Will DU ever be optimized? Can you please fix the LAG?

Sethioz

It does not matter how powerful your gfx card is.

If the render pipeline is not optimized and lacking proper GPU fencing, it will lag almost regardless of which gfx card you have.

And that is why game devs spend countless hours optimizing the 3d engine, regardless of any content that may or may not have been made yet.

Or alternatively they use pre-made engines from dedicated game engine companies (unity, unreal etc.), where hundreds of engineers do nothing but optimize the code all year long.

17 hours ago, Sethioz said:

there's no such thing as running good or bad code better, bad code runs bad and good runs good. reason why 2060 gives better performance, is due the architecture probably. which again points to bad / lazy developing. devs never bothered to test on multiple architectures, so even tho 2060 is a lot weaker than 1080, it might actually run DU better as DU devs only wrote it for newer architecture.

There very definitely is!  And not just on GPUs.  I've written plenty of bad code which ran better in some places than others and then tidied it up and optimised it and the gap closed.  A good example is AMD vs Intel (a few years ago now) where the Intels were a lot better at running bad code than the AMDs but after optimising the code the gap would close.  Anything that used a 'REP' instruction would do all kinds of bad things for AMD but not intel.

In GPU terms your bad code might make too many accesses accross PCI.  One generation might do those 5x faster than the other, so you see it more.  Then when you tidy it up and take those out completely the older gen catches up a bit.

But you are right about the newer architecture thing, that happens too.  They may be accidentally relying on something that doesn't happen on the older cards and profiling on all the different families is the only way to find some of that.

• 4 weeks later...

... recent update has made lag even worse, WHAT IS IT with nowday devs who make games run worse?

in early access i got 60fps in 1440p on same PC, now i barely get 50fps in 1080p, yet graphics look exactly same as they were in early access. i even compared it to my older videos i made, i see no significant changes.

i only used to lag near markets that had lot of stuff. in fact i just looked back at my very first DU video and i said i had about 30fps on market (spawn place) that had FAR MORE vehicles than market 06 on alioth currently has, yet i currently get like 15-20fps at best near 06. ..and don't forget that i used to play DU in 1440p, now i'm forced to use 1080p, because in 1440p i get 5 - 30fps.

it's such a shame, i'm already getting tired of this game, because i can't enjoy playing with extreme lag.

to further add to this and prove that code is broken, there was another player who plays via some streaming service that uses RTX 4080, and we both get frame drops in same places near my base for no reason at all. my base is about 35km from 06, but there's nothing in close proximity, just my own base that has barely anything. i have 5 ships and 2 L core bases that barely have anything on them.

while in other hand ... i recently started playing forza horizon 5 again, i run it in 4k (3840x2160) with AMD fidelity upscaler on "quality", which means it renders it slightly below 4k, so it's between 1440p and 2160p, most settings are on ULTRA, such as particle effects, environmental effects, deformable terrain ..etc. only things i have cranked down on, are shadows (because shadows are FPS killer in any game) and some other non-essential stuff, such as AA, because AA is not needed when running in higher resolutions, it has basically no visual improvements at all. and guess what? I get solid 60fps at all times (apart from certain menus on some reason, because its badly optimized, but who cares about menus). when playing, i get solid 60fps, even when in intense places, like in a city with many other vehicles around. same goes for dirt, dust and smoke effects, it never drops my framerate below 60.

AND get a load of this -- my GPU usage is only about 40-95%. FH5 has nice feature that shows FPS + GPU usage when enabled, so i can constantly see my GPU usage and it very rarely goes over 90%, it happens in some rare occasions.

and anyone who has played FH5, knows how good graphics it has (if you haven't played, just look up some images or videos that are focused on showing off graphics and not gameplay). cars are very realistic and detailed, environment looks nice and effects are good too! that's what i call OPTIMIZATION!

in fact i would put FH5 in top 10 best optimized games ever made. DU devs, please follow their example and optimize the game.

Edited by Sethioz

11 hours ago, Sethioz said:

in early access i got 60fps in 1440p on same PC, now i barely get 50fps in 1080p, yet graphics look exactly same as they were in early access. i even compared it to my older videos i made, i see no significant changes.

They added and now with 1.3 swapped the anti-cheat system, and anti-cheat/DRM is known to degrade performance so that might be one reason. And when you combine this with the obviously not well optimized graphics system you have in DU then.. well.

11 hours ago, Jinxed said:

The servers are overloaded due to the influx of new players.

this makes no sense, other players can't cause graphics lag on my screen lol ... please learn how computers work.

12 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

They added and now with 1.3 swapped the anti-cheat system, and anti-cheat/DRM is known to degrade performance so that might be one reason. And when you combine this with the obviously not well optimized graphics system you have in DU then.. well.

this could be the reason, but i have never seen EAC lag games. most games nowdays use EAC and its not known to cause lag. OUTRIDERS used to have EAC, but they removed it and i didn't notice any change in framerate or GPU usage at all. i don't remember all the games by name, but there have been few games in past that implemented EAC and again no change in performance.

it doesn't even make sense, because EAC would use RAM and CPU, not GPU. it has no graphics, its background process.

however one odd thing i noticed, is that my GPU is no longer under 100% load. it was fluxuating between 70-100%, while my framerate is constantly 30-50fps. i have no bottlenecks on my PC, i checked RAM and CPU too. RAM is about 80% and CPU is 40-80% depending on what i'm doing.

so clearly they've messed something up bad ... which brings me back to my original point: BAD OPTIMIZATION.

sign of WORST optimization is when your PC has no bottlenecks, yet framerate is low.

I have not read most of this since its a large amount of text and I am making short flights and need to watch my speed right now. However, my computer is not the best will run all the latest games I have played (at mid ish settings). So I have DU in lowest quality (Just about) and it runs fine for the most part, except when I am somewhere with a lot of constructs (Like a popular market) and this settles down once they have all loaded in, though its not perfect in a busy area. The only real change I made to make the game more stable is I set the NVIDA control panel to limit the frames to 60 fps, which seemed to make a massive difference in Beta (Not sure if that is still needed but why fix what is already working). The other thing that worked in beat was turning of the trajectory mode (press x until they are off - Again not sure if this issue still needed but I do it out of habit now once I am in an atmosphere).

As for 'excuses' for DU game issues. To my knowledge there is only one that matters, which is they simply have a small development team and need more time to get everything finished and in game. During Alpha / Beta there was a huge list of green lit idea's from the community and many of these are yet to enter the game (assuming these are still part of the intended finished product).

From my perspective I am not too worried about the current performance of the game nor the missing items as this is an MMO, which means as long as there is a player base the developers will keep adding the missing / new content for us. As is done in all MMO's. The important thing I think is to keep letting them know what is and is not working in a constructive way along with any suggestions we have since given time and hopefully success with the player base the game will evolve and become much more like people were hoping in Alpha, Beta and release. (Personally I just enjoy building the ships at present though I actually hope to try some PVP at some point - yes still on DU my bucket list).

On 2/26/2023 at 8:09 AM, ADCOne said:

From my perspective I am not too worried about the current performance of the game nor the missing items as this is an MMO, which means as long as there is a player base the developers will keep adding the missing / new content for us. As is done in all MMO's.

Okay, but there is no playerbase.

After 5 months, what content has been added that really improves the game? New skins? One single PvE mission when the typical MMO contains a wealth of PvE content? In reality, the last actual new feature was what...space "territory war" with Alien Cores? Yawn. 

Every shred of evidence there is suggests that DU's player base is not growing, it's shrinking steadily or at best about what it was during the end of closed beta. Yes, Steam stats are real life...but also the complete lack of social growth across any channel, poor reviews, and simply not seeing anyone in the freakin' game lol. 

They won't be adding new content and improving the game as it continues to fail as a commercial product.

Maybe they will keep stringing some players along with minimal updates pushed out by the few devs they have working on DU compared to their other projects, but there's no way at all this product is commercially viable. 

So...the performance is what it is and it will only likely get worse, not better...because that's how reality works when the product fails to get customers and therefore has fewer dev resources and less hardware. 

On 2/28/2023 at 2:59 PM, blundertwink said:

Okay, but there is no playerbase.

Based on what I am seeing in game that is simply not true, I come across people now and again (Out and about, not at market 6), which did not happen in beta most of the time (admittedly I was not scanning in beta as much as I now). Also I am easily selling the ore I am producing to pay for my taxes, which saves me having to do the challenges every day, which is what I started out doing. Also I see a huge number of tiles still having taxes paid, which suggests people are maintaining them, many of which I would not have taken unless you have a large factory, requiring T1 ore. So someone is doing something.

I will stipulate that prices are higher now because there are not as many factories producing goods and there is less ore in the game based on what I can find where I have been scanning. Certainly the moon ore values have been drastically reduced since finding ore on Moons during beta took a hour ish, now you can make nearly 1000 scans and find about five tiles containing only trace amounts (These figures reflect how many scans I have made on one moon already).

Essentially I am still confident there is a player base and they are active. I will not speculate if this player base is enough for DU to expand etc. only that it gives me hope it is possible.

ADCOne

How many tiles are still in use by people that rushed out to top up their game time before the price increase?

In my case I had topped up my accounts before release on 27th September 2022 and the price increase. I topped up by an extra 3 months on them, I am sure a few topped up by 6 months or a year to save a few bob. 

I wonder how many tiles will still be getting topped up after the 27th September 2023 for example and will still have active players running them. 

That is going to be a measure of the games death or not, rather than counting people using up their DACs and/or prepaid game time.