Dual Universe running on a device similar to a Steam Deck!

Wolfram

Hey folks! What's up? It's been a while :P

Well, today I finally got my Ayaneo Geek delivered, a handheld very similar to the Steam Deck, but slightly more powerful and running Windows 11 natively, and as a first test, I decided to see how DU would run on it (obviously not expecting much):

Zero issues with EAC or anything like that, since it's running fully natively. The only "different" thing I had to do was plug a keyboard into the USB-C port so I could type things faster and move around, since I couldn't get the joysticks to work. It's ridiculously laggy though, I couldn't measure it but I'll bet somewhere around 10 fps or so at 22W (I think I can get it up to almost twice that on charger, haven't tried though).

Anyways, kudos to the DU development team, even though we all know the game is quite heavy, just the fact it somewhat runs on such small device already shows how much optimization happens behind the scenes.

Well, that's mostly it! Now back to my small hideout, see you around someday! :)

That's interesting...but I wouldn't say DU running at 10fps is showcasing "how much optimization" is happening, lol.

That the game can physically start on the hardware isn't as impressive as it actually running on that hardware. I would struggle to classify it as "running" at these frame rates.

"Loaded the game"? Sure. I guess that's something...

1 hour ago, CptLoRes said:

That same HW is running AAA games at 60fps, so not sure how this makes DU optimized?

Running AAA games at 60fps on hardware drawing only 22W? I guess I really overdid it getting a 750W power supply ...

3 hours ago, blundertwink said:

That's interesting...but I wouldn't say DU running at 10fps is showcasing "how much optimization" is happening, lol.

Well maybe I did get a bit overexcited about it, it didn't blow up the thing or crash, so it's a start...

46 minutes ago, JayleBreak said:

Running AAA games at 60fps on hardware drawing only 22W? I guess I really overdid it getting a 750W power supply ...

Depends on what games, actually. For example, there's a few tests around of that APU running GTA V at a nice 75-80 fps on 1920x1200 resolution and 28W TDP, I would say it comes near some older mid-range GPUs such as the Radeon RX 5500 XT, which is quite nice for such a small chip. Obviously it will never come close to the latest desktop GPUs, though you definitely can plug one into an encloser with the USB4 port if you really want to XD

Personally, I've played a lot of Elite Dangerous yesterday on it and it was on a lower wattage, around 15W or so, and it ran really well, though I can't say a lot yet since I opted for the 1280x800 version as 1200p at 7" makes no sense for me (even 800p already makes text really tiny to see anyways).

Maybe closer to the weekend I'll try running it again at some higher wattage, I think it goes up to 32W stock, maybe a bit more with other tools, but I don't think it will be a really big improvement...

Were you running everything on minimal settings, with the minimum visible construct count or was this using the default settings?

None the less, it's a very interesting result, even if the environment is in space with not a lot going on in proximity. Dang, just noticed it's at a market. 😅

It's safe to say, that DU was not designed or intended to be run on portable devices of this scale and/or also not something that is currently on the drawing board as a target for us.

Fun read, thank you!

- Deckard

6 hours ago, NQ-Deckard said:

Were you running everything on minimal settings, with the minimum visible construct count or was this using the default settings?

None the less, it's a very interesting result, even if the environment is in space with not a lot going on in proximity. Dang, just noticed it's at a market. 😅

It's safe to say, that DU was not designed or intended to be run on portable devices of this scale and/or also not something that is currently on the drawing board as a target for us.

Fun read, thank you!

- Deckard

I had 30 construct limit, yes, everything else on default. If you read below, I'm sure you will get a nice surprise :D

On my second attempt I did increase power settings to maximum (33W TDP, 3A GPU), but couldn't feel much of a difference, the game still felt really slow, so I decided to go and disable every single graphic setting I could (no shadows, no volumetric clouds, no bloom, no chromatic aberration, etc) and THAT gave a quite massive improvement, with the framerates going up to around 30 fps average. It seems the main culprit on that case were dynamic shadows, since disabling it made the fps jump so much :P

Also, though that didn't see to affect much (since initial framerate was still 10 fps), this time I ran the thing while connected to my 100W charger, along with keyboard and mouse from the previous test. While I agree with Deckard, this isn't a game meant to run in such small devices, it's quite nice to see it working! Tech has definitely gone a really long way.

Here's an updated video showing it reaching the 30 fps mark:

See you all in the verse!

I did some test on Linux, for the short period of time I was able to play on it the FPS were better than on Windows 10 on the same PC.
Sadly if I want to continue the tests on Linux I will have to pay 1 month on steam.

I had some issue with EAC, but I think it could be resolved because it seems to be only a "communication" issue.