In game chat-box Avatar

Dreamstar

Hello, I've been thinking on the subject of why people like one communication device against another.

Personal touch is something that comes to mind. Take skype, a popular voice over ip. but also a popular chatroom device.

I credit that aspect to the fact that you get to select an icon, a picture, not necessarily your own face - to represent you.

I was thinking along the lines that some games have Real ID integration, but if DU is a single world on clustered servers then there wont be a whole lot of Alternative character creation and thus a real minimal demand for real ID.

I was thinking that possibly in the in game chats our forum's avatar might display next to your text, or other possibilities including inside your profile, or next to your name on the list of people in the chat.

It could chew a few bits of data, but with some reasonable options like disable auto load of avatar icons unless clicked, only load friends icons unless clicked.

It might be a little nick nack feature that people come to enjoy that allows them to project a little piece of themselves into the world.

Also a subject that probably needs a topic of its own, as has been said by others, but I figure that the community can police the images, something with alot of negative votes gets sent to a tribunal where a majority of the voters need to say yes, this bulge is too inappropriate or R-rated.

A chatroom displaying the Player Character face?

While it could get messy with too many participants, that's definitely an interesting idea for private (one on one) conversations! 
If the concept is accepted, from how things are piling up, that won't probably be for Alpha or Beta.

But after official release, It might be a very popular feature to implement.

I will transmit the suggestion to the team ;)

I'm sure there could be many interactions.

One way, possibly like eve online. Your name and an image of either your' character. or an up-loadable image, possibly the same one from the forums.

Another way, is if I type a sentence it displays in a similar fashion to how forums work.

example

xx Image xx -Player Name - (Text)

Or just even using the avatar from the forums, inside of player biography in the game.

I don't think overly highly of this idea it was just something that sparked into my head.

That's very interesting! It will certainly bring a sense of individuality into the game.

However, I have to agree with Nyzaltar. Extra features and cosmetics should wait until after the initial release. I don't doubt this will be added though.

Another thing; instead of identifying a player based on their username, it could be based on their character's face like a 'facial recognition' mechanism. Maybe that mechanism will be based on your actual face? I'm not too sure.

This idea does follow the same concept Eve Online took.

While it is a good idea, from my personal experience, the avatar displays on the chat... weren't all that, important, for lack of better word... however, something along the lines of displaying the character's look or face when opening a "View Character Stats" would be much better imo.  This however doesn't necessarily follow the "in game avatar on chat" but it does follow the same concept. 

This also draws my attention to "bounties" on players, I'm sure that in Dual Universe will greatly implement this, being able to see a players avatar on the 'Bounty' HUD or Viewscreen of a ship, can add a layer of realism...

Anyways, I feel like I'm going off topic... but to cap, avatars on chat box (from my experience in Eve) isn't all that... intriguing.  Maybe clicking on the character name and brining that "character stat" window I mentioned earlier.

Let's just see how that goes after launch...

If there was no usernames though how would you know what to call someone if you didn't know them already who you just say "Hey you with the blond hair" I don't think that would work.

If there was no usernames though how would you know what to call someone if you didn't know them already who you just say "Hey you with the blond hair" I don't think that would work.

Haha well, players will still have names. I'm not even sure what I was suggesting, since facial recognition would be more appropriate in real life than a game.

But, what if you could snap a photo of yourself and have your character look exactly like you? That's neat.