an account in order for it to show as an option on the forum lists... it works much like a search, but in the sense that it searches for all the accounts tagged with the "Developer" tag.

Here are a few examples:

STO: http://i.imgur.com/GwMkAZL

SWTOR: http://imgur.com/uTNK27N

GW2: http://imgur.com/fq0fwId

Some have gone as far as creating a twitter account that tweets every time a developer posts something on the forums...

For some players, this allows for the location of developer answers to questions more easily, instead of digging through pages and pages to find the official answer...

Hopefully it is considered :)

and thanks for reading my ramblings, hehehe!

~ Edit: I just realize the images I linked are really really low quality and hard to see the details... :eek: sorry :'( 

Splendid idea.

I'm sure this will be coming down the pipeline of goodies from NQ as things speed up here.

I have no fear that even with facebook or social media integration, they will keep the website and forums as the centralized source for news and community communication. Not to ignore social media by any means, just that they keep their presence here active too. They're quite professional I have faith in them.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Comrademoco & Saffi,

Sorry for the late reply on this topic.

Implementing a Dev Tracker is a nice idea, but as you can see, generally the game studios using  this kind of communication are big studios, backed by a publisher.

It's very rare to see an indie studio using this kind of communication (it happens generally when it reaches a significant size and have a budget way above average).  Developers in an indie studio are very few, and therefore they have to focus on the code to progress at a reasonable speed. While this is important to communicate with the community, you need to understand that it is also a bit disruptive for the developer focus: it takes time to immerse again in the code after having participated in a discussion with community members, especially if it happens to be several times per day. If you already coded some software, you probably already know what we are talking about: you progress much faster when you stay focused on your code, without being distracted by other activities.

Does that mean the devs will never communicate with the community?

No. They will probably communicate at some point, but mostly on important topics. It's not planned to do it through regular chats (at least for now).

We hope this won't disappoint you.

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.