Question about negative side effects of a possible change.

Endstar

Looking for ways this could be used to exploit or cause harm over help/fun.

Net/net a lot of feedback has surfaced about how long it takes to get into fun elements of the game. Finding PvP content, flying out to friends to play together a lot of stuff is time gated without a real need. Many things like crafting have a needed time gate. This was discussed with a number of people and as a result we wanted to expand the conversation here. 

Would this type of change bring more fun or more problems?

• Provide an element (use the current res node or VR elements and adjust color) that allows for player teleportation. Works like VR, although keeps talents. 
    • Have this require a container be linked and have it consume a very small amount of warp cells. 
    • Prevent any mass movement (no inventory can be moved, just a player).
    • Have a preset 1:1 binding between two TP elements (must be setup on both sides and should not be adjustable to go nearly anywhere only the 1:1 relation). 

The idea here is the hard work of moving stuff into position is still there, although now people can easily play with friend online wherever they are at that moment if one party did the work to setup and move stuff into position.

This is an idea about how to bring fun game play into the player hands faster once they are setup and know how to play. If you have other or better ideas please share as that is the intent of this idea and the how is just best guesses atm. 

If they would at least let players transfer data via surrogate that would let me visit a showroom and ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING like purchase a blueprint. 

Schematics should be transferable to a surrogate, too. 

but seriously, at this point, who even cares about giving NQ advice or even discussing anything constructive. 

I can’t even remember the last time anyone from NQ actually interacted in anything other than an obligatory way. 

An interesting possibility would be to allow people to pilot and gun on ships while in VR.  They would have no talents, so would be less effective than they could be, but you could, for example, put 5 gunseats on a mission ship and draft people in to defend it when it gets caught in the middle of PvP space.

Similarly allowing docked constructs to be protected from being attacked (at the expense that guns don't work until they undock) would allow various types of constructs to carry defensive fighters and draft people in to pilot them when they get attacked.

I dont think people using this for missions should be a bad thing.  If people using personal teleporters is so exploited. Its not the personal teleporters that should be fixed, its the missions that should be fixed. 

I do like the idea of specific teleporters must be linked (IE not like surrogate pods that can take you to any other one).  Something like you place two Personal teleporters on one construct. Link them togeather. Now pick one of them up  (keeps dynamic properties). place it on another construct.  And a player can now teleport between those two teleporters. 

Love that it would cost warp cells (or some new form of charge).  Game mechanics like this that delete items from the game are good as there are very few resource sinks. 

Make them limited to once per hour. (you want a bunch of gunners to TP to your warship, you better have enough teleporters on board). (or even better have different tiers, IE a basic is 6 hours, Uncommon is 5 hours, Advanced is 4 hours, Rare is 3 hours and Exotic is 2 hours. 

Make them bulky and expensive.  This is a luxury item. You want to risk it on your PVP ship? Well its going to be a substantial risk. 

I dont think you should limit mass. At the same time the cost in warp cells should go up. 

There always has been a intended DU rule around not allowing instant moving of mass. Even if a small amount you should not be able to move mass instantly.

I do think all data files (BP's included) should be allowed as they have no mass and require mass/material to be used. 

On 2/12/2023 at 5:31 PM, Jinxed said:

If they would at least let players transfer data via surrogate that would let me visit a showroom and ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING like purchase a blueprint. 

Schematics should be transferable to a surrogate, too. 

2 hours ago, Endstar said:

There always has been a intended DU rule around not allowing instant moving of mass. Even if a small amount you should not be able to move mass instantly.

I do think all data files (BP's included) should be allowed as they have no mass and require mass/material to be used. 

bad form quoting my own posts, but yes....

Surrogates should be able to transfer data remotely... For, isn't a surrogate basically data? So why can't transfer Bloops... or Schematics?

And for that matter why not a few basic skills, like, say up to Level 3..... (completely pulled out of my arse, I will admit).

Sure, while I can understand why people don't want fully skilled L5 pilots to be able to spawn in to PVP battles, I still think the game would have been better if players could administer remote mining stations with at least some skills... and then fly their haulers in to lift the goods home.

The two Mining Rules of DU:

Mining is painful: like probing those little white spots that appear on your tongue.

Mining via surrogate is painful: like a man having his testicles crushed under the heel of a dominatrix.... (though admittedly this is not entirely disliked, I have heard...)