Idea: Get Rid of/change Boring Mini Games

DBxWanderer

Please take another look at the Mining Calibration Mini Game. I don't mean to be preachy but some content actually "hurt" the game and is better off removed. If the mini game was played once a week, that could make it worth it. As it is right now, no one wants to fly to each remote location in order to skittle mine / calibrate *every day*. If it was weekly, then it would be worth the trip. But in general as things are now, this is just not fun. Consider revamping the process please!

Careful what you wish for... NQ's version of removing the mini game would be literally to just have the miners mine at minimum speed without the minigame calibration boosts.

Basically as it is now if you press escape and ignore the game.

10 minutes ago, Jinxed said:

Not if you don't have rights to harvest on the other tile. Then half of your ore is inaccessible.

Ore spawns under the mining unit now, regardless of the calibration spot.

They changed it quite a while ago.

Honestly, they could just make it a bonus amount rolled into a units production over 72h. Like 200l/h on a 100% cal, with max talents.

Skittles don’t respawn, so harvesting is kind of a really specific skill that could disappear and no one would care, I think.

On 1/28/2023 at 9:19 AM, MrTenneal said:

My problem with the mini game is that it spawns the 100% on the VERY EDGE of the border... 

Yeah, having the high-density spot be halfway outside the search area, and in the very corner, is really frustrating.

I can calibrate units that are mining low value ore all day and find the spot in a few seconds.  But as soon as i try to mine a T3 unit the spot ends up hiding in the corner.

Keep in mind that NQ's design lead is someone whose career has mostly focused on simple arcade and retro games. They hadn't worked on an MMO before NQ. 

Their last design credit before DU was a Trivial Pursuit video game adaptation...some of their design credits are for games that you can't even download anymore!

Don't get me wrong, they are definitely very experienced in the world of designing retro and arcade games, and I'm not trying to say such products are "easy" to design for, but I don't think this experience has translated very well to an MMO. 

In general, people tend to stick with what they know...so if anything, you can probably expect more mini-games...

Edited by blundertwink

NQ does not improve, it limits.  Unless your asking something PvP, then they listen. if you say something about that your a whiner and a victim. Community toxic, gameplay dead.

Popcorn is good, although Salty.

PSST, you dont have to play the mini game.  And you can skip allot of the transitions by clicking the box.  Then once you click Start quickly press ESC.  This will exit out of the mini game without a confirmation window appearing.  It will increase your calibration percent by 35%. (no bonus ore).  This can be done in VR every 5 days. Basically allowing 1 person to calibrate 34 MU's every 5 days. With a couple hour grace period. image.thumb.png.bc41106ce9d5747ca27754338a0426c1.png

On 1/28/2023 at 8:19 AM, MrTenneal said:

My problem with the mini game is that it spawns the 100% on the VERY EDGE of the border... 

will try and get a screen shot tomorrow when I do callibrations. but you can see the hotspots under the edge without surveying. 

On 1/28/2023 at 8:19 AM, MrTenneal said:

As you can see in the below picture. at the red arrow you can see the edge is brighter. The ore is 100% beneath that spot. image.png.28aa370d23dfe6f4a4d07385fabbdb19.png

And even if its close to it you can still find it Look at the second picture. its fairly light by the edge I am not 100% sure its right there. but chances are thats where its at. image.thumb.png.4571ac961afbb1f2e727cca655291c5c.png

6 hours ago, RugesV said:

As you can see in the below picture. at the red arrow you can see the edge is brighter. The ore is 100% beneath that spot. image.png.28aa370d23dfe6f4a4d07385fabbdb19.png

And even if its close to it you can still find it Look at the second picture. its fairly light by the edge I am not 100% sure its right there. but chances are thats where its at. image.thumb.png.4571ac961afbb1f2e727cca655291c5c.png

OMG, that is impressive you noticed that detail.   I'm going to have to clean my glasses off now.   Thank you for this tip. 

7 hours ago, RugesV said:

As you can see in the below picture. at the red arrow you can see the edge is brighter. The ore is 100% beneath that spot. 

That's crazy.  I can't believe i never noticed that before.

Excellent tip.  Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...