number of players connected

T3mp

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, le_souriceau said:

Seems even most die-hards starting to get it (as in meme "one year later''):

https://steamdb.info/app/2000270/charts/

RIP. If your still playing, and hyped for this mess. I'm sorry. 

As a hard-core DU player in Beta it's sad to see this come to pass. We tried to warn you. 

Now that NQ has chosen the path of letting it die on release and focusing on other thinga..., I'm okay with roasting marshmallows from the flaming corpse. 

Also, where were all the planets promised within 6 months of release? Nearly a year later and the game still doesn't have the same amount of content avalibe as it had in Beta. 

To any NQ dev/employee reading this, how is this acceptable on any level? The kickstarter rewards aren't even shipped yet and they're neck deep in another project. 

At this point Shame on NQ and their leadership for allowing this to happen. If this was an indie studio with 1-5 employees it'd be understandable... NQ isn't that. 

NQ Abandoned their game. Players only choice is to abandoned it to. If your one of the few Creators playing with voxels and love creating.... I urge you to download Blender and Unreal Engine 5.2 and stop limiting your creativity in the closed dying garden of DU.

If NQ had doubled down on development and showed that actual effort and development was happening to fix the mess that was launch.... my tone would be different. It's just hard to champion a game with a monthly sub that the developers obviously don't care about. 

1 hour ago, BlindingBright said:

If NQ had doubled down on development and showed that actual effort and development was happening to fix the mess that was launch.... my tone would be different. It's just hard to champion a game with a monthly sub that the developers obviously don't care about. 

I don't know if it's driven by huge egos that despise any form of criticism or deep insecurities, but the end result is a ubiquitous lack of respect toward playing customers...and no real effort to change their communication/PR strategy. 

I feel it leans toward arrogance...and that their next projects will invariably fail as a result. They haven't learned a single thing from developing DU. They haven't wanted to learn.

They still don't even know what "content" means in a game and rave about UGC without an ounce of actual game design understanding.

They still think games aren't games, but "content platforms" for some web3 metaverse fantasy. With their next project, they seem to be doubling down on the concepts that don't work with DU instead of taking the time to learn about game design. 

I wouldn't be shocked if their tagline, "The metaverse company" is actively discouraging for people that are considering working for them, hence all the recruitment posts...even asking for interns. 

Would anyone want to join a company that advertises themselves as such...? Would you seriously view it as a stable, long-term job...? I wouldn't trust a company as an employer that's still clinging to the corpse of the metaverse concept, especially after one failed product launch that took them 8 years! 

I do feel bad for the actual devs that NQ's leadership is so myopic and refuses to understand or acknowledge basic tenants of game design because they think they are smarter than a well-established discipline. 

4 hours ago, blundertwink said:

I don't know if it's driven by huge egos that despise any form of criticism or deep insecurities, but the end result is a ubiquitous lack of respect toward playing customers...and no real effort to change their communication/PR strategy. 

I feel it leans toward arrogance...and that their next projects will invariably fail as a result. They haven't learned a single thing from developing DU. They haven't wanted to learn.

They still don't even know what "content" means in a game and rave about UGC without an ounce of actual game design understanding.

They still think games aren't games, but "content platforms" for some web3 metaverse fantasy. With their next project, they seem to be doubling down on the concepts that don't work with DU instead of taking the time to learn about game design. 

I wouldn't be shocked if their tagline, "The metaverse company" is actively discouraging for people that are considering working for them, hence all the recruitment posts...even asking for interns. 

Would anyone want to join a company that advertises themselves as such...? Would you seriously view it as a stable, long-term job...? I wouldn't trust a company as an employer that's still clinging to the corpse of the metaverse concept, especially after one failed product launch that took them 8 years! 

I do feel bad for the actual devs that NQ's leadership is so myopic and refuses to understand or acknowledge basic tenants of game design because they think they are smarter than a well-established discipline. 

The thing about web3 is that you can make all your money upfront doing some scammy crypto-token thing and then move on without having to get the hard part right at all.

On 4/16/2023 at 10:44 PM, le_souriceau said:

https://steamdb.info/app/2000270/charts/

Wish some clowns who were like "i'm here for long haul" in 20-21 discussions be here now. Suddenly can't see them anywhere.

The reason was and is simple.

People rushed to beat the price rise on launch and they bought  12 month packages to save some cash.

People were wanting people to play so were shouting that it was the best thing since sliced bread still. Of course when their packages ran out they quietly left as they were probably feeling a bit foolish at ignoring both the warning signs from NQ and players/former players comments.

Personally I paid for my accounts from the start of Beta, but only went for a 3 month package before launch as I did not think it would take even that long to fail, even though I honestly hoped I was wrong. 

3 hours ago, MadSlapper said:

The reason was and is simple.

People rushed to beat the price rise on launch and they bought  12 month packages to save some cash.

People were wanting people to play so were shouting that it was the best thing since sliced bread still. Of course when their packages ran out they quietly left as they were probably feeling a bit foolish at ignoring both the warning signs from NQ and players/former players comments.

Personally I paid for my accounts from the start of Beta, but only went for a 3 month package before launch as I did not think it would take even that long to fail, even though I honestly hoped I was wrong. 

That's the thing, I think many of the loudest 'detractors' doomsaying the game were really just trying to warn people about the iceberg NQ was steering the ship into.... while others were too busy huffing copium in the dining hall partying with eachother to notice the impending doom... 

Once in a while someone from the dining hall will hear the yelling, pop out, and tell the person who's trying to warn everyone to 'Shut up, were partying over here!' And then they go back to the party oblivious to the iceberg and annoyed someone would be yelling during their party. 

I've always wanted DU to be the game it should have been, but at some point you gotta stop yelling and accept fate, there is a iceberg incoming and the party is nearly over. Enjoy it while it lasts. 

The game never really had a direction. When beta started there were a lot of EVE players (myself inlcuded). But we found out really quick that the game was not ready and there was basically no idea or understanding how to make territory warfare work. It was just a marketing pitch without any actual idea how to make it work.

After most EVE players left you only had builders left. Which were telling everyone the game is fine because of random buildings nobody cares about.

The game never had a real direction or idea what it wants to be. And that is the ultimate problem.

3 hours ago, PleiJades said:

The game never really had a direction. When beta started there were a lot of EVE players (myself inlcuded). But we found out really quick that the game was not ready and there was basically no idea or understanding how to make territory warfare work. It was just a marketing pitch without any actual idea how to make it work.

After most EVE players left you only had builders left. Which were telling everyone the game is fine because of random buildings nobody cares about.

The game never had a real direction or idea what it wants to be. And that is the ultimate problem.

This ^

They'd be better off just abandoning the PVP aspect, doubling down on the builders and heavy lean into the PVE aspects.  They really can't do both at this point with the amount of money they have coming in and the state of the game.  The PVP aspect is just a hinderence to player growth if not done correctly it just becomes a griefer paradise.

• 1 month later...

Btw, not like i'm working anymore on my pseudojournalism with DU, but...

Just by chance I found this (from Xsolla, payment system and also sort of partner for NQ). I'm almost sure NQ is involved as ''technical muscle'' with this, can be one of their new ''projects':

https://x.la/metasites/

Maybe you guys find this funny.

On 6/3/2023 at 4:46 PM, le_souriceau said:

Just by chance I found this (from Xsolla, payment system and also sort of partner for NQ). I'm almost sure NQ is involved as ''technical muscle'' with this, can be one of their new ''projects':

I highly, highly doubt that NQ is involved to be honest.

I'm also not sure about the persistent rumor that Xsolla is a "partner" for NQ or that someone from Xsolla is an investor -- no one has ever presented any actual evidence about that. We know plenty about actual investors and partners, I don't even know where that rumor came from. 

Regardless, here's why I don't think NQ is involved: 

The project is currently funded with an initial 100m USD

Why bother with NQ's tech, which has been proven not to scale, when you have about 4 times the funding to develop it yourself...? It would make very little sense...especially when this "partnership" between Xsolla and NQ might not be a real thing beyond a typical relationship. 

The description of the tech or its abilities doesn't make me think NQ had anything to do with it. It's UE-based, where DU isn't. It's entirely web3 based (ugh), DU isn't. 

Why else are you "almost sure" about NQ's involvement...? Seems like totally different tech from a much better funded group to me. 

On 6/5/2023 at 8:41 PM, blundertwink said:

Why else are you "almost sure" about NQ's involvement...? Seems like totally different tech from a much better funded group to me. 

1) someone still bankrolling NQ despite all failure, and its not pocket change, Xsolla known to do it with devs on all sort of predatory ''special terms'' (like recent story of zombified LiF);

2) NQ has expertise in field, that fits to XLA goals

3) i think some part of tech salvage to UE, so who knows with this dodgy meta-web3 bs.

Sure its possible i'm completely wrong! But have this gut feel : )

On 6/3/2023 at 10:46 PM, le_souriceau said:

Call me crazy, but the trees and terrain in pictures and videos on their fantasy section look like it's the unigine engine. 

Compare this to the Unigine Valley benchmark:

Edit: It's Unreal Engine 5, mentioned in the telegram link, before you join. I had made the thesis because both DU and the Unreal Engine use the Quixel Megascans.

Edited by SirJohn85
Update