So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Novean-61657

I would like to thank NQ for being reverse-toxic enough to finally break through my DU addiction and make me quit! I can't thank you enough, another game/publisher will also really appreciate the €500/year that will go to them instead of NQ...

I've been unhappy with DU (and specifically NQ) for a while now. The 180 degree turnarounds on things they announce/say in an official capacity, the wipe... My gawd the wipe! The wipe announcement! The 5+ months of 0 motivation due to the wipe announcement... The talent points after wipe. The 2.5 years of downgrading DU instead of introducing new interesting stuff... But even with the lack of actual enjoyment and the constant feeling that all I've build in DU will be taken away again, I was still here, probably because I was addicted enough to DU to keep coming back. I've done the asteroid mining thing again and that was kinda disappointing with the 5000L-6000L nodes, but maybe if I gitgut the experience might be more enjoyable (like in the old days)... Every time I need to extend my subscription I think more and more about the option of quitting, but I can't do that because reasons... (addict reasoning)

But this morning I got a ticket from NQ support... But I didn't submit a ticket and the email I initially got wasn't clear about it either (system not designed for reverse tickets). So I log in and I see the claim that my Airdock at Alioth Market 6 is above the 1000m limit. And I get a REALLY negative feeling, not specifically because I need to move my airdock to a lower altitude, the person at NQ that submitted the ticket to me could probably do that for me (and they can, I just need to move the dynamic cores)... But because of, why the heck could I deploy that there in the first place? That 1000m height limit didn't feel correct, I thought it was 1000m above ground level (but that was wrong as well). Why didn't that 'feel' correct? Because we get blasted with a TON of conflicting information all over the place and I loose track of what the 'current' rules are... So I went digging, this is what I found:

The 1000m height limit was posted during an Ask Aphelia sessions (by NQ-Deckard) and it was 1000m above sea level (5th of August):

Then we have NQ-Deckard's announcement (23rd of November):

"We will allow these constructs to remain for two weeks beyond the implementation of the new height restriction system."

Patch notes (24th of November) state:
https://www.dualuniverse.game/launcher/patch/release-1014
"Alioth: 1300m"

The 'new height restriction system' hasn't been implemented yet, so structures placed should be OK (according to NQ-Deckard) two weeks after the 'new height restriction system' has been implemented, which again, it isn't.

Even IF that did happen in the last two weeks, that was never mentioned in the patch notes, heck the whole issue was not mentioned in patch notes known issues section. The patch notes actually say that the limit is 1300m (which I'm still above) and not a 1000m as the support person mentions and wasn't changed in later patch notes, it's also the most recent height limit that NQ mentions and I could find.

The issue for me is not the having to move the dynamic constructs so the support person can move it to the proper height. But that this isn't the issue, it's the issue that I have to dig through all kinds of NQ publiced information and even the lastest info there (1300m) doesn't conform with what the support person is saying (1000m). That says a couple of things to me: It's a mess internally at NQ as they can't even coordinate among themselves the proper values that things should be and they can't communicate with us correctly either (known issues), as I was under the assumption this issue was fixed a while back. So that was pretty much the straw that was breaking the camels back for me. But maybe I'll calm down before tonight, the deadline to extend the subscriptions for two of my accounts....

Then I get the support ticket back... Which it short, doesn't address my issues and pretty much states "Thank you for you detailed response, it's appreciated. Now you have 24 hours to move those dynamic constructs away or we have to delete (the static constructs?) as they violate the rules. Thank you."... Yeah, I'm out, no waiting for this evening.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

It's beyond stupid to ask players to read and obey rules that can easily be integrated into the game itself...but this is something that's been said many, many times.

Game rules are meant to be integrated into the game, and if NQ doesn't want to do that basic thing, at least they can have a lighter hand in enforcement. 

Hope you have fun in whatever game you find, @Cergorach! I'm sure there's plenty of other studios that would work much harder for your sub money. 

On 1/19/2023 at 4:58 PM, Cergorach said:

the wipe... My gawd the wipe! The wipe announcement! The 5+ months of 0 motivation due to the wipe announcement... The talent points after wipe. The 2.5 years of downgrading DU instead of introducing new interesting stuff...

i agree, wipes in MMOs are what also wipe players! i quit playing for over 2 years too when i heard they gonna wipe, in fact when i was first invited to check out DU, they said there wont be any wipes .. and when i heard there's a wipe, i stopped playing.

i have seriously depression, stress and anxiety issues, so wipe will also wipe all of my motivation. if there's ever going to be another wipe, then i'm 100% done with this game forever (unless they agree to give me my blueprints and materials back so that i can easily re-deploy what i had + the talent points).

personally the biggest issue i have with this game, is the LAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. i have never played any other game that lags so bad. my PC isn't the newest, but it can easily handle all the other latest games, such as Dying Light 2, Forza Horizon 5, Resident Evil Village ..etc, they all run perfectly fine in 1440p or even 4k, altho i gotta crank down a bit on things like anti-aliasin and shadow quality. ... but DU, i run it in 1080p with everything else on low and i still lag down to 20fps in some places and 60fps is not even possible, even when i look in the sky, game thinks it needs to render some other stuff too and still lags to 50-55fps. sometimes every rarely it's 60fps, but VERY rarely and only for couple of seconds, so there are some SERIOUS optimization issues and thing is ... i don't remember it running that bad in early access / beta. 2 years ago i played on same exact PC and it ran in 60fps.

not sure what they've done, but it runs worse than it used to.

running this game on HDD is now impossible, it stutters beyond playability, in requirements it should say that its impossible to run this game on HDD.

is it really THAT hard to optimize graphics? DU has so basic graphics that it should run native 4k on my PC with no issues! how is it SO BADLY optimized?

and NO, it's not CPU or RAM, its specifically GPU, my GPU is constantly under 100% use, while RAM is about 60-80% full and CPU is between 30-60% use and it's not just game, i have other stuff running on background, like browser, winamp, steam ..etc, so its understandable that more ram and cpu is being used, but GPU stands for Graphics Processing Unit, which is for drawing graphics on screen, so background programs do not consume GPU as they're not visible on screen, yet DU lags so extremely bad.

on top of that, if i'm correct, DU has been in development for about 8 years, so technically it's 8 years old game and my entire PC is newer than that and my PC used to be top tier back when i upgraded it, so DU should run like a dream on my PC, considering it was made on 8 year old tech, but instead ir LAGS like a big bag, why?

that's only problem i have with DU right now, they really need to fix the lag, i'd love to play this in 60fps.

Edited by Sethioz

10 hours ago, Sethioz said:

if there's ever going to be another wipe, then i'm 100% done with this game forever (unless they agree to give me my blueprints and materials back so that i can easily re-deploy what i had + the talent points).

You mean magic blueprints which is the one thing NQ promised we would get no matter what, if there ever was a wipe after the soft-release in beta... .. .

... The very nature of this game means that data cost per player monotonically increases as time and average asset accrual increases.

Unless they are literally rolling in paid up noobs who quit in their first year, there is no way they can avoid an eventual wipe and reset.

There will inevitably come a point when the amount of constructs a player has created causes the load in terms of storage and transfer to outstrip the monthly fee...  Centrally sourced single shards are, by their geometric nature of player-player interaction doomed to fall into decline if they support this level of data persistence.

Guys i read this honestly i dont get the issue something about 1300m but it should be 1000m anyway always facinating seeing carebears get burned out and read reasons they quit.

He start off with wipe and how traumatizing it was and all building lost, i feel u man. Specialy when all new content for wipe was that u get to repeat what u did one more time. 

On 1/21/2023 at 9:04 PM, Jinxed said:

Carebears? Interesting take... 

Take made bit rude and simplistic way, but there is some truth to it.

Like over this years when discussing game issues, quite a lot of people (on building/industy/streaming spectrum) were endlessly micro (and sometimes macro) agressing me for my rather vocal position over NQ misdoings and their consequences, ONLY to later quit game exactly because of things they were so fanaticly in denial. Wipe, as biggest example.

I sometimes temped to mock such people, even find their own quotes from before, but mostly keep myself on more dignified side.

Overall I think much more of social/pvp players got it much quicker that its nothing to wait from NQ, then average builder (carebear?) archtype who "tried to hope" longer.

Thios not about Cergorach tho, he was always pleasant and very reasonable guy in discussion.

On 1/19/2023 at 8:06 AM, blundertwink said:

Game rules are meant to be integrated into the game

Oh gawd, thank you!!! This needs to be said and repeated a million times!

Its fine for a community server to come up with complex community rules and limitations and enforce it with mods and admins by warning and banning because they don't make the game and can't integrate their system into the game. Its simply lazy for developers to NOT program everything into the software they are developing, instead having to come up with tertiary rules that don't even appear in the software itself.

6 hours ago, Owl_Superb said:

Its simply lazy for developers to NOT program everything into the software they are developing

Poor devs, always gets the blame. I'd like to point out that it often isn't up to the devs to prioritize what goes into the game.

I do agree that the game itself should enforce rules when it is possible.

It goes a bit further then that.

DU is supposed to be a open world building MMO, so the entire point is to explore and push the limits of what is possible in the game.

So it goes without saying that NQ enforcing a growing set of unwritten rules (not implemented inside the actual game) is such a game is at best paradoxical.