Planet rewamp and releasing skins u cant even buy

J0hnnyB

Guys, i heard they upgrading and improving  and spending houndreds dev hours into the planets again. This great news because i cant wait to have a nicer view when im calibrating my mining units. Also amazing marketing strategy by NQ to release skins but make so noone can buy them except the few nerds that supported kickstarter 10y ago.  i think NQ stratedy is use sub money to support dev of skins instead of have skins support the game.  They might be on to something here if u ask me

IKR... houndreds and houndreds of dev hours on reWAMPing... Time to release the dogs of war on the development server stack, for sure!

But seriously, though, these skins were KS / Early backer rewards and were likely created to fend of any legal challenges rather than improve game experience.

Also, losing the Alpha facial glory hole was a personal desire of mine.

On 1/21/2023 at 8:18 AM, J0hnnyB said:

i think NQ stratedy is use sub money to support dev of skins instead of have skins support the game.  They might be on to something here if u ask me

Huh...?

I don't know why anyone would suggest that a subscription based model is actually working for NQ. Mathematics says that subs only work at-scale, and even then they only work for a limited period of time. 

Consider a company like Netflix. They have more subs than any MMO will (>230 million) and they recognize that churn is inevitable. 

The only way to combat churn is via constant content. Why do you think WoW has 300 expansions...? Why Netflix is willing to spend so much on new content?

They know that every month, 10-20% of users will cancel their plan -- the only way to grow is to add enough content to re-engaged lapsed users or attract new ones. 

The rate of updates for DU is not nearly, nearly fast or deep enough to combat churn -- especially for an MMO, which players can easily invest more time into than any other entertainment sub product. 

We see this spelled out in the game's stats. Average pops today are ~20% of what they were at launch just 4 months ago...and that number was never high enough to be scalable, anyway. 

I don't think NQ is "on to something"...I don't see any evidence that their monetization "strategy" is  sustainable.

On 1/21/2023 at 5:18 AM, J0hnnyB said:

Guys, i heard they upgrading and improving  and spending houndreds dev hours into the planets again. This great news because i cant wait to have a nicer view when im calibrating my mining units. Also amazing marketing strategy by NQ to release skins but make so noone can buy them except the few nerds that supported kickstarter 10y ago.  i think NQ stratedy is use sub money to support dev of skins instead of have skins support the game.  They might be on to something here if u ask me

Pretty sure 'you' would feel different if you had been waiting 3 years for those Kickstarter perks. If one didn't eventually get them, one would likely be screaming bloody murder.

7 hours ago, blundertwink said:

I don't know

That is correct. Neither do I. I do think it is safe to assume that some folks in NQ management look at the numbers quite closely and care very much about maintaining their company. I doubt that our speculation will all of a sudden make them go, "Well damn! profit?! why didn't I think of that?"