Idea: Abandon Inactive Tiles for Unsubbed accounts After two weeks.

DBxWanderer

21 minutes ago, Yoarii said:

Please tell me, if you've given up on the game and have nothing else to say than "it is dead", why even bother to post here? That's a serious question, no bantering, no trolling.

Why people post is truly not relevant.

The content of the post and the topic being discussed is what matters, not who is posting it or why.

If you disagree with an opinion, articulate the reason you disagree.

If you disagree with a person (or the motivations you believe they have), that's really not relevant to anything at all.

Frankly, it's none of your business why anyone posts here, it's an irrelevant and trolly question by its nature because it's about a person's motivations rather than the their actual opinions...the purpose here is to talk about the game or at least to discuss some topic, not to play inquisitor and demand to know why a person has articulated an opinion (vs. actually responding to its merits). 

4 hours ago, blundertwink said:

That NQ didn't understand how subscriptions work is part of my point -- trying to make DU fit into a monetization model that doesn't work for the core design is a part of NQ's many problems.

Changing the timing doesn't even really solve this problem, the game still can't scale indefinitely -- it's almost like making property ownership a core part of a persistent MMO is a bad idea unless they scale the property available along with the number of players. Adding planets doesn't do this because new players don't start on new planets. 

Ok, that is a great argument- you are right. 

What where the proposals from the community? I was not part of alpha, beta phase. Any good links? 

I really like this game very much, that’s why I wrap my head around this. 

1 hour ago, Nemezir said:

What where the proposals from the community? I was not part of alpha, beta phase. Any good links? 

It's really hard to find them in all this history, but here's a post from 2020 talking about this issue -- although in the context of resources scarcity more than just tile scarcity. That said, it's really the same issue (scarcity of land). 

In the end, for a game where property is a core part of the experience, the only way to scale it (IMO) is to add land as you add players OR change the fundamental reason why some squares aren't as good as others.

If the core issue is that new players have to hike way too far to get to a market, change how the market works...e.g. people have been asking for player-built markets for a long, long time now. 

The core issue is not the market. 

the core issue is that there is no free t2+ tile anymore cutting new players like me off from solid t2+ supply. 

Again I don’t want it on a silver plate. 
i was scanning for three weeks with two scanners and there is no t2+ tile.

And I am not a “casual” gamer but the effort is too high for zero progress. That begun to bother me, when I was standing in front of a lot inactive advanced and uncommon mining units. 

As soon a new player has established T1 supply and industry the progression to t2 is impossible. 

Then you only have Roid mining or missions running for cash to buy higher ore. So new players have to “work” while the landlords farm their rigs once in a while and scratch their head why no one does PVP.

And the some of the “PVP round table folks” whine about that there are no targets and ask NQ to cut income options in safe zone and NQ-employees are cutting the mission from 180k to 160k, making speed limits and now we even should not drop our cargo anymore. 

my personal plan was to establish some solid t1 and t2 supply with tiles for almost afk ore generation, establish a little ship-element industry and have a container full of ship parts and BP’s to replace losses when I have time to “play” and step into PVP. Probably whining that there are no targets 😉

anyway, still stick to it and see what’s coming. 

20 hours ago, Yoarii said:

Please tell me, if you've given up on the game and have nothing else to say than "it is dead", why even bother to post here? That's a serious question, no bantering, no trolling.

Because I'm a hopeless optimist.

Tiles should never be locked/kept for free. Only exception: one HQ tile for same 90days, only when:

- an account is inactive

- the tile was active for a month at least

- there are a lot of elements or voxels on it. Means it is actually an HQ tile, where a player have his factory or/and architectural buildings.

All other tiles should be paid weekly 500k. If not paid they go inactive, with -500k balance. After another week they become free, if not paid 1M at least, to restore positive balance of 500k.

Why? Because tiles are limited resource, and should not be kept away from the game and other players for free. The only way to hold a tile should be 500k/weeky with very little exception for saving HQ, that is hard to move or disassemble/reassemble.

In whole I think, that current resource mining design with tiles rent is bad and should be remade completely differently, closer to old times SWG mining. But this is a lot of work, and I doubt will be done ever, or any soon.

Edited by Dixiii

On 1/27/2023 at 11:12 PM, blundertwink said:

Frankly, it's none of your business why anyone posts here, it's an irrelevant and trolly question...

Its actually good question, I think. And aswer is pretty simple.

Most of DU attraction initialy was an idea, "potential". NQ obviosuly failed to deliver (so actual game they produced less important). But everyone here paid some money to them to try. So, I guess, its totally fair we can stay to discuss what gone wrong or observe last agony twitching with bitter-funny, ironic comments and so on.

The only way I could see the 90 days shrinking is if there were some kind of auction system in place where players bid on the plot and all proceeds go to the player/org who lost the tile, or something.

It IS kind of annoying seeing a nice plot with virtually nothing on it sit there counting down from 90 days. I don’t care about your M container and two basic mining units, I just want your sweet ass plot.

On 1/26/2023 at 7:42 AM, Jinxed said:

Two week, 28 days tops. I know for a fact people are sitting on tiles with alts burning one dac every four months. 

That does seem like an abuse of the system. Perhaps the countdown to abandonment should, rather than resetting upon resubbing, start counting up (after maybe 15 days or so).

So I drop sub for 89 days -> eat a dac -> timer stays at 1 day until abandonment for 15 days, then starts counting in reverse (so you'll have 16 days when your 1 month expires to get a new sub). Won't have much of an effect on normal gameplay, especially if you're subbed for 3 months at a time and actively playing, but will keep HQ alt spammers from being able to cheaply hold tiles.

On 2/1/2023 at 1:11 AM, Dixiii said:

Tiles should never be locked/kept for free. Only exception: one HQ tile for same 90days, only when:

- an account is inactive

- the tile was active for a month at least

- there are a lot of elements or voxels on it. Means it is actually an HQ tile, where a player have his factory or/and architectural buildings.

All other tiles should be paid weekly 500k. If not paid they go inactive, with -500k balance. After another week they become free, if not paid 1M at least, to restore positive balance of 500k.

Why? Because tiles are limited resource, and should not be kept away from the game and other players for free. The only way to hold a tile should be 500k/weeky with very little exception for saving HQ, that is hard to move or disassemble/reassemble.

In whole I think, that current resource mining design with tiles rent is bad and should be remade completely differently, closer to old times SWG mining. But this is a lot of work, and I doubt will be done ever, or any soon.

You know a game is fundamentally broken when even though there’s only 100 active players, resources are at a premium.

3 hours ago, Jinxed said:

You know a game is fundamentally broken when even though there’s only 100 active players, resources are at a premium.

Reason is ultra simple. Most resources gained via passive afk ownership, that cannot be contested any way. For MMO loop/balance its like madness.