Steam Base Builder Fest

blundertwink

In case anyone missed it, NQ is announcing a Steam-related event along with a discount for new players: 

There's only ~100 people playing via Steam right now and it hasn't broken 200 concurrent players in a while (down from 400-500 just a few months ago) -- so I appreciate that NQ is at least trying to attract more players on the largest PC gaming market.

I think it is also wise to promote it with this specific event.

If players join DU expecting PvP or PvE (even if that one new mission drops), they'll be very sad. At least this time NQ is marketing something that's actually up their alley: building bases.

I personally think they'll have slightly more success marketing it like this compared to doing make-believe trailers that set a very wrong expectation about the game and its "combat".

Granted, I'm not sure 20% off one month's sub is going to be interpreted as a great deal...and I'm not optimistic about retention considering the state of the game and NQ's development velocity. 

Do you think DU will see a bump in it's Steam stats because of this promo? Further...will they actually retain new users?

lol they set the original price to 12.99 trying to use the 9 psychological trick, i would have discounted at 23.1% to get to 9.99.

actually i would have been honest and set the price at 13 then discounted to 10

After a few days, I don't see any relevant bumps in Steam's metrics yet. 🤷‍♂️ 

There's still <200 people playing during peak, with the count continuing to trend downward. 

This underscores how hard it can be to get leverage on Steam when your product has a combination of bad reviews, few purchasers, and not great conversion rates. 

It might be somewhere in their promos, but few people are actually seeing it...and a 20% discount maybe isn't enough to compete with other games in this sale that have much better reviews. 

At least NQ is advertising the game somewhat honestly (the claim about making cities made me laugh) compared to trailers with fake action sequences...but we'll see how the weekend goes. It would be a bit sad if NQ's one effort to grow their Steam users yields no results at all, but so far it hasn't.  

I could find it by applying the "MMO" tag to filter, and even then it's a bit far down the list (just above some DLCs lol). 

This goes to show how challenging it is to adopt the "release it now, fix it later" attitude (in general, but especially with a subscription game).

If you don't do well on release, Valve will bury your game deep into pages few people see...and those that do see it will be greeted with "mixed" reviews, further tanking conversion.

Valve showing it to fewer people means you don't have nearly as much opportunity to improve your stats, but you will struggle to improve your metrics without more views...so it's hard to see how DU can grow without some major marketing push outside of Steam. 

Especially since this promo was a great fit for DU....and not as popular as some of Steam's bigger sales, so a bit less competition.