number of players connected

T3mp

4 hours ago, Zeddrick said:

We should just adopt some sort of standard assumption like 'take the numbes from steamdb here:  https://steamdb.info/app/2000270/info/ and multiply by 5'

x5 bit too generous, but its anyway dead game numbers fo MMO.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't remember MMO in gaming history that ever recovered from concurrent low hundreds and lived long and happly. Even low thousands usually goner numbers.

so somewhere between 100 and 500. But i have to agree with @le_souriceau probably closer to 100. you can now also really see holes dropping around markets and other locations and the number of left over ships on ports and markets other then M6 are reduced to about 0 to 5.

4 hours ago, le_souriceau said:

x5 bit too generous, but its anyway dead game numbers fo MMO.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't remember MMO in gaming history that ever recovered from concurrent low hundreds and lived long and happly. Even low thousands usually goner numbers.

I believe  Vendetta Online might qualify. No one I've asked has even heard of it, and its been around for 20 years and is still being actively developed (currently FTP but was subscription up to a few years ago). I should add that I never really played it but did try a free trial many years ago (decided on Eve Online instead).

1 hour ago, JayleBreak said:

I believe  Vendetta Online might qualify. No one I've asked has even heard of it, and its been around for 20 years and is still being actively developed (currently FTP but was subscription up to a few years ago). I should add that I never really played it but did try a free trial many years ago (decided on Eve Online instead).

Nice one, actually! And interesting game from gaming history perspective. But I guess their running costs likely less, then NQ ones with DU?

1 hour ago, Neirin said:

Afaik, most players aren't using steam (most that I interact with, anyway) so I would hesitate to draw any conclusions from there.

Its true, that most of methodology here not solid (beyond steam data), but guessing/extrapolation game.

We can also use this:

https://twitchtracker.com/games/493826

Twitch views usually reasonably correlate to game population/time spend in (question only by what formula for every particular game). 

2 hours ago, Neirin said:

Afaik, most players aren't using steam (most that I interact with, anyway) so I would hesitate to draw any conclusions from there.

My point here is we're just guessing because NQ won't tell us the real numbers.  But if we all agree on one consistent guess then either that guess is a high estimate or it's lower than the real numbers.  In the latter case someone will probably correct us.

I think it's unlikely that if, say, there are 100 players on steam at any given moment that there are also 2,000 logged in without steam.  for me the idea that if the game is peaking under 150 on steam it is peaking at under 1,000 including non-steam sounds about right.  We know that there have only ever been under 25,000 unique characters subscribed (and many of those will now be unsubbed, etc) so 1,000 concurrent is probably between 5% and 10% of the whole player base logging in all at once.

Feel free to suggest a better guestimate ...

9 minutes ago, le_souriceau said:

Nice one, actually! And interesting game from gaming history perspective. But I guess their running costs likely less, then NQ ones with DU?

Its true, that most of methodology here not solid (beyond steam data), but guessing/extrapolation game.

We can also use this:

https://twitchtracker.com/games/493826

Twitch views usually reasonably correlate to game population/time spend in (question only by what formula for every particular game). 

I'd argue that while high twitch numbers do indicate success of a sort low ones might just indicate that twitch isn't really relevant to the people who play DU.  I'm one of those, I'm not really interested in twitch at all but have been playing MMOs for decades.  I think DU is the sort of game which is going to appeal more to the long-time gamers so it might very well be that a sizeable portion of the DU player base simply don't care about twitch at all.

1. Games that grow organically always grow on Steam if available there, too. There's many examples of MMOs with stand-alone clients that reflect this trend, from FF14 to STO. If a game is showing churn on Steam, it's very hard to argue that their launcher is showing the opposite trend. 

2. Games that are growing always have growing social media followers. DU's reddit hasn't moved beyond ~8.4k subs in a very long time. It briefly became 8.5k after launch, but that didn't last long. Even here, you can see the views for posts are far, far, far lower than early in the forum's history. 

3. Growing games have development activity! DU's version of this is a list of (rather small) changes with no timelines. Months after release, very little has changed...looking at the last year of dev, the pace is glacial -- far too slow to combat churn in any universe. 

Yes, we will never know the game's true stats....but saying "DU isn't growing" is more than just random conjecture -- it's based on more than just one source of data as evidence.

Regardless, no matter how you slice the math...the game doesn't have enough subs to sustain itself, especially with this pace of dev. 

3 hours ago, blundertwink said:

Even here, you can see the views for posts are far, far, far lower than early in the forum's history. 

Well, forum always was a bubble of somewhat extreame, lets say, opinions. Not very representetive of average Joe.

Yet with time more and more even of these people loosing sustainability of their arguments (or interest to repeat them). Time and state of game kinda answered most of questions. 

this forum is mostly used for discussions between players in a generally  over time more toxic way, from light to heavy. and frankly that in time grows acustomed to players who once entered here anti- toxic. Adding to that the general feeling NQ has a specific group of people/ players it listens too and a large sum they blindly ignore since day one it is no wonder the forum lost meaning over time. frankly most posts these days are repeats of posts last year and the year before, arguments are the same now as pre alpha and nothing in the basics of the intend of the game actually changes, unless its limited ofc.

6 hours ago, Aaron Cain said:

... frankly most posts these days are repeats of posts last year and the year before

Yeah, its like small space bar in middle of nowhere, where same dozen old tired aliens discussing same shit over and over again, grabbing cheap drinks with their tentacles or pincers. Events that happened to long ago or will never happen. None of this really matter.

Bit of this existentialism literature vibes.

The fact that you can now safely and comfortably land on MP6, the only active market in the game, is basically end of days, as far as this game is concerned.

🤣 I very, very much doubt this game has exceeded 1000 average players over any 24 hour period in total since the first month of release.

No way the servers could handle four entire figures without falling over and choking.

On 1/31/2023 at 7:08 AM, Jinxed said:

Did you happen to go visit the IC spaceport during the Chinese New Year weekend event? the place was hopping, and lag was minimal. Thousands of ships.

Lets look at numbers we actually know,  instead of feelings.

Allioth had a peak claimed territory count of 18,100 back at the end of november.  It has 14,710 today.  Although in that same period of time Jago went from 1478 to 1765 today, Same for Teoma.  Madis and Thades have had up and downs but are about the same.  Have not tracked the moons.  But so far 22,880 accounts have been created and landed ingame.  Over 200 new accounts have landed in the last week alone. 

Only 19 percent of steam players have played more than 3 hours.  15% of steam players have crashed a ship. 

So what does all this mean? Well these numbers mean steam players dont stick around to play the game. No wonder the steam player base is so low. Although I suspect some of this might be, you cannot resub on the steam page. So if you sign up on steam. Once your time is up you have to buy from NQ or that other site, and I suspect most dont know about that other site. Which means you gotta jump through more hoops. And I am sure several players have stopped playing because they cannot be bothered with the resub process. 

I can agree that NQ does as abysmal job of player retention. And was adamite about keeping the bot orders for T1. New players need a source of income. Hopefully PVE brings that to us, as that will help with new player retention. But it just seemed odd for them to have so many negative patches at launch. 

18 hours ago, RugesV said:

Lets look at numbers we actually know,  instead of feelings.

Allioth had a peak claimed territory count of 18,100 back at the end of november.  It has 14,710 today.  Although in that same period of time Jago went from 1478 to 1765 today, Same for Teoma.  Madis and Thades have had up and downs but are about the same.  Have not tracked the moons.  But so far 22,880 accounts have been created and landed ingame.  Over 200 new accounts have landed in the last week alone. 

Critical part is ratio of accounts vs players. Sure, its less then was in Beta with some insane numbers, but it safe to assume, that older, still engaged players (who are basis of surviving population) often running 2+ accounts.

So, here we again go to realm of feelings, but, it seems game have several thousands more or less active players. Who provide concurrent of several hundreds.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, T3mp said:

lol 64 players. this game is already dead

It will only be dead when you and the many others like you actually give up on it.  You are here and even though you seem to be one of those who wants to help push it over the edge by putting others off playing you clearly haven't walked away yet and neither have many others.  People are just waiting and if there's a turnaround they might still come back.

When I go 3 months without seeing a single 'game is dead' type of post here, on reddit or on the discord is when I'll think that the game actually is dead.  I'm an infrequent visitor these days but I see them all the time right now.

1 hour ago, Zeddrick said:

It will only be dead when you and the many others like you actually give up on it.  You are here and even though you seem to be one of those who wants to help push it over the edge by putting others off playing you clearly haven't walked away yet and neither have many others.  People are just waiting and if there's a turnaround they might still come back.

When I go 3 months without seeing a single 'game is dead' type of post here, on reddit or on the discord is when I'll think that the game actually is dead.  I'm an infrequent visitor these days but I see them all the time right now.

A weird attitude. Forum posts, however, do not pay for the costs of the server. Despite a build event on Steam that ran for a week, not a single increase could be heard on the Steam charts.

3 hours ago, SirJohn85 said:

A weird attitude. Forum posts, however, do not pay for the costs of the server. Despite a build event on Steam that ran for a week, not a single increase could be heard on the Steam charts.

Sure.  Agree with all that.  But forum posts don't actually run up server costs either.

The point I'm trying to make is that if you're here complaining or just talking down the game then the game still has you.  And there are a lot of people in that category.  Look at the numbers right after the wipe -- most of those people were bitching on the forums for months before and not playing and then suddenly wipe and a load of them came back and played.

So long as the game still lives in enough peoples' heads then it can't be a dead game.  And the number of people making 'dead game' posts, ironically, shows that the game still lives on in quite a few heads, even if it does so rent-free because they aren't playing any more.