How much?

GraXXoR

I know I'm sometimes a bit slow, but I had been under the impression that the game was $10 per month for a year subscription.

It's 120 EUROS a year...  or about 18,000 Yen a year!
To put that into perspective, a year subscription to Adobe Educational complete suite of applications costs 24,000 yen!

Nope, DU is priced the same as AAA subscription games! 

Only it doesn't have an initial purchase price, so their ability to compete in marketing was never going to be there (even if their conversion and churn rate was competitive). 

Going FTP or closing the game was always the choice NQ would face because subscriptions can't work for products like Dual Universe. 

Elementary math has shown this over and over...math people have done since well before release.  

People laughed at the idea that DU could maintain even 10,000 subs...and even with that scale, the subscription would need to be far more expensive to sustain NQ and combat churn. 

So...abandoning this absurd subscription model was inevitable and obvious to almost everyone except NQ.

It's really puzzling that any indie/niche subscription MMO would launch without understanding that there's a 95%+ chance that they will have to go FTP...but then again, NQ was founded by someone that hadn't worked a single day in the industry...so of course they didn't understand how the industry works. 

On 3/9/2023 at 3:28 PM, blundertwink said:

but then again, NQ was founded by someone that hadn't worked a single day in the industry...so of course they didn't understand how the industry works. 

Even worse, seeing how this developed i doubt they even played a single game

For a game like DU a subscription service makes sense. For the current game market a subscription service does not make sense. 

Personally I love a subscription model. You pay you play. FTP games have a way of costing you more money.  (I have paid more into world of tanks then any other game I have ever played by far, pretty sure I could go buy all the DLC's for TTRS and it would still be cheaper then what I have put into WOT). 

When the game goes FTP it will be us that will have to pay more. As not only will we have to pay for our own server cost, but we will also have to pay for the server cost for those players who are playing for free.  Oh sure we will get to buy things like cooler skins that will allow us to have better looking ships then those FTP characters. Probably even be able to buy some SP boosters so we can out perform them.  Being able to buy DAC from NQ to trade for Quanta ingame so we can buy better stuff to kill those FTP players. Maybe even going as far as premium ammo to better shoot at them. 

Basically in a FTP game the few have to carry the many financially.  Which means they have to entice the few to buy enough to support themselves and everyone else. Which usually means imbalancing the game. 

Also another thing to consider for DU. You need a fairly decent computer. And if you have a fairly decent computer it usually means an xtra $20 a month on a sub in negligible. 

On 3/9/2023 at 2:28 PM, blundertwink said:

Nope, DU is priced the same as AAA subscription games! 

Only it doesn't have an initial purchase price, so their ability to compete in marketing was never going to be there (even if their conversion and churn rate was competitive). 

Going FTP or closing the game was always the choice NQ would face because subscriptions can't work for products like Dual Universe. 

Elementary math has shown this over and over...math people have done since well before release.  

People laughed at the idea that DU could maintain even 10,000 subs...and even with that scale, the subscription would need to be far more expensive to sustain NQ and combat churn. 

So...abandoning this absurd subscription model was inevitable and obvious to almost everyone except NQ.

It's really puzzling that any indie/niche subscription MMO would launch without understanding that there's a 95%+ chance that they will have to go FTP...but then again, NQ was founded by someone that hadn't worked a single day in the industry...so of course they didn't understand how the industry works. 

FTP games are nearly all horrible.  For online games I only ever play ones with a sub now.